Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low HC at 24 weeks

(13 Posts)
Waitingandhoping Fri 15-Nov-13 10:36:21

Have namechanged for this. Would really like to hear from anyone else with similar experience - 24 week scan shows HC right at the bottom of the chart, on the 3rd percentile. AC and FL both around 50th percentile. Going back for a repeat scan at 28 weeks, but not sure how I can get through the next month. Any experience/advice very much appreciated.

TeaAndANatter Fri 15-Nov-13 16:55:13

Just googled a piece of research on relatively smaller HC and outcomes, and a good portion of the pregnancies had good outcomes. I know nothing about this otherwise though, but wanted to not read and run. Wishing you hugs x

Waitingandhoping Fri 15-Nov-13 18:53:52

Thanks, really appreciate the reply. It appears that the fact that there are no other worrying signs is a good thing, but there's nothing we can do but wait and see, which is not easy. Thanks for your support x

Yummiliscious Fri 15-Nov-13 19:10:53

What you need to keep in mind is that those centile charts were made using statistics from normal babies. Some babies have smaller heads (3rd centile) some larger heads (98th centile) doesnt mean anything is wrong just normal variation. If the baby's head is steadily growing on the 3rd centile (not jumping centiles) and no orher problems seen then I would be re-assured. Good luck!

Waitingandhoping Fri 15-Nov-13 19:17:37

Thanks, it's a good point! Just hoping that the next data point will still be on the chart; we're right on the margin at the moment. Fingers crossed!

Waitingandhoping Thu 12-Dec-13 12:25:05

Just wanted to update, in case anyone is in the same position in future. Fortunately the scan today showed good growth and the baby's head is now well within the normal range. It's a massive relief. Thanks for the hand-holding smile

Brilliant news waiting!
So pleased for you thanks these babies like to keep us on our toes...!

BettyBi0 Thu 12-Dec-13 14:20:30

That is great news. I had a similar worry at a small for dates scan when some measurements were below 5th centile when others were fine. Worried so much about having a very scary looking baby or genetic condition until the next scan. 3 weeks later all the measurements had evened out and although baby still on the small side, all was in proportion.

I'm sure some bits just grow at different times during the growth spurts and the smooth average measurement graphs don't reflect this. Also, baby's position can make measuring really tricky

Waitingandhoping Thu 12-Dec-13 21:58:44

Thanks LastOneDancing and BettyBi0. I've been doing a lot of Googling of late and haven't found much that's reassuring, which is why I wanted to post about a positive outcome. I'm sure you're right and it's normal for growth to vary; I sometimes wonder whether all the scanning and monitoring is beneficial or just worrying...

Waitingandhoping Tue 18-Mar-14 19:04:51

Just wanted to finish the story... DD was born last week and her head circumference is absolutely fine. Hope this is reassuring for anyone who finds themselves in a similar position in future thanks

Iworrymyselftosleep Tue 18-Mar-14 19:10:23

C

Iworrymyselftosleep Tue 18-Mar-14 19:11:06

Congratulations! flowers thank you for updating too.

inmybelly Wed 19-Mar-14 06:42:07

Congratulations! And thanks for completing the story, lovely to hear a happy ending after all that worry!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now