Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

mince pies; tell me they are a part of a healthy nutritious diet for pregnancy.....

(15 Posts)
Monkeyandanimal Thu 14-Nov-13 06:48:53

....well, the main part really! I am such a bad baby carrier; i have had 3 mince pies for breakfast. I have eaten 2 packs of mince pies in the last 3 days. This is making me feel a bit guilty about baby.....but then he/she could get out now if they don't like the service (38 weeks). I have so few pleasures (poor me!) and DS2 is up at 5 every day; a few mince pies to get me through the early morning can't be so very bad....on the subject though, the LIDL ones were way nicer than the M&S....sorry to go on about pies....

beela Thu 14-Nov-13 06:57:42

I'd have thought they were quite balanced. There must be at least one of your 5 a day in a mince pie, plus some carbs etc. They are probably almost a health food. I made 36 with DS yesterday and I have a feeling that I the baby will be eating a large proportion of those.

I, however, am only 17 weeks, so this baby will have the whole of Christmas to get through. Now, if you can convince me that a tin of quality street has nutritional value then I will be very happy grin

(ps interesting news re Lidl mince pies)

Monkeyandanimal Thu 14-Nov-13 07:05:14

'almost a health food' grin

englishteacher78 Thu 14-Nov-13 07:05:38

Quality Street? That's milk chocolate. Good for your dairy. Just not a whole tin in one sitting (might take you over caffeine limit!).

PistachioTruffle Thu 14-Nov-13 07:10:05

Yup, an essential part of a nutritious diet, I'd say.

(I would say that, I'm 36 weeks pregnant and love mince pies normally anyway, any excuse is a good one in my book! I'd reccomend them warm with clotted cream, mmmmm)

impatienttobemummy Thu 14-Nov-13 07:12:22

I'm 37 weeks and just had one with icing on! I eat at least 2 a day... I love them. They are Definately nutritious and delicious so don't worry!

Pennythedog Thu 14-Nov-13 07:20:24

I ate a pack of 9 mini mince pies the other day. blush

I had terrible heart burn that night.

<hangs head in shame>

Meh, my 10 week old feotus is surviving on McDonalds, pizza and any other carb I can get my hands on.

Eat away.

callamia Thu 14-Nov-13 07:24:24

They're absolutely part of your balanced diet. Have you considered adding cream? I'm sure there's some lovely vitamin D in there for you too.

The joys of having a winter baby - I'm going to get some today. It's only fair that we introduce our babies to Christmas food

Spaghettinetti Thu 14-Nov-13 07:28:34

Oh definitely. They contain lots of oils that are good for baby's hair and skin, as well as being one of your five a day...and if you add cream, custard or evaporated milk, you're also getting extra calcium... Plus they probably make you happy and stimulate the pleasure centres of your brain which baby will pick up on! It's all good ;-)

Monkeyandanimal Thu 14-Nov-13 07:38:11

oh well in that case....(note to self; buy cream/custard/evap milk)...anyway, i still haven't tried the other brands, and it wouldn't be fair to not give them all a fair trial....

froubylou Thu 14-Nov-13 07:43:01

I'll help out with testing if you like?

Have accidently bought 2 packs from aldi and seeing as how I 'forgot' dp and dd don't like them it's down to me and baby to scofc them all. My EDD is 20/12 so it's my duty really to make sure baby experiences as much of Christmas as possible whilst he is developing.

Is it too early for Christmas cake?

Romily Thu 14-Nov-13 09:08:17

Technically fruit I would say wink

Fireytiger Thu 14-Nov-13 09:10:42

Definitely a healthy pregnacy diet - in costa's they are one of the lowest calorie rated treats! Approx 320 calories. You go for it!

Tiptop32 Thu 14-Nov-13 10:16:44

Hmmmm I want one now -- a couple of packets -- now. Have done a sickie today as work made my pgp so bad yesterday and just want some puff pastry ones for breakkie! Typically we have no milk in, so can't even be good and have Rice Krispies... Not sure I am up for getting dressed and walking to the shop. Lets hope bf has taken on board the texts I sent him about craving mince pies and brings me some home on his lunch break!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now