Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Start of maternity leave

(35 Posts)
Pinkbell123 Thu 17-Oct-13 15:38:04

Hi ladies

I need to hand in my notification to work really soon but I can't decide when to go on leave. Baby due mid feb was planning to go at 37 weeks but people keep suggesting I shouldn't go back after Xmas. Is 5 or 6 weeks too long to be off before the birth.

I'm worried il be bored but husband pointed out I'm already bored at work! Planning a career change after the baby so returning to work not a massive concern.

Will I have enough to fill my time if I leave at Xmas? I commute for 90mins each way and the idea of not having to do that in the freezing rain is appealing grin

Help!

SweetPea86 Sun 20-Oct-13 17:10:21

I'm not due till April but I'm think of starting my maternity 1st week of February. I want the last couple of months before I'm due to be totally relaxed. I don't plan on buying any thing apart from pram untill I leave and I have a nursery to decorate. All this can be done properly once I'm off work.

I don't want to be in work tired and miserable I want to be totally stress free,

My job is stressful and on my feet all day running around. I don't think this will do me or baby any good.

Use your early leave to enjoy before baby is born enjoy Xmas, catch up with friends go out for lunch cinema do things you won't get the chance to do once baba is here.

Like you I'm planning a career change after my baby. Your hubby is right if your bored at work mase well not be there

HopeS01 Sun 20-Oct-13 15:27:42

I'm due 5th Feb and won't be going back after Christmas. I have a very unpleasant commute on the horrifically busy Northern Line and can hardly cope now let alone when I'm very fat

I can't wait to leave !!!!!

Pinkbell123 Sun 20-Oct-13 15:12:30

I found out I do need to take me annual leave in the same calendar yr so il be taking it all before the baby arrives, and then having a nice 9-12 months (depending on finances) before going back. grin Only 9 weeks to go! So glad as my pelvic pain is awful even at this stage.

justamouse Sun 20-Oct-13 15:01:50

I'll be starting my maternity leave on the day that LO is due, but I have three weeks of leave before that, so technically I'll be off from 37 weeks. My work have been great, allowing me early finishes if I'm exhausted and late starts so I can do yoga classes. It helps that we are extremely quiet at the moment.

Naomilouise1992 Sun 20-Oct-13 13:50:10

Oh and getting up at 5 am to get trains to work for 8 is hard too so deffo gunna take it as soon as I can and enjoy having a relax and clean and get ready for this baby xxx

Naomilouise1992 Sun 20-Oct-13 13:48:31

I'm due at beginning of feb, was going to work till beginning of jan, I offered to work Xmas day and New Year's Day thinking I would get to see my partners family Xmas eve and mine Boxing Day. But I checked the rota and I was down to work all 3 and 12 hour shifts. I thought that was actually a bit of a piss take tbh... So gunnna go as soon as I can take it which is 10 weeks before ur DD I think. And especially because my job is so hard and manual. I have really been having a bad back struggling to get up off the toilet without it hurting so might have a few weeks off sick too... Xxxx

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Fri 18-Oct-13 10:41:27

I left at 37 weeks and then went two weeks overdue, so had 5 weeks off in total. Now I look back and wish I had enjoyed it more, and appreciated all the sleep I got, rather than thinking "I'm bored" all the time!

elcranko Fri 18-Oct-13 10:40:41

Forgot to say... I kept reminding myself that this was the only time I was ever going to have all to myself to just indulge. I plan to finish work at a similar point when I have DC2 but of course I have DC1 already now, so less time for those lazy days. Enjoy smile

elcranko Fri 18-Oct-13 10:38:17

I finished work at 34 weeks (on annual leave though, didn't start maternity leave until 40 weeks) and I went 2 weeks overdue, so had had 8 weeks off before the baby arrived! I wasn't bored though, I found plenty of things to do to fill my time. Cleaning and cooking, getting baby's things ready, meeting family and friends for lunch or coffee, and lots of lazy days to read or watch boxsets smile I loved it!

Romily Thu 17-Oct-13 23:02:01

I am due at the start of February and I am going to start my mat leave in January to tag on to the end of my Christmas holidays. I am 24 weeks now and tired already so I think it will be enough of a challenge to keep going to Christmas. Plus I really don't want to be out and about travelling if the weather is going to be grim.

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Thu 17-Oct-13 22:00:51

Yes, especially if you aren't allowed to carry the holiday forward to 2015. We were required to take holiday in its proper holiday year unless that wasn't possible for some reason (like the baby coming early). So if I hadn't taken 5 weeks before my due date, I'd have lost the holiday.

Best case you might get 5 weeks of holiday, then year of mat leave all after the birth (or a bit less if baby is late) and then go back to a new year with a full year of holiday to take over that year. .. if you go back.

Pinkbell123 Thu 17-Oct-13 21:55:36

Ok penguin will check leave tomorrow. I guess if I'm taking a year it makes sense to put it up front. If I ever go back there at all mwahaha

scissy Thu 17-Oct-13 21:48:41

What Penguins said - my employer has a "use it or lose it" policy on leave - so I'd either have had to take it at the end or the start. I was due with DD beginning of Feb, so I finished at Christmas, used my leave and started my mat. leave at the end of Jan. It was great, esp. as it was the year we had that awful snow - I was so glad I didn't have to commute in it! DD was born the end of Jan in the end, on day 2 of my official mat. leave.

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Thu 17-Oct-13 21:35:51

Do check the holiday rules. You may not even have to start leave, just a lovely long block of holiday.

Then promise me you'll spend lots of lovely time sitting on your bum, taking afternoon naps and reading (magazines, books, whatever). I am on no. 3 but I can live vicariously grin

Pinkbell123 Thu 17-Oct-13 21:30:29

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the replies. Think I'm going to bite the bullet and leave at Xmas and enjoy a few weeks of chilling out before the baby. smile

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Thu 17-Oct-13 21:27:10

When does your holiday year run?

If it runs from 1 January check your company policy as you may be required to use holiday in the same holiday year if at all possible. This was the case in my company.

So with a mid-Feb due date, it would make sense to take 5 weeks of holiday before your due date and then start maternity leave on the actual due date?

terilou87 Thu 17-Oct-13 21:20:29

Mine started on 28th Sept ( had holidays to use) not due till Jan 10th grin so far I havnt been bored iv had loads to do! Been catching up with friends, decorating shopping shopping and more shopping, plus my other dc keep me busy, infact I think I did far less when I was working smile

PastaBeeandCheese Thu 17-Oct-13 21:06:39

I worked to 38 weeks last time and DD born at 40+3. I would have been bored if I'd had any longer.

I'm going at 36 weeks this time as it's physically harder with a toddler to look after. I'll have the same number of 'rest' days overall as DD will be in nursery 3 days and with me 2 days.

PinkParsnips Thu 17-Oct-13 20:32:47

I finished at 35 weeks (but with 4 weeks leave to use up). I'm 2 weeks in now and some days I've felt a bit bored and missed the social side of work but this week has flown by so I think I'm getting in to it now!

I probably wouldn't have finished quite so early without the leave, but its nice to just sleep, chill and please yourself while you can!!

puddleduck16 Thu 17-Oct-13 20:31:40

I'm also due middle of feb. I plan to leave middle of jan. with 2 weeks hols first the mat leave officially starting in feb. I wanted as long as poss afterwards with baby. Plus I was also worried about being bored!

NewBlueShoesToo Thu 17-Oct-13 20:25:59

I stopped with DS1 at 35 weeks. I planned to do lots of nice things and sort the house out. He was born at 36 weeks!

Excited85 Thu 17-Oct-13 20:23:38

I finished at 37 weeks mainly because the long commute was getting too much. Am now just at 40 weeks and getting fixated on the baby arriving as feel like I'm wasting time off. The first week off was fab and the second helped me get everything sorted but now I just feel like I'm sitting around waiting for baby to turn up! Health wise though I've felt absolutely fine until this last week.
If your job is demanding or you think you might struggle with any complications etc then finish earlier but I'm definitely glad I held out until 37 weeks.

Excited2meetmyprincess Thu 17-Oct-13 17:26:06

I finished at 30 weeks because my contract ended and I didn't want to start looking for another job. Plus I had SPD and had been taking time off sick a lot because I was really struggling. I was quite bored at first but now that I have gotten used to being off I honestly wonder how I worked full time as my days always seem to be full. Lol.
I now have 3 weeks until my c section and I am just enjoying catching up with pals and getting some rest and me time before baby arrives. It does seem like a long time but honestly it goes so quickly and u will spend so much time getting stuff ready for the baby xx

upanddown83 Thu 17-Oct-13 17:13:59

I went on maternity leave at 33weeks ds born at 41weeks I had a lovely time off work.
I have friends who already have dc and were either off on maternity or worked part-time so I was able to meet up with them regularly.
But I never found I was bored I relaxed I read I watched tv sometimes I even made dinner for dp coming home! I felt I was better prepared for the birth as I was organised and had plenty of time to myself before ds came.

ch1134 Thu 17-Oct-13 17:02:49

It depends on your job and how long you intend to have off. I'm leaving 5 weeks before DD but have some holiday to take over those 5 weeks... will go back 6 months later, but have holiday the other side so works out as almost 9 months off... My job is demanding and I think it's for the best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now