Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Jillian Michaels Pregnancy Workout

(24 Posts)
TondelayoSchwarzkopf Wed 30-Oct-13 22:39:13

It doesn't exist but I wish it did!

I am used to doing the Shred and I can't get on with these Pregnancy Workouts with their tinkly music and references to 'baby' and 'cradling' and 'gentle stretching'.

I need sweat and shoutiness - any recommendations.

greentshirt Wed 30-Oct-13 22:53:16

What are the Tracy Anderson ones like? I'd imagine she would be the pregnancy equivalent of our beloved Jillian

Inglori0us Thu 31-Oct-13 06:55:58

Dammit. The title of this got me excited for some crazy Jillian action.
I agree and wait to read any suggestions. When I used to do aqua aerobics with my last pregnancy, I used to get told off for going at it too strenuously. It's not proper exercise!

PrincessKitKat Thu 31-Oct-13 07:24:35

I got excited too!
I can't find any antenatal aerobics classes or anything around here, only yoga - I need to sweat!

JamInMyWellies Thu 31-Oct-13 07:30:35

I just carried on as normal. I informed my class teachers who adapted certain bits if the class for me. Until I hit 26wks got spd and an enormous belly. Now 33wks and happily only doing preg yoga and brisk dog walks. But I am looking forward to going back to spin & body pump.

Cariad007 Thu 31-Oct-13 08:27:24

Before I got pregnant I was doing about 7-8 classes per week but now at 25 weeks I've cut back to 4 or 5. I still do body pump, body attack and body combat but have modified the exercises to keep them low impact and not overheat etc. The only thing I've had to give up is spinning as I've been getting tailbone pain. I'm planning to keep going with the classes as long as I can - I had a friend who did body combat until month 8 and an instructor who was still doing spinning when she went past her due date! I think the key is that it's ok to keep doing what you've been doing all along but not to take up anything new - I've been doing these classes for years but I would to suddenly take up running!

misskatamari Thu 31-Oct-13 08:58:39

Oh how I wish Jillian did one!

To be fair once I got pregnant I was sooo sick and ill for the first 4 months I couldn't do anything and now I'm too achey and massive to actually be energetic so will probably have to lump for stretching and cradling tho sad one can dream tho! I'm so looking forward to being able to shred again once baby is here! My arse has turned to jelly confused

ladylashes Thu 31-Oct-13 09:22:49

I got so excited at your message title!!! It was only yesterday that I said to DP that I wish Jillian had done a pregnancy workout. Her workouts are amazing.

I did the erin o'brien prenatal fitness fix yesterday and built up a bit of a sweat. You just need to get over the tacky and vomit inducing play acting with her husband (did you know she's married to actor james denton?!?! YAWN). Suzanne Bowen's lean and toned is pretty good but there is tinkly music in it.

I pray for the day a hardcore pregnancy exercise dvd comes out! x

Sunnysummer Thu 31-Oct-13 09:28:01

Also love Jillian Michaels and am not at all a fan of Tracy Smirky Anderson - but loved Sara Haley's Expecting More. That has a whole suite of works outs and even though there are a fair few corny titles (rocking the baby etc), the actual workouts are properly challenging. I was back to jogging 6 weeks after delivery, which is of course partly luck but also down to Sara keeping me fit smile

ladylashes Thu 31-Oct-13 09:38:21

Ooooh sunnysummer just looked up the sara haley dvd and it looks good. How did you get it in the UK? x

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Thu 31-Oct-13 17:52:17

Sorry to disappoint you all. We should start a change.org petition to get her to do one wink

I can't abide Tracey Anderson sorry. Will look up the other ones.

I should just do Jillian really (leaving out the abs or modifying them) but I feel weird doing jumping jacks with a belly. MW said whatever exercise you did before, you can do through pregnancy so I am sure it is fine.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Thu 31-Oct-13 17:55:59

I can't find any antenatal aerobics classes or anything around here, only yoga - I need to sweat!

Quite! I'm not much of an exercise fiend to be honest and during the first trimester I felt just too awful to do much but if I do exercise I want to feel it the next day! You need to be strong for labour and carrying a baby around, a bit of yoga is not going to cut it!

Also I really didn't like the chatty bonding bit before class (anti-social misery that I am)

greentshirt Thu 31-Oct-13 18:13:10

Been thinking about this, does she have a message board on her website? There must be other Jillian michaels fans in the same boat so might be some recs there

suprisepitstop Thu 31-Oct-13 18:16:34

The erin o brien one i thought was the best. dont get the davina one, its so easy as to be completely useless in maintaining any fitness or muscle tone

DownstairsMixUp Thu 31-Oct-13 18:22:23

I would still do Jillian Michaels when pg to be honest, I might just mofidy the moves slightly to suit my expanding frame or how i am feeling. I still did weights in last PG, DS was healthy 8lbs 6oz and my labour was quick! (2 hours 25 mins)

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Thu 31-Oct-13 18:22:42

Came on here to recommend Erin o brien, but see someone's beaten me to it. Her workouts are great.

greentshirt Thu 31-Oct-13 22:07:26

"You need to be strong for labour and carrying a baby around, a bit of yoga is not going to cut it"

This is so true. I keep remembering my first skiing holiday where I was woefully physically prepared and I dont want my labour to be the same, where my own strength stops me from being able to manage properly. As a non exerciser do you think there is anything I can get into (am only 17 weeks so have quite a lot of time to build up with gentle exercise) that will help?

Stevie77 Thu 31-Oct-13 23:58:27

Swimming? That's my plan. Couldn't carry on with Body Pump as was really feeling it sad

Sunnysummer Fri 01-Nov-13 19:59:54

I ordered the Sara Haley one direct from her website and it arrived quickly, good luck with the exercise!

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sat 02-Nov-13 09:47:06

Looked at Sara Haley, Erin O'Brien and Suzanne Bowen on YouTube before deciding on Suzanne.

Did Jilian this morning but it felt weird doing jumping jacks and some of the cardio - even though I'm only 17 weeks. Do those of you who jog or carrying on doing aerobics modify those? I ended up doing the cardio moves at very low impact - no bouncing at all.

DownstairsMixUp Sat 02-Nov-13 12:31:45

Pilates! Plus it's good for your pelvic floor to.

Jennoir75 Tue 18-Mar-14 07:22:43

I'm a massive fan of Jillian Michaels and needed a fitness DVD that filled that gap whilst I'm pregnant. One that made me sweat and gave me a proper work out. Erin O'Brien certainly does that. You've just got to ignore the music and cheesy pregnant talk. She's a winner for me and I have a high fitness level. She's married to Mike Delphino from Desperate Housewives too and he's on a section of it. I just do the main 45 min one though. Get sweating ladies : )

wm3010 Tue 18-Mar-14 08:59:50

Tondelay I have kept up with a general aerobics class throughout so far - currently 32 weeks. I kept doing all the cardio until about 25 weeks when I started toning down the bouncing as my bump was starting to bounce along too much! My instructor said it was fine as long as it was comfortable, so I think you just work to your own level - I have found in the last 3-4 weeks that I can't really deal with any bouncing at all as my bump then hurts so am just walking through the exercises - for jacks, you can do the arms but only one leg at a time so you don't have to bounce. I would say the Shred maybe isn't the easiest to adapt as the whole point is it is very quick and high impact - maybe a longer workout would be the answer so you get a bit more time to benefit from the modified exercises? I do pregnancy yoga too and our instructor is very strict about no abs exercises - worth checking some info on diastasis recti when the ab muscles split open so you know what to avoid as I think it would be really easy for someone who is used to exercising just to feel they can carry on with certain abs exercises and not realise the risk.

Helspopje Tue 18-Mar-14 09:04:29

tracey anderson hard!!!!

I used this one first and second time around having got on v well with her mat and dance cardio non preggo ones but fancy this for next time if there is one.

Didn't get on with Erin OBrien

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now