Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pain across ribs/under boobs

(13 Posts)
Shroomboom Sun 10-Nov-13 22:18:34

I'm 29 weeks pg with dc2 and have terrible muscular pain in a band across my ribs, right under my boobs, so much so that it wakes me up burning at night. It's starting to go into my back too sad I know it's muscular because it feels bruised if I touch it, and the only way to ease it slightly is by massaging it.

Does anyone know what this is and how I can get rid of it? I'm hardly sleeping because of it and have been signed off work due to fatigue. I feel awful! Can't lie on my side for longer than 20 mins or so as it starts to burn, and obviously not supposed to sleep on my back. Am a bit stuck!!

Any idea's?

EmB1715 Sun 10-Nov-13 22:58:57

Yes! I got this at around the same time as you. 36 weeks and afraid to say it's still there. Mine is due to baby being head down meaning her bottom is stuck under my ribs on the right hand side. It really burns doesn't it sad

BatPenguin Mon 11-Nov-13 00:46:21

I have this too! sad I'm 26 weeks and its soooo uncomfortable, especially in the morning. I told the midwife and she said it might be anaemia so have to wait for blood test results.

sleepywombat Mon 11-Nov-13 01:41:56

Baby kicking you in the ribs? Had the same with my first. Felt like so much more than kicks, pure agony. Much sympathy but not much advice, I'm afraid.

PumpkinPie2013 Mon 11-Nov-13 07:24:16

I also have this and I'm 37+6 now sad my baby is head down and has been for ages so it's bum is under my ribs and it also has a foot wedged in my right rib cage - ouch! sad

Unfortunately not much helps it sad warm baths and/or hot water bottle/bean bag on the area, paracetomol can take the edge off the pain, try not to stretch too much or lift anything - though that's easier said than done!

You have my sympathy! I saw the doctor about it and they were rubbish!!! X

PumpkinPie2013 Mon 11-Nov-13 07:26:55

Oh meant to add - get something for heartburn/indegestion if you haven't already. I use chewable rennie as I can't stomach gaviscon.

I had no idea I had acid reflux which was contributing to the burning sensation. Doesn't stop it completely but does help a bit x

ZingWantsGin Mon 11-Nov-13 07:34:31

not to alarm anyone, but it could be a sign for pre-eclampsia.

it would be a good idea to get your blood pressure checked and a urine sample tested.

hopefully it's just the ever growing baby and the womb that expanding "upwards" that causes the pain.

ladylashes Mon 11-Nov-13 07:48:40

Oh my god, I had the exact same thing the other night but I'm only 16 weeks. I assumed it was muscular pain or eind but it did feel really bruised and woke me up at night. I had my blood pressure checked at a routine appt on saturday and all fine x

ZingWantsGin Mon 11-Nov-13 08:03:29

the thing is, as the womb grows it pushes upwards, not only changing the position of internal organs a bit, but putting pressure on the lungs & ribcage too.

if that's the reason of the pain sadly there's nothing you can do (at least I'm not aware of what could be done)

PumpkinPie2013 Mon 11-Nov-13 08:30:32

Agree with Zing - do get checked if you haven't already. When my gp was totally rubbish I went to the antenatal assessment at hospital to get checked as I was worried.

Thankfully in my case all was well and it's just baby pushing up but better safe than sorry x

Shroomboom Mon 11-Nov-13 09:27:15

Oh gosh, so there's no hope then! Mind you, I have to say that dh gave me a back massage last night before bed, and it did help slightly. I managed to sleep which was a bonus!

Thanks Zing, was at GP's on Fri and blood pressure was fine.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this pain, but sorry that you all seem to have it too! It really hurts!

Bat would you mind updating re the anaemia? I know it can cause some pretty weird symptoms - I had severe anaemia a few years ago and my heels hurt so much I couldn't walk properly confused

Ladylashes I hope the pain was a one off for you. Hate to say it but mine has been around for at least a couple of months now, but is getting worse sad Makes sense that it's the ribcage expanding.

ZingWantsGin Mon 11-Nov-13 10:13:16

the only thing I can think generally is that going to an osteopath can help with aching backs, neck and limbs.

if anyone lives in Surrey PM me, I'm more than happy to forward you my guy (yes, he is mine, you can borrow him but I want him back!grin )

he is fantastic and incredbly knowledgeable. he does cranial osteopathy for newborns as well.

Otherwise go for one who is personally recommended to you.

BatPenguin Mon 11-Nov-13 11:28:04

Yes I will update re anaemia. I wouldn't be surprised if I am anaemic I'm white as a sheet now!

I meant to say that rib pain can be a sign or pre-eclampsia, my midwife checked my BP and urine last week and that was all fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now