Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
Pregnant and just been offered an interview for a new job. What would you do?(28 Posts)
DH and I have been trying to conceive for 10 months since a miscarriage late last year. I decided in the interim period I should stop putting off applying for the next level of promotion as I didn't know how long it would take to conceive (I am a teacher).
I applied for a job I really like the sound of, and had heard nothing within a month of the closing date, so assumed I'd been unsuccessful. Found out I was pregnant a week and a half ago (7 weeks on Thursday) and found out yesterday I have an interview for the job.
I asked my head teacher's advice, and he said he thinks I should go for it anyway and see how I get on without revealing my up-the-duff status; my first instinct was to withdraw.
Any wise words?
Your HT is right.
Go for it. Decide if you like the school, if it seems like the right job for you.
And if it is and they offer, they will have to wait for you. Although be careful with your finances- a new job may mean less entitlement to maternity pay straight away.
Go for it, see what happens. If you are offered the job then tell them you are pregnant and work out the details then.
Go for it! You will have enough time to get into the job, and think you should listen to your head.
Head that should be as in HT not anatomy
I was in this situation and decided to withdraw from the interview process because I had just become eligible for enhanced maternity benefits at work plus I would have been about 7 months gone before I got to start the new job by the time I had finished my notice period. I can get a bit stressed about work and was a bit worried that I would get into that positon with a new role.
That said, if it had been my dream job I would have made it work. If you really like the sound of it, it has to be worth investigating further.
How strange-I've just heard I've got an interview too! I'm nearly 16wks though and definitely can't hide it. I'm going for it as my current job is ending in Jan so I've got nothing to lose. I do feel a bit guilty though. That said, I could get the job and then get pregnant so I think employers are aware of the possibility with women
At your stage I'd definitely go for it, and keep quiet until you've got it. Good luck, and congratulations!
They can't not offer you the job because you are pg, and you don't have to tell your employer until you are 25 weeks. These laws were brought in to help and protect you! Go to the interviews, don't say anything and see what happens - both with the job and the pg. if any one gives Yoruba hard time further down the line, feign numptiness and say you didn't realise.....
Go for it.
You've nothing to lose and at the very least it's good interview practice.
Thanks everyone. I'm in Scotland, so you go for a visit to the school a few days before the interview, so think I'll definitely go for that to see what the school is like.
I am worried about the mat pay thing - although it looks like LA transfers under the Scottish scheme so might be ok.
The only other worry would be increased workload and stress as it's an SMT job - not sure if that's ideal whilst pregnant. It would also be a bit more travelling, but quite a bit more money.
I suppose I can go and see what it's like and make my mind up from there. Can't make a decision at the moment so all advice is gratefully received!
I was in exactly the same position when I was about 6 weeks pregnant. I decided to withdraw as I would be starting a new position in September and then going on maternity in mid November. I think that was the best decision for both myself and the new school.
I couldn't imagine starting in September and trying to put 100% in a new post whilst being 6 months pregnant. I think I would also have felt compelled to rush back to work after only three months mat leave because I would have felt guilty about the school being left high and dry.
This doesn't mean I think you should necessarily withdraw but I would consider is it fair on the new school to take you on when you know you are going to be going off in a few months time? Plus is it fair on yourself to take on extra stress at a time when you will have a lot of that through the pregnancy? My initial response was to apply anyway but a friend pointed all of this out to me and I am glad I withdrew in the end. Other jobs will be out there in the future.
I probably wouldn't go for it for the reasons outlined by the last poster; you need to give your all to a new job, especially a promotion, and being pregnant it's hard to give your all to anything! (except growing a baby!)
That said, it has been done by plenty of others, it's doable and if they really want you they can wait for you. I'm not in Scotland but I know that transferring within LAs here in England is possible without losing maternity benefits.
Congratulations too, what excellent news!
Oh and will you want to be part time after your baby is born? As it's hard to be on smt and part time, and maybe even impossible in some circumstances.
Subject to the impact on your maternity pay, I would say go for it! Your pregnancy may not be difficult, you may get enhanced maternity pay on the higher salary, you'll have the higher salary to go back to - I think it'd be daft not to try.
For what it's worth, I found working while pregnant with twins mostly ok. I was tired in the evening, but think that's to be expected carrying twins, commuting 2 hours each way and working FT. I found it harder on my return to work as my brain was trying to be in two places at once, but don't see why a new job would make that any harder if you work several months in the new role before maternity leave.
In your position, and subject to maternity pay impacts, I would do it
I went for a promotion morning I got bfp. Got offered it, negotiated higher pay than they were offering then when I accepted said by the way I'm pregnant. Felt bad but you can't put career on hold all the time. At my work you don't have to tell them your pregnant until 6 months but I told them very early to avoid an awkward relationship (although not until I'd been offered job as didn't want it to affect my chances)
It sounds like you need to double check whether the maternity pay would transfer. My understanding is that teachers get a pretty decent package, so if you were going to swap this for £140 a week maternity allowance it would have to be a very good role. Not that I doubt what posters on here are saying, but best to get it from somewhere official. Your union, perhaps. Or if you're offered the position, tell them then and get them to confirm the maternity pay in writing as part of the offer.
But yes, go to the interview and see what it's like. Why make a less informed decision now when you don't have to? You can always turn it down.
Definitely go for the visit and interview. You may decide the school isn't for you when you get there or you might not be offered the job! Are you primary or secondary? I'm secondary Biology teacher in Scotland and just finished my probationary year before the summer. Got a permanent job after a lot of interviews but a lot off schools seem to be filling posts with internal candidates.
I don't think you should stress until you are actually offered the post, look on it as experience at least.
My experience is from 12 years ago and I do think things have moved on for women in the work place since, but I will tell my story anyway.
I was a couple of weeks pregnant when I was asked to apply for an internal promotion, the implication being that I had a very good chance of getting it. I thought long and hard, I hadn't got a reason not to apply, it was a good job that I would have enjoyed and been good at but as posters have already said any new job is hard work and being pregnant and then having a new baby is also hard work.
Anyway in the end I went to my prospective new boss and explained (far too early in the pregnancy and in strict confidence) that I didn't feel able to apply.. He was very appreciative that I had been straight with him.
A colleague got the job and it turned out she was also pregnant!
So she had a few months of pregnancy where (IMVHO) she wasn't really interested in the job - FWIW I think she really did want it and intended to do a good job when she took it, but not easy in a new job anyway and if you're feeling rubbish almost impossible. Then she had her paid maternity leave on a higher salary than me.
But, when it came to going back the bosses bent over backwards to keep me and find attractive part-time employment. For some strange reason it was impossible to find anything suitable for her, unless she wanted to return f-t to her new high stress job, which she didn't as a new mother.
As a result of being able to "keep my hand" in part-time while my DC were small my career is now well ahead of hers.
I know you're not allowed to say it but employing women of childbearing age is a pain. Every time an employer feels "stitched up" by someone taking a job only to be on ML for 12 of the first 18mths, they will think twice about employing a woman at all next time.
I'm not in teaching but took a new job when doing IVF in the summer. Was completely open about it and they offered me the job and I found out I was pregnant a few days before starting. It hasn't been an issue for them but I did struggle with tiredness, feeling grotty and trying to learn so much at the same time. I'm also conscious of the reaction I'm going to get from clients when it becomes obvious I'm pregnant as I wonder if people will think badly of me for taking a job when pregnant. This was a new role at the company and they desperately need someone doing it and I'm not sure what's going to happen when I leave. Not my problem I know.
I've now been here 2 months and I don't really like it though but I keep thinking I only have another 5 months to go and I can leave!
do the interview. See how you feel afetr the whole process. You might find the job isn't for you afterall. If you are offered, there isn't anything to stop you declining the role.
Really appreciating all the feedback - thanks everyone.
Have checked mat pay situation and I would be entitled to the same benefits if I moved LA, which puts my mind at rest for that. I wouldn't be able to even consider moving jobs otherwise.
Blackholes I would definitely go back full time - couldn't afford not to, and I'm the main earner too so would only be taking around 6 months off.
I am definitely going to visit the school to find out more about the remit - I applied for this job as it sounded like the remit was all things I'm interested in, whereas some SMT jobs in schools are so dull!
Engineering I absolutely agree with you - I think I'd feel like a bit of a cheat going for the interview knowing I was pregnant. My HT said that he would still appoint if someone disclosed at the final round of interviews that they were pregnant, but I think that would perhaps be a minority view.
Xena the timings would be slightly better because in Scotland you don't have to wait for an end of term to give notice - I would have to give 8 weeks notice as I'm a HoD (4 weeks notice for classrom teacher) and wouldn't be going on mat leave til June, just before we break up for the summer.
I think you should go for it. Its against UK law to discriminate against you because you are pregnant. Why shouldn't you get the job if you are the right person for the job? I went for an interview about 9 years ago at 6 months pregnant and still got the job. I also have just started a new job and am pregnant. If you want the job, go for the interview.
I interviewed for 2 roles in early pregnancy without letting on. Both within the company i currently work for. I was successfull with 1 of them, i have accepted and the job starts as i leave for maternity next march (training and exams) so not good timing really but work have been fine. Go for it.
I was in a similar situation. I went for a job interview (promotion - second in department) but didn't know I was pregnant. I got the job but really panicked when I found out.
Then HT encouraged
told me to e-mail new HoD and explain the situation. I didn't get a reply for a few days which made me feel awful. Then I got a lovely e-mail back amd they've given me a fab timetable and responsibility area this year and everyone is really supportive.
I'm soooooo happy in my new job and do not regret applying for/accepting the job at all, and new school have said nothing but positive things.
Go for it!!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.