Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can we talk eating please? Would appreciate any advice :)

(17 Posts)

Hi all, apologies if this kind of thread has been started before but Im feeling very stuck.

Ok so I have ds7, dd5 and almost 22 weeks preg with number 3. As you can see, theres a 5/6 year gap between this baby and my dd. Over the past couple of years I found that eating low carb suited me very well, I wasn't completely strict in that Id occasionally have rice or a jacket potato etc, it did me good to leave out bread and pasta as these foods bloat me. Of course eating this way I didn't eat much fruit, but I was certainly healthier as was eating lots of veg and salad, good meat and fish etc.

Im struggling with what I can/cant eat. Id like a jacket potato and salad for tea tonight, and a salad wrap for lunch but these all contain foods I 'shouldnt' eat. I think I need a basic set of rules to stick to because now all the 'free rein' is too much for me. Such as - drink lots of water, keep enjoying your odd mug of Horlicks, yes you can snack on fruit, have the occasional biscuit but watch your sugar intake etc Would this be sensible?

I started out 9st 3lb, and Im already 10st 10lb. So much on the net etc says this is too much, even though Im walking a few miles each day and not gorging myself. I don't know whats right and what isn't, I saw my gp the other day about something else, forgot to mention this but she isn't concerned about my weight. I should prob also say that Im 5' 3" so extra weight is pretty obvious, pretty quickly! My maternity jeans are getting too tight around my thighs and arse and I think that's bringing me down a bit, Ive obv got 18 weeks left to go and plenty more growing!

How is everyone else finding things? I refuse to spend the remaining time of what could be my last pregnancy worrying about this, I guess I just need someone to tell me (hopefully!) that what Im doing is okay. Im not intending to cut the carbs out whilst pregnant as Im on the fence somewhat about that, its more like Im asking if eating what Im suggesting is okay? And shall I get dh to put the scales in the loft? grin

hazchem Fri 18-Oct-13 12:30:30

No proper advice but I'm in the same boat(sort of) I'm only 5 weeks but in the past year have put on loads so finding out I'm pregnant has happened at the same time as realizing I've jumped quite a few sizes. I low carbed before and felt good and want to sort of keep it up but have been rubbish.

I am however writing down what I eat. This is a real eye opener as I snack loads more then I thought and I think that is my down fall.

hazchem - congratulations!

I think writing everything down is prob a good idea. Having spent so much time eating a particular way its quite difficult to now somewhat 'ignore' what you went by initially.

I know in the grand scheme of things Im not going to be pregnant for long, and I don't want to waste more time worrying about this. .

catameringue Fri 18-Oct-13 12:52:05

I like low carbing but for the last 13 weeks that has gone out the window. Choc central here. Luckily I've only started putting on weight but I too don't want to be facing a mammoth weight gain.

When the sickness goes I'm gonna return to no sugar but allow myself carbs like potatoes, cous vous, rice etc. and of course veg. In this colder weather I like soup.

That's what Im thinking catameringue. Its not like Im going for takeaways or fried foods etc. I think the weight I put on first was due to the sandwiches I was eating, kept the sickness away but was obv a shock somewhat having been eating low carb before that.

Im hoping I'll be able to run/walk and breastfeed the weight off afterwards... Breastfeeding did wonders when I was feeding my son, I was recalling earlier taking him 'swimming' at 3 months old and whilst Im sure I felt a bit self conscious, I obviously didn't feel so bad that I couldn't bring myself to get in the pool.

With dd I wasn't as out and about as I was with my son, as this time I had a newborn and a 2 year old so couldn't really get a good long walk on as much as Id like, plus the tiredness was unreal. Im hoping now this time as I'll have a newborn and 2 at school that after the school run I can make sure to get some decent walking time in.

SpoonfulOfJam Fri 18-Oct-13 13:54:10

I put on a lot of weight in the first 14 weeks when all I could face was white bread, after previously being quite careful about how much bread I ate.

I have continued eating bread, and also started eating more white rice and pasta- simply because I fancy it. But I was careful with junk food and takeaways in the second trimester and the weight gain really slowed down.

Since about 32 weeks, I thought f- it, Im in my third trimester, the weight is going to come on now anyway, I might as well enjoy myself and eat a bit of crap. I have put on 3 stone in total which I think is ok (only weighed myself at the doctors once, at 38 weeks- I went by how I felt rather than what the scales said). I am reasonably pleased with my "diet plan" over the pregnancy, I feel like I have enjoyed "eating for two", but in moderation.

mrsvilliers Fri 18-Oct-13 15:08:41

I think get your DH to put the scales in the attic and relax a bit. I'm asking my midwife to weigh me at every appt, not so I panic about the weight during pregnancy but more so I know where I am weight gain wise at the end if that makes sense. Still a stone up from ds.

And yes, sounds totally fine what you're proposing!

Thanks for replies smile

SpoonfulOfJam - I think I did the same - white bread was my friend in the 1st trimester and I do fancy the odd bit of toast. Im figuring now that as long as I keep doing my best, and be careful with foods that I should be careful with anyway (takeaways, junk) then hopefully I wont be too unhappy with myself when ds is here. Like you've said, Id like to enjoy some foods in moderation and not deny myself.

With my other two I didn't own a set of scales, and wasn't weighed once by midwives so have no idea of how much I put on etc. As Ive been watching my weight for so long its hard to switch off. I think this is prob just how I look when pregnant, I'll never be 'just bump', its like as soon as I find out Im pregnant I bloat, and thicken up around my middle/thighs/bottom straight away blush its the changing shape I think Im struggling with, even though I know its to be expected.

mrsvilliers - yes I think that's the best idea, I know Im going to put weight on, and beating myself up about every change on the scales isn't the way to go. That number is only going to go up for the time being isn't it. I don't mean I'll go 'oh what the hell I'll eat what I like now' but feeling bad about myself isn't the way to enjoy being pregnant.

I guess I need to remind myself that I got it off before, and get rid of the scales and tight jeans, and buy some good long tops that I can wear with leggings and be comfortable. I think Im worried that it'll be harder to get the weight off with it being my third, though I have no basis for that thought!

Thanks thanks

lineup Sat 19-Oct-13 08:37:38

sounds like your baby & body are telling you what it needs.

I wouldnt worry, enjoy the pregnancy, everything in moderation. you are growing a baby remmeber!

you will get your figure back once it's born/feeding etc

Sneezy86 Sat 19-Oct-13 10:44:59

Don't know if this will help but just remember that for every person out there like you there is a me somewhere at the other end worrying. Was 9st7lb before pregnancy, currently 26 weeks and just hit 10st. Everyone keeps telling me how thin my face has gone and how small bump looks and I want to hit them all.

Yes I have had HG throughout and 3 hospital admissions with kidney stones but the midwife and docs are happy with my bump size and baby size so I'm trying to believe them. You said your doc was happy so try and believe them too smile

lineup - that's what I need to keep reminding myself. Dh says 'give yourself a break, youre growing a baby' its like sometimes I cant see the wood for the trees. I think too much about the weight/my shape, but then I feel a wriggle or an almighty kick and remember exactly whats important right now!

Sneezy86 - Im sorry to read that people are making such comments to you, its hard to brush things off when youre pregnant isn't it. Try and take no notice, and keep going by what your midwife and doc are telling you, because theyre the ones that know. When I was carrying my son and still had a few weeks left I had a woman (complete stranger) ask me in a shop how much longer I had left. When I told her she looked at me, then laughed and said to her friend "oh dear".... This was 8 years ago now, and I still remember. thanks

Inglori0us Sat 19-Oct-13 18:11:23

I understand how you feel. One only just finished losing the 3.5 stone I gained with my dd (pregnancy and then cake). I'm now 15 weeks and have been eating all the stuff I didn't eat while dieting on Slimming World. The day I did my pregnancy test we ordered a pizza!
I got weighed at 13 weeks and had gained 8lb. I thought it'd be more as I've been eating bread and some naughty food just because I fancy it, and I've had loads of nausea so I'm eating between meals too.
I think as long as you're eating fruit and veg and not much fried or processed crap you'll be fine. It's hard letting go of the control though. I can already see that my thighs are bigger. This hasn't stopped me eating chips though. You just need to eat what you need and not be too hard on yourself.

Inglori0us Sat 19-Oct-13 18:12:43

Oh, that should've said "I've" not "one" at the start. I'm not the queen.

Suzietwo Sat 19-Oct-13 18:55:17

I really wouldn't worry too much. I've had two children with a year between pregnancies and gone to 42 weeks both times. I put on 4-5 stone with each (10.5 - 14/15.5). And lost it twice relatively easily. And on both occasions getting to 11ish stone has been easy. Getting back to 10.5 harder. I can't help but think it'd have been tough if I'd only had that half stone to shift.

I'm pregnant with number 3 now and hopeful I won't balloon but know in all liklihood I will. But I also know ill sort it out within the year.

Thanks, its good to know its not just me that is feeling like this somewhat. I wont go on a mad free for all eating mission, but I'll try not to be so hard on myself. I'll work to get the weight off after. Went and bought a new pair of maternity jeans today, much more comfortable and not squeezing me around the hips so hopefully that'll make me feel less huge.

I really appreciate all of the replies, Id wanted to post about this for weeks now but was a bit nervous to blush You've all been lovely and really helped thanks

Inglori0us Sat 19-Oct-13 19:55:54

And, if you can't have the occasional guilt-free pig out when you're pregbant, when can you?? smile
Take it as it comes, listen to your body, just don't go mental. That's my philosophy.

Stevie77 Sat 19-Oct-13 20:02:42

I was (well, DH too so 'we') low carving before pg too, exactly the same as you - not overly strict but watchful. I'm a lot less strict now but have not put on any weight (same as with my first pg) but only 18 wks.

What I find helpful is planning meals, also helps controlling what we buy, but mostly we don't end up standing in front of the fridge every night, wondering what to have and resorting to the easy options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now