Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

any one know anything about gd

(7 Posts)
terilou87 Fri 18-Oct-13 20:25:37

So, I did a gtt test on Wednesday and received a call from midwife to say they want me to see them at the hospital next Wednesday as my results are borderline, first bloods were 5.5 which the mw said was exactly the cut off and second were 7.4 but anything under 8.5 is within range, mw said she thinks it could be an indication I may be developing gd, then it struck me confused,I know nothing about it other than it can cause big babies, iv googled and can't really find much info about it other than change diet. So any one who knows anything any advice ect will be much appreciated, smile

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 18-Oct-13 20:34:46

It puts you at higher risk of a few things like high blood pressure mostly resolves itself but does leave you at higher risk of type 2 diabetes when your older,

You may have to have a few growth check scans,that's all I can remember off the top of my head

terilou87 Fri 18-Oct-13 20:51:00

Thanks for replying, I have to have growth scans anyway as dc3 was classed as small for gestational age. Im worrying myself really more because I don't know much about it, I suppose I'll find more out on Wednesday. X

TarkaTheOtter Sat 19-Oct-13 05:36:52

If they do decide you have gd they will get you to check your blood sugar regularly throughout the day (usually before and after meals). The aim is to keep your blood sugar between normal levels. Most women can do this by changing their diet (cutting out high GI foods) and doing exercise. If the GD becomes more severe (it can get worse as pregnancy progresses) you may need metformin (tablets) or insulin (injections).
All the risks of GD occur when it is undetected or badly managed. If you keep your blood sugar levels at normal levels you have no higher risk to the baby than someone without GD.

All women have glucose intolerance to some extent during pregnancy so you might find that actually it is very easy for you to keep your sugars in the normal levels despite "failing" the GTT.

terilou87 Sat 19-Oct-13 08:02:13

Thanks tarka your post was really useful, hopefully I'll be able to control my diet to help, really don't want to end up on medication,
I was shocked when mw rang, this is dc5 and never had it before although I know it can occur in any pg, it was one of those things I just assumed wouldn't happen to me! Kind of naiveblush, it has made me think about shifting this weight sooner than later. X

TarkaTheOtter Sat 19-Oct-13 20:41:16

No problem. GD is really common. You're results aren't that far from normal so you may well be able to diet control, especially if you are quite far on (can't see how pregnant you are but GD tends to get worse between 24-36 weeks).
Don't feel guilty because its not all about weight either. Lots of different factors increase risk of GD and genetics play a big part.

terilou87 Sat 19-Oct-13 20:49:35

I'm 28 weeks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now