Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help, so sick

(16 Posts)
chattychattyboomba Sat 19-Oct-13 19:23:21

8 weeks pregnant with DC2. Is it possible it could forget how bad this is? Lasted 6 months with DC1. I cant cope that long! Can't stop throwing up. Can't eat. So much saliva. Have today eaten 2 spoons of rice cereal, 1 piece of toast and a few mouthfuls of rice ( feel like puking just thinking about it!) everything stinks and am really struggling with poor DD1 (2.5) who doesn't understand. Have to fly long haul next Friday and I can't contemplate getting dressed let alone packing etc. someone help me! Can't someone please come and make me better? confusedconfusedconfused Feeling desperate.

ilooklikegrotbagstoday Sat 19-Oct-13 19:27:09

On my way out but didn't want to read and run. Check out the hyperemesis support thread on here. Hope it helps. I really feel for you.

BikeRunSki Sat 19-Oct-13 19:37:49

Also on my way out, but I have been in your situation trice, second time also with a 2 yo. Probably the worst times of my life. Please try and keep hydrated, and have a look at pregnancy sickness support. If the thought of even a sip of water is unbearable (and it was to me) then possibly try melting an ice cube in your mouth. You and your baby will manage without good (me and mine did for 8 weeks) but fluid is essential (unfortunately mine mostly came via hospital drip).

VivaLeThrustBadger Sat 19-Oct-13 19:39:58

There is medication you can get to help. Ask your GP about ondansetron, its the best one but quite expensive so they may be reluctant. There's also cyclizine but that can make you drowsy, not good with a toddler or a long haul flight. Hope you feel better soon.

chattychattyboomba Sat 19-Oct-13 19:44:51

Thanks for replies. I will take anything. Would rather feel tired thN nauseated ( would rather feel neither but given the option!) I have been trying to book an appointment. Scared they won't take me seriously like last time (please no one mention effing ginger!) will see how I go though and might take DH for moral support. He's more of a hard arse than me so will hopefully tell them I mean business. Bleuuuuuugh!

ilooklikegrotbagstoday Sat 19-Oct-13 20:27:20

Right, not going out now, DS2 has another ear infection and is asleep on my lap at the moment but I anticipate a loooong night.

I was so so sick all the time and exhausted while pregnant with DS2 and I couldn't even keep a sip of water down. I muddled along desperately like this for weeks. I was green and so so weak when I eventually dragged myself to the drs. I thought they would tell me to stop fussing, that it was morning sickness and to get on with it. She did some tests and sent me straight to A and E where I was admitted and kept on a drip for a week. I can't remember the name of the medication I was sent home with but it worked wonders. I could eat, drink and was able to look after DS1 again. If the first dr isn't helpful, see another one.

Ginger! <shakes head and rolls eyes> I tried it every in format bleughhh didn't help at all"

BikeRunSki Sat 19-Oct-13 22:18:44

Also on my way out, but I have been in your situation trice, second time also with a 2 yo. Probably the worst times of my life. Please try and keep hydrated, and have a look at pregnancy sickness support. If the thought of even a sip of water is unbearable (and it was to me) then possibly try melting an ice cube in your mouth. You and your baby will manage without good (me and mine did for 8 weeks) but fluid is essential (unfortunately mine mostly came via hospital drip).

BikeRunSki Sat 19-Oct-13 22:21:50

Sorry, posted twice hours apart.

The pregnancy sickness support website I linked to helps you talk to Doctors to get them to take you seriously.

chattychattyboomba Sun 20-Oct-13 11:07:59

Thanks for the link bikerunski - also reassuring the see people being prescribed medication on some of the forums for much less severe symptoms. Now feel I will not be expected to suffer in silence.

chattychattyboomba Mon 21-Oct-13 00:27:19

Update... Prescribed buccastem which has done sod all so far. Lost 5kg (am usually 67kg height 5'11)... Key tones etc are apparently fine so doc said all good just 'continue as you are' (I.e vomiting bile 24/7 unable to keep food down and generally feeling like crap) confused

BikeRunSki Mon 21-Oct-13 08:19:19

The meds may take a while to work, bit if you keep on being sick your ketones will increase and the dr will have to step up. Take yourself to a&w instead. On fact, do it now.

sarahquilt Mon 21-Oct-13 08:52:05

I don't have any tips but just wanted to offer sympathy because I'm a fellow sufferer. I wake up around 4 every morning, already feeling nauseous. I vomit every morning, before I even get a chance to eat. It's rotten!

marzipanned Tue 22-Oct-13 20:44:25

Give the buccastem a couple of days to work but if it doesn't then ask for different drugs/see a different doctor - I have been very lucky to have an incredibly understanding one but not all are equally sensitive to the horrors of N&V/HG.

Though I also ended up in hospital before even seeing my GP about sickness (thought it was normal, not that serious, etc)

Do you absolutely have to take this flight? I wound up cancelling everything in my diary for the first four months of pregnancy, including quite an expensive long haul holiday which we couldn't get a refund for. Remember your and baby's health is the single most important thing right now.

chattychattyboomba Wed 23-Oct-13 14:13:57

Marzipanned thanks. I wish I didn't but it's thousands of pounds and we have booked it months ago. GP's can't wait to see DD and DH been working so hard and desperate for a break. Said he doesn't want to go without me. I will get through it I think (hope). I have my aunt taking care of Dd tonight and tomorrow so I can pack...dogs have been sent away (thank God they smell like shit on sticks!) and DH is doing a lot of running around and generally being my hero. Thanks for all the support x

Seeline Wed 23-Oct-13 14:27:19

Beg for the cyclizine - it does make you sleepy but it does work wonders.

marzipanned Wed 23-Oct-13 14:47:48

I understand, good luck smile At least there will be plenty of sick bags on hand... and hopefully once you're there, you'll be very well looked after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now