Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

8+1 creamy light brown discharge......terri fied, advice please?

(75 Posts)
DitsyDonkey Sat 16-Nov-13 13:29:59

So I just went to the toilet and when I wiped I got some creamy light brown discharge.

I'm terrified that I am going to miscarry. I have pcos and have been ttc for two and a half years.

I don't have any pain or cramping. Not many pregnancy symptoms except sore boobs and creamy white discharge up to now!

Cybercat Sat 16-Nov-13 21:32:30

Please don't lose hope yet. If you ovulated later than you realised (and other factors) then your dates could be out by a week or two. They probably arent as experienced as the early pregnancy unit nurses are so dont think the worst yet - I know thats easy for me to say x

Sammc1878 Sat 16-Nov-13 21:40:22

Just wanted to say I hope it is too early and that's why they couldn't see anything on the scan
Sending you big hug - I hope all turns out ok xx

stickysausages Sat 16-Nov-13 21:44:06

Please don't lose hope yet, it took 3 scans to see DS... My cycles are long & I wasn't as far on as they kept telling me I should have been!

DitsyDonkey Sat 16-Nov-13 21:55:00

Thank you for your support! I will update in the morning when the ring with the blood test results!

DitsyDonkey Sun 17-Nov-13 10:27:51

UPDATE!!!

Well I just got a phone call from the hospital, and the said my blood test came back positive with very high levels of hcg. So I am just so confused. I feel like I spent the night grieving and just wanted the phone call to confirm the loss.

I can't believe it, I know I'm most certainly not out of the woods yet as surely if their was something to see even the most inexperienced doctor would have picked it up on the scan, they spent ages looking. They also checked for ectopic btw.

I'm to ring in the morning for an appointment in the early pregnancy clinic.

Have any of you had experience like this with a positive outcome? X

tracypenisbeaker Sun 17-Nov-13 10:45:59

Like I said before, I had mild spotting but mine was accompanied by some cramping, which made me call my GP.. Over the phone, after telling her my symptoms, she told me that it was 'highly likely the pregnancy isn't viable.' She booked me in for an appointment the next day.

Thankfully, the next day, I spoke to a GP who didn't jump the gun as much and went to the trouble of phoning the early pregnancy centre, and they told me that as long as I wasn't in severe, continuous pain on one side and there was no clotting, there was no reason to worry for the time being as light bleeding (implantation) and cramping (your body adjusting) was very normal. I had managed to convince myself I was MC or having an ectopic pregnancy but it was so nice just to be reassured. I am currently 37+5.

The high HCG levels is a good sign- it is probably just too early to see baby on the scan. Are you 100% sure of dates? Are you fairly regular re ovulation and periods?

DitsyDonkey Sun 17-Nov-13 11:11:05

I'm not generally very regular and don't ovulate on my own so as I was on clomid I know when I ovulated as I could feel it.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 17-Nov-13 15:53:22

Good to hear your update.

It sounds like a poor scan or it is too early to see.

Fingers crossed a EPU scan shows the baby.

Try not to stress.

DitsyDonkey Sun 17-Nov-13 16:16:46

I have myself convinced that it is ectopic now. I need to step away from dr. Google.

I have had some weird dark brown super think stretchy mucous coming out it is nearly like very stretchy phlem but so glue like it will stretch but not really break.

MissMedusa Sun 17-Nov-13 16:25:40

Did they tell you how high the hcg levels are? Have you been feeling any one-sided pain?

A transvaginal scan should be able to pick up at least a sac at around 5 weeks. Definitely try to get an appointment with the EPU as soon as possible. You may well just be really early on but if it is ectopic you want to take care of that as soon as you can.

tracypenisbeaker Sun 17-Nov-13 16:26:48

If you must Google, then try to stick to reputable websites like the NHS. On there it says that ectopic pregnancies usually involve a pain on one side, which you haven't mentioned.

I hope you're okay, please try to be kind to yourself. Nature will take its course no matter what you do so there is no point torturing yourself until you get to the early pregnancy centre and find out what is what thanks x

DitsyDonkey Sun 17-Nov-13 16:30:35

No I'm not getting pain or any shoulder pain. I am in high alert for ny pain. They told me to one immediately n if I get cramps or heavy bleeding, I have a feeling that they think it may be ectopic also.

I am showered and ready to go if anything changes. I never thought time old go by so slowly.

Thank you for your advice!

ControlGeek Sun 17-Nov-13 19:21:00

So pleased about your blood test results. I just wanted to say that I've had a gynae consultant miss a 4cmx6cm fibroid and a 4cmx3cm endometrioma whilst doing a tv scan to investigate infertility. Total rubbish! If you can miss something that like, I'm sure an inexperienced scanner could miss an embryo at 8 weeks. Wishing you the very best of luck, and hope this works out well for you thanks

ControlGeek Sun 17-Nov-13 19:21:44

Oh, just remembered, he also missed 'classic' PCOS ovaries, too!

beata13 Sun 17-Nov-13 23:09:43

Hi there, I don't want to scare u, but I had similar on Wednesday afternoon, today is Sunday and its gone. Was 8+5. Very planned and and very expected. On Wednesday evening i've seen a doctor who didn't do a scan or anything, just asked questions and after said nit to worry. It's common that early on. Thursday morning as soon as I got up from bed I started bleeding. Heavy bleeding 3 hours later, had scan in epu and went home. Friday morning it happened. I've lost my angel. If I would go to polish private clinic I might have still be pregnant. I heard they prescribe some drugs to stop bleeding.

lastnightopenedmyeyes Mon 18-Nov-13 06:55:52

Beata I'm so sorry for your loss. I have suffered an early miscarriage myself this year. I just had to respond though to assure you, and anyone else reading who has any doubts, that nobody can prevent a miscarriage - regardless of how much money you spend or how fancy the clinic. There's nothing anyone can do if the pregnancy is not viable.
Look after yourself.

GillyBillyWilly Mon 18-Nov-13 07:10:25

Fingers crossed for you OP thanks

I think lastnight is right, there is sadly nothing that can be done to stop a miscarriage this early; I was told that it usually happens because the embryo wasnt viable. BUT if the pregnancy is ectopic then this does need urgent treatment.

Ps good luck op flowers

DitsyDonkey Mon 18-Nov-13 10:08:55

I'm in the early pregnancy unit. Though not feeling hopeful. I will update later. I think it could be a long wait!

beata13 Mon 18-Nov-13 10:10:54

Hope all goes well for u Ditsydonkey , whatever happened to me I wouldn't wish to anyone, not even an enemy.
Life's not fair, but that's just life.

beata13 Mon 18-Nov-13 10:19:52

Did u started trying again lastnightopenedmy ? Or how soon u think is ok to start trying again?
All doctors say different thing, I'm scared even thinking about it.
It just something I know my friend has done with this polish clinic, they weren't expensive, it's not about money, but the drugs they gave her made her son survive.
Don't get me wrong, but when u desperate u will try everything.

lizziekal Mon 18-Nov-13 10:56:43

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you DitsyDonkey.

Beata, your friend was probably given progesterone supplements which are prescribed for women undergoing fertility treatment or who have been diagnosed with luteal phase defect. Progesterone is essential for ensuring that the uterine lining is able to support early pregnancy and so in some countries if women experience spotting/bleeding in the first trimester, doctors will give them progesterone because it won't do any harm and in some (very rare) cases may do some good but it won't stop the 99.9%of early miscarriages from happening as general medical consensus is that naturally low progesterone levels are a consequence of a non-viable pregnancy (ie the embryo has chromosomal problems which are incompatible with survival). You are normally extremely fertile in the immediate months after a miscarriage - if it was a very early loss you can normally try again straight away, if intervention was needed they normally recommend waiting until you've had two normal periods xx

ChicaMomma Mon 18-Nov-13 10:59:41

beata13 miscarriages cannot be stopped- and a good % of them are chromozonally incompatible children and it's your bodies way of ending a life that would not be compatible outside of the womb- so this polish clinic you speak of sounds like it shoudl be put out of your mind tbh.

I know lots of people who have started trying after 1 normal cycle- so 4-6 weeks after a MC- and all been fine.

Ditsy i hope everything is ok. If it is you're really going to have to learn to think more positively if at all possible. I had almost 2 weeks of the kind of discharge you speak of and am now 10 weeks, so far so good. Hopefully you will be ok.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 18-Nov-13 11:03:18

Just caught up with the thread - good news about you blood results and I hope your appointment brings you further good news today x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now