Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Please come and talk to me about reduced movement

(21 Posts)
DaleyBump Thu 24-Oct-13 01:14:58

I'm 34+5 with my first and was admitted to hospital yesterday after my 8th episode of reduced foetal movement. Like every other time, baby was fine but they wanted to keep me overnight so they could run traces as and when they needed to and so that they could send me for a scan first thing in the morning. When I got back from my scan, a team of doctors had a chat with me and they've decided to induce me at 37/38 weeks.

I'm happy with this, I'm practically frantic with worry at the level of reduced movement and I just want my little boy here as soon as possible now.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what can cause reduced foetal movement when no obvious problems can be found? I'm totally paranoid that there's something wrong with the placenta or the health of the wee one that's not been picked up on.

I just want to say, I know the whole "eat something sweet, have a cold drink, lie on your left side" routine. I do that every time before calling the hospital.

redcaryellowcar Thu 24-Oct-13 01:22:52

I am sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but suppose positively that if each time they are doing traces and scans all is well it might be just that you have a chilled out baby who wriggles less than most.
Sounds like they are taking your concerns seriously by inducing you, hope it all goes well, worth asking doctors or midwives same question, as I am sure they would be able to explain.

K8Middleton Thu 24-Oct-13 01:27:43

Space. Once you get to later stages it is very, very cramped in there and it is normal to have less movement than the middle bit of pregnancy. Or maybe just because.

You've done the right thing getting checked out and you're happy with your care plan so try not to worry now. Often in pregnancy random, scary things happen and it turns out fine in the end because you can't really get a full picture until after the birth.

Wishing you well.

DaleyBump Thu 24-Oct-13 01:28:02

Thanks for replying smile

I did ask but I was kind of brushed off because "it just happens sometimes". I am glad they're taking me seriously, though. I feel like such an idiot going up to the hospital all the time, I've seriously seen enough of the place.

DaleyBump Thu 24-Oct-13 01:30:34

Movements aren't supposed to decrease as your pregnancy progresses. Instead of kicks, you should be getting wriggles because they just don't have the space to move around any more but the movements shouldn't decrease. I've had the episodes of reduced movement since about 24 weeks when he definitely had enough space to kick about confused

out2lunch Thu 24-Oct-13 01:31:56

I had this nearly 20 yrs ago with my pfb ds.i was given a date to be induced but went into labour spontaneously the next day.
i was given a Doppler test at the hospital and the consultant explained that there could be reduced blood flow to the placenta.
ds was born at 39 weeks everything fine.it may be that your placenta is starting to slow down maybe your lo will be born early?
try not to worry but if I continued with the reduced movements I would keep going back to hospital.
good luck x

K8Middleton Thu 24-Oct-13 01:35:23

I was referring to the later stages when yes, they do move about less although still often. It's an arc of movement - well nearly an arc because it doesn't tail off in advanced pregnancy. I'll see of I can find a link just in case someone googles and finds the thread.

If this has been going on since 24 weeks then that's quite different. Some women don't feel anything until 22 weeks particularly if the placenta is anterior.

DaleyBump Thu 24-Oct-13 01:35:28

I'm so glad it's not just me. Thank you for your reply, that's really reassuring smile

ProtegeMoi Thu 24-Oct-13 01:38:26

Try not to worry like others said, they are monitoring you and taking precautions. It can be one of those things with no explanation but always best to play it safe and get checked out every time.

I felt like I never left the hospital with my son who had reduced movements, they induced me at 35 weeks after I went in and they were not happy with the trace, something to do with the heart not accelerating. He was absolutely fine and no cause was ever found as to what happened.

The good thing is when you go in for checks everything seems ok.

DaleyBump Thu 24-Oct-13 01:41:17

My placenta is posterior and high so isn't interfering with me feeling his movements.

Thank you Protege, glad your DS was fine smile

DaleyBump Thu 24-Oct-13 01:49:27

I've just read that back and I didn't mean to be snippy K8! Sorry smile

PumpkinPie2013 Thu 24-Oct-13 06:35:29

Hope it all goes well for you Daley - you've done the right thing getting checked so don't feel silly going to the hospital lots.

My mum had quite a few periods of less movement when she was having me (I'm almost 27 now so bear in mind that even then the technology wouldn't have been as good as it is now).

She went for monitoring and at first they couldn't find anything wrong but she kept persisting just like you and eventually they realised my heart rate was dipping as the cord was wrapped around my neck sad

I was induced at 35 weeks and born completely healthy - I just needed a bit of oxygen for an hour or so after birth. I've suffered no long term effects from any of it.

So I'm sure your little man will be absolutely fine - enjoy when he arrives xx

IneedAsockamnesty Thu 24-Oct-13 06:57:03

This is going to make me sound very silly,

When I was pregnant with my current youngest dc I had 4 checks for reduced movements ever single time whilst I was being monitored he was practically river dancing.

It was me getting so used to the movements I was not registering that they were happening.

But the hospital were very very clear that getting checked out if I was unsure was the right thing to do and much better than not doing so.

DaleyBump Thu 24-Oct-13 14:06:29

That's so scary Pumpkin but really reassuring that you're alright now smile

That doesn't make you sound silly Sock! smile

DaleyBump Thu 24-Oct-13 14:10:06

I always feel like such a burden going up to get checked all the time, I've had some really awful comments from mw's and a consultant. Things like "if you were in America you wouldn't be able to afford this", "go away and stop making a fuss" (I wasn't) and "you'll just have to stop coming up if you want to keep seeing the midwifes. Otherwise you'll be put under consultant care and we don't want that." They don't sound so bad when I've written them down but it's the way they were said - like I'm a silly little girl causing a fuss about nothing.

lola0106 Thu 24-Oct-13 14:57:01

Hi Daley, Don't have any advice but wanted to say I'm pleased you're out of hospital and they are taking you seriously! I'd rather be under consultant care and know everything is ok than not check! Hope everything goes ok for you between now and induction!

hettienne Thu 24-Oct-13 15:01:20

Forget the stupid comments - the most important thing is getting your baby out safely so you are 100% doing the right thing. If they really thought you were fussing about nothing then they wouldn't be inducing you.

oohdaddypig Thu 24-Oct-13 15:06:36

Daley - can I ask what you mean by reduced movement? Do you mean a very active wriggler has greatly reduced the number of movements or that you are getting some days when you have very few movements at all? All the extra checks - have they all been recent or over the last month?

I have had similar worries to you - and similar midwife issues - but you are absolutely right to get checked each time. All that matters is the safe arrival of your little one.

I would make sure they check the amount of fluid at your scan, too.

DaleyBump Thu 24-Oct-13 15:31:39

Thank you lola, glad everything is alright with you too smile sorry I never replied on your other thread!

You're right hettienne, thanks smile

oohdaddypig some days I'll get little/no movement and no amount of prompting will get him to kick. I've been getting monitored since about 24 weeks iirc. They send me for a scan after every episode of reduced movement to check the placenta/cord blood flow and the amount of fluid so it's quite reassuring that there's not any obvious problems there. Best of luck to you smile

tsw Thu 24-Oct-13 19:04:06

How far along are you? Can you ask to be an in patient for around the clock monitoring?

Those comments are INAPPROPRIATE from staff. Report them. I get so fucking angry at stuff like that. If you need consultant care, then you need it. Urgh.

DaleyBump Thu 24-Oct-13 19:39:14

I'm 34+5, but I wouldn't ask to be kept in anyway. Someone will need the bed more than I do and I'm moving house next week and getting married in two weeks, too much to do before baby gets here! smile

I would report them but I didn't think to get their names at the time. I just kind of shrugged them off but if they were said to someone else in my situation it might put them off going up to get checked. Ugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now