Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Am I the only one looking forward to labour?

(36 Posts)
ChristineDaae Sat 19-Oct-13 11:20:48

This will be DC2, with DD I had to be induced, stuck on the bed as she was moving too much for them to monitor if I was even sitting, drop turned up too high so contractions were was too close, pushing for over an hour to be told baby wasn't in the right position, prepped for a section only to be told to start pushing 5 min after the epidural...
Now surely that should put me off, but I'm actually really looking forward to this time. The problems I had with DD haven't happened this time so hopeful I won't have to be induced and can do it on my terms.
Whenever I tell someone in RL that actually, I'm quite looking forward to it, they look at me like I'm mad. So come on... Surely I'm
Not the only one?

Excited85 Sat 19-Oct-13 11:39:55

I am!! I don't think you're mad, it's one of the biggest things you go through as a woman, it's a huge physical and mental challenge with an amazing reward at the end. Even if it all goes 'wrong' I'm looking forward to giving it a good go and am desperate now for it to strt so I can meet my little one :-)

RubyWindsor Sat 19-Oct-13 11:50:08

Another one looking forward to it here! Not the pain aspect obviously but the amazing result we get at the end smile I just want it to happen now, these last few weeks really are dragging hmm

Slippersandacuppa Sat 19-Oct-13 13:42:04

Me too! I've done in three times and can't wait to do it again! I've never taken drugs so I think this must be how I get my fix - such a natural high.

HotCrossPun Sat 19-Oct-13 13:50:55

So glad I'm not the only one!

We are having our first baby in March and having a homebirth. I love planning things, big birthdays, holidays etc, and getting excited about them beforehand. I'm exactly the same with the thought of labour. grin

I've already picked out the birth pool we are having, ordered some cool underwater lights for it. Going to get some of my favourite scented candles, champagne in the fridge, new P.js for the first night with the baby.

My poor DP must be so sick of me whittering on about it (he's too polite to say) but the whole thing is just so exciting.

When are you due OP?

I am too smile This is my third, with my 1st I had a homebirth all planned etc, was doing so well at home and then in the end ds was back to back, I had a 36 hour labour ending up with keilands forceps and 3rd degree tear... Dd I also had in hosp as there was a condition that my consultant was concerned she might have, I also had an epidural because my thinking was - if things were going to be taken out of my hands again I didn't want to miss the actual birth and I was that worried she wouldn't make it that I couldn't manage the pain as I did first time around.

This time Im trying at home again, I figured if I could manage the back to back pain with ds then I'll be fine.... grin Due end of feb and cant wait to meet my son.

heidihole Sat 19-Oct-13 14:38:21

Christ, you're all loopy! Due number 2 in Feb and already wishing I could skip the birth smile

SpoonfulOfJam Sat 19-Oct-13 14:40:20

I am too. It's my first so I think I am still a bit deluded. Glad I have finished work because everyone just kept talking so negatively about childbirth. I know it's going to hurt, and honestly, I was terrified of it for as long as I can remember up until I actually got pregnant, but now I can't wait to experience it. It's something I feel I have to go through.

Romily Sat 19-Oct-13 15:49:18

I am looking forward to meeting my son, not the hard work before hand.

ringaringarosy Sat 19-Oct-13 16:28:57

im looking forward to it,ive done it 4 times before so its obviously something i enjoy!

BlackholesAndRevelations Sat 19-Oct-13 16:57:20

spoonful, I hate that about people, always going kn about the negative! What's the point?! Baby has to come out so there's no point worrying about how!!

There's no doubt that labour hurts, but I found both of my labours so amazing and empowering that I can't wait to do it all over again at Christmas! grin

princesscupcakemummyb Sat 19-Oct-13 20:10:38

me i am this is dc3 38 weeks now loads of signs then nothing happens just want my baby boy now bring on the pain grin

PinkWitch803 Sun 20-Oct-13 01:44:35

I am looking forward to it all, blood, pain and tears inlcuded.

SuffolkNWhat Sun 20-Oct-13 01:51:47

DD2, 38 weeks, on day 4 of latent phase BRING ON THE PAIN!!!!

PinkWitch803 Sun 20-Oct-13 05:55:38

Go suffolk go (waves poms poms and back flips). All the best ;)

glastocat Sun 20-Oct-13 06:03:07

You are all mad grin

Bigbouncingbaby Sun 20-Oct-13 06:25:08

And me sick of being pregnant and huge bring on the labour and baby I say !!! Last few weeks dragged .... No whole pregnany dragged been horrid roll on DS smile

DoingTheSwanThing Sun 20-Oct-13 06:32:43

Just a quick "you're not all mad"!
I loved labour first time around, amazing, powerful feeling and I didn't experience it as painful. Went for a shower after the event and wanted to do it again. It's not always bad smile
Good luck!

Xenadog Sun 20-Oct-13 08:54:03

God, I just want to get this pregnancy over and done with! They can rip my baby out of my left nostril if they need to - I just don't care! All I want is the labour over and done with so I can begin the next phase of my life with LO and get my body back on the way to being a non-incubating,storage unit which I bloody hate!

I am not bothered about the pain (plug me into an epidural as soon as) or the hospital or even what happens to my body during and after the labour - I will be on the "mend" from pregnancy and that is what I am setting my sigh on.

ChristineDaae Sun 20-Oct-13 12:48:17

So glad I'm not the only one grin does everyone look at you like your insane if you admit it IRL? You first timers who are excited - good for you, I was terrified first time round!
Only 26 weeks so a good while to go, but I just can't wait. Good to know I'm not a weirdo, or at least that some of you are too

Lj8893 Sun 20-Oct-13 12:58:19

I can't wait!!! Every day I'm praying is the day I go into labour haha.

I'm not scared about it, at the end of the day its going to happen and yes it's going to hurt so what's the point of being scared about it?! I am aware that this probably makes me very deluded!!

I just want to meet my baby now!

SicknSpan Sun 20-Oct-13 13:09:45

Me too- only 7/8 weeks with dc3 but the last two were relatively straightforward and shortish (4.5 and 5.5 hrs) so I am hoping no 3 won't be too different!

Amazing feeling of love and "I am woman hear me roar!" afterwards that if bottled, would curveball the evils in the world.

SicknSpan Sun 20-Oct-13 13:13:16

I meant it would cure all the evils, but I guess curveball works too.

Panzee Sun 20-Oct-13 13:17:21

I was really looking forward to it second time round after an 'elective' section with my first. Got my oils, lights and plinky plonky music all ready. grin
Unfortunately he refused to move and because I couldn't be induced it was off to theatre again! I have never experienced a contraction. Not one! I felt a bit cheated at the time but it's not really important as my son grows and develops.

Hope it all goes well for you all smile

Indith Sun 20-Oct-13 13:36:32

I love giving birth. First time was a bit overwhelming, second time pretty awesome, I felt every little bit of her body slide out of me and the MW was brilliant. Number 3 was the absolute best, I knew exactly what I was doing, knew my body and the way it works perfectly. I could do it againa nd again and again. I feel sad that I won't ever get to do it again.

The bit I don't want is another child grin.

I wouldn't mind the first couple of days on the sofa sniffing a newborn head though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now