Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Start of maternity leave

(35 Posts)
Pinkbell123 Thu 17-Oct-13 15:38:04

Hi ladies

I need to hand in my notification to work really soon but I can't decide when to go on leave. Baby due mid feb was planning to go at 37 weeks but people keep suggesting I shouldn't go back after Xmas. Is 5 or 6 weeks too long to be off before the birth.

I'm worried il be bored but husband pointed out I'm already bored at work! Planning a career change after the baby so returning to work not a massive concern.

Will I have enough to fill my time if I leave at Xmas? I commute for 90mins each way and the idea of not having to do that in the freezing rain is appealing grin

Help!

Romily Thu 17-Oct-13 23:02:01

I am due at the start of February and I am going to start my mat leave in January to tag on to the end of my Christmas holidays. I am 24 weeks now and tired already so I think it will be enough of a challenge to keep going to Christmas. Plus I really don't want to be out and about travelling if the weather is going to be grim.

elcranko Fri 18-Oct-13 10:38:17

I finished work at 34 weeks (on annual leave though, didn't start maternity leave until 40 weeks) and I went 2 weeks overdue, so had had 8 weeks off before the baby arrived! I wasn't bored though, I found plenty of things to do to fill my time. Cleaning and cooking, getting baby's things ready, meeting family and friends for lunch or coffee, and lots of lazy days to read or watch boxsets smile I loved it!

elcranko Fri 18-Oct-13 10:40:41

Forgot to say... I kept reminding myself that this was the only time I was ever going to have all to myself to just indulge. I plan to finish work at a similar point when I have DC2 but of course I have DC1 already now, so less time for those lazy days. Enjoy smile

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Fri 18-Oct-13 10:41:27

I left at 37 weeks and then went two weeks overdue, so had 5 weeks off in total. Now I look back and wish I had enjoyed it more, and appreciated all the sleep I got, rather than thinking "I'm bored" all the time!

Naomilouise1992 Sun 20-Oct-13 13:48:31

I'm due at beginning of feb, was going to work till beginning of jan, I offered to work Xmas day and New Year's Day thinking I would get to see my partners family Xmas eve and mine Boxing Day. But I checked the rota and I was down to work all 3 and 12 hour shifts. I thought that was actually a bit of a piss take tbh... So gunnna go as soon as I can take it which is 10 weeks before ur DD I think. And especially because my job is so hard and manual. I have really been having a bad back struggling to get up off the toilet without it hurting so might have a few weeks off sick too... Xxxx

Naomilouise1992 Sun 20-Oct-13 13:50:10

Oh and getting up at 5 am to get trains to work for 8 is hard too so deffo gunna take it as soon as I can and enjoy having a relax and clean and get ready for this baby xxx

justamouse Sun 20-Oct-13 15:01:50

I'll be starting my maternity leave on the day that LO is due, but I have three weeks of leave before that, so technically I'll be off from 37 weeks. My work have been great, allowing me early finishes if I'm exhausted and late starts so I can do yoga classes. It helps that we are extremely quiet at the moment.

Pinkbell123 Sun 20-Oct-13 15:12:30

I found out I do need to take me annual leave in the same calendar yr so il be taking it all before the baby arrives, and then having a nice 9-12 months (depending on finances) before going back. grin Only 9 weeks to go! So glad as my pelvic pain is awful even at this stage.

HopeS01 Sun 20-Oct-13 15:27:42

I'm due 5th Feb and won't be going back after Christmas. I have a very unpleasant commute on the horrifically busy Northern Line and can hardly cope now let alone when I'm very fat

I can't wait to leave !!!!!

SweetPea86 Sun 20-Oct-13 17:10:21

I'm not due till April but I'm think of starting my maternity 1st week of February. I want the last couple of months before I'm due to be totally relaxed. I don't plan on buying any thing apart from pram untill I leave and I have a nursery to decorate. All this can be done properly once I'm off work.

I don't want to be in work tired and miserable I want to be totally stress free,

My job is stressful and on my feet all day running around. I don't think this will do me or baby any good.

Use your early leave to enjoy before baby is born enjoy Xmas, catch up with friends go out for lunch cinema do things you won't get the chance to do once baba is here.

Like you I'm planning a career change after my baby. Your hubby is right if your bored at work mase well not be there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now