Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(994 Posts)
LucindaE Tue 15-Oct-13 19:53:28

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable for sufferers, with information about medications, coping strategies, hospital admissions, useful links, advice for family members, and much more.

I would like to thank MOH and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on this and on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

Meerka Sun 10-Nov-13 18:50:08

CVS is a known higher-risk procedure, much higher than amnio. We just considered the odds of downs (1 in 20 or 25) v the odds of something going wrong with the CVS (1 in 50 or so). CVS can be done so much sooner than the amnio, and well - we know that very sadly, we would be physically unable to cope with a severely disabled child. If we had had to take the saddest option, better sooner than later. It was the shock of discovering that all was well with Lucky Willem, -then- it going wrong.

The CVS was done by an experienced and clearly skilful doctor at Maastrict University Hospital, who laid out the risks beforehand and was meticulous with hygience. Do think it was simply that we got unlucky - but not as unlucky as we could have. Thank God.

Meerka Sun 10-Nov-13 18:59:39

hrm. we were told it was 2 % miscarriage rate but wiki and other places are saying it should be around 1% ... plus apparently the obs should follow the patient carefully after the procedure to monitor for infection, which certainly wasn't done.

Sigh. Maybe they weren't that good.

My opinion of the dutch obs system, given this and the point blank refusal to treat most HG patients with any sort of meds, is going down and down.

ChaffinchOfDoom Sun 10-Nov-13 19:18:13

Hey Lucinda - no Im not a nurse, am in retail. bucket behind the window display grin not terribly easy as only 1 little loo up steep flight stairs...

LucindaE Sun 10-Nov-13 19:41:23

Meerka It is so unfair. Hugs.
Chafifnch Now, why did I think you were a nurse? Someone is on here, I'm sure. That sounds most innovative about puke bucket behind display,and it's sweet your colleagues are so nice. I wish everyone's were, some of the headteacher's have been awful to teachers on here, one women who'd been forced into work (her Hyperemesis started in the third tri, very unusual) went into labour at school, I hope they felt guilty.
It was OK as it was after thirty six weeks.
xx

Angelina77 Sun 10-Nov-13 19:43:48

Hi there, I'm 7+3 and have been suffering terrible all day nausea for just over a week. I've been sick twice but managed to suppress it most of the time. How do I know if it's 'normal' MS or more serious? I'm worried about how I'll cope with work.

ChaffinchOfDoom Sun 10-Nov-13 20:21:42

Lucinda weirdly my neighbours thought I was a nurse too! I must have a nursey face grin

Angelina welcome & congratulations...and sorry to see you on here IYSWIM.. morning sickness will stay pretty steady, and you will be sort of OK eating & drinking. If it is HG you won't be able to eat/drink and you probably will need medication to help you live any kind of normal life!! In many cases HG loses its power about week 18. Next time you go to a chemist buy some ketostix to wee on, these can be an aid to see if you're dehydrated. If you feel awful though don't hesitate to see GP and try some of the various anti-emetics...all safe for 1st trimester. See Lucinda's links at the start of the thread, and come vent on here for all you're worth!!!

jenpatnim Sun 10-Nov-13 20:46:53

Hey all ... nothing to report here. Still feeling sick and tired, did manage to eat dinner though. Just taking it easy before work tomorrow. Feeling a bit tired and down. At least I have Downton Abbey to look forward to...

Sally8655 Sun 10-Nov-13 21:00:06

Jen I'm waiting on downton too, hoping it'll take my mind off feeling dreadful.

Hospital in the morning to see the consultant then physio Tuesday. Busy week when I feel yuk.

Xxx

Tallyra Sun 10-Nov-13 22:29:18

hi angel, welcome xxx
I'm sorry to see you here. Just keep an eye on your drinking. as soon as it becomes difficult to get liquids down or you are vomiting enough to affect the way you live or work, you want to be talking to a doctor and not taking any excuses about not wanting to prescribe anything. some of them try to fob you off without giving anything, which is shameful. take a look at www.pregnancysicknesssupport.com for some more information. We are here for any questions, don't worry about tmi.

Angelina77 Sun 10-Nov-13 22:45:41

Thanks, I'm probably somewhere in between. The nausea is quite debilitating but I suppose not life threatening because I'm still eating (albeit utter crap) and drinking so guess I'll have to suck it up. Sorry if this is the wrong thread for me, I checked out the Pregnancy Sickness SOS site but it wasn't that clear.

I will start carrying around a jiffy bag though, just in case.

Tallyra Sun 10-Nov-13 23:48:13

you are welcome here if we can at all help you, don't worry! the nausea is almost worse than the vomiting, we know how you must be feeling. xxxxx

eggybrokenoff Mon 11-Nov-13 07:10:41

im amazed at you all staying up and watching downton - i am ready to drop by 8 and def asleep by 9!

the state of my house is getting me fown today. going to have to try and do some housework it is mounting up really badly!

Totesamazeballs Mon 11-Nov-13 13:36:00

Hi eggy - I can't make downton either. Too late for me now! Gotta go, can hear DS waking from his nap. God Bless those 2 hours!

Totesamazeballs Mon 11-Nov-13 13:36:41

Hoh and I know how you feel about. House work.

LucindaE Mon 11-Nov-13 14:19:59

Just dashing on to wish everyone well and to welcome Angelica77.
Angelica there is a sort of grey area between severe MS and outright Hyperemesis, it seems. I can't really improve on others comments, as they say, do watch out for dehydration as unfortunately, often Hyperemesis seems to start out feeling like nasty but controllable MS but then spirals out of control quite quickly, particularly during times of hormonal surges.
Congratulations, everyone, on actually staying up determindly to watch a favourite programme.
Jen Sorry still feeling bad. You've been so brave working throughout! I hope the family problems aren't getting to you too much, and Murder of Goths thinking of you about your Grandfather.
Totes Interesting, they thought that - do you have to be on your feet a lot? That would be exhausting.
Hope EVeryone is coping today.
xx

Just got back from the 20 week scan, everything is looking good thankfully, baby is average size and they think it's a girl.

News not great on my grandad though, so off to see him later.

Meerka Mon 11-Nov-13 15:36:44

I'm very glad to hear the baby is looking good - a little sister for your son! - and thinking of you with your grandfather.

eggybrokenoff Mon 11-Nov-13 16:59:20

mog great news congratulations. sorry to hear your other sad news though

LucindaE Mon 11-Nov-13 17:47:35

Murder of Goths Perfect, one of each! Sorry about your Grandad, hugs.
xx

jenpatnim Mon 11-Nov-13 19:41:29

MOG a girl! How lovely! I hope everyone is surviving ok? I had another busy old day and came home to find OH has made progress on decorating the nursery! He has started to paint and we have cleared out a LOT of stuff, so we are really making steps. smile

Sally8655 Mon 11-Nov-13 19:46:28

MOG- pleased scan was ok, thoughts are with you xx

I've had yet another awful trip to the hospital. Had an appointment at 10:15 this morning. Waited until 12 to be seen and didnt get out till 3.
Blood pressure was a bit better and urine etc was ok. They made me have an internal :-( but thankfully all was ok there too.
Not allowed to take anymore sickness pills :-( and have to have blood thinning injections.
Lots of talk re c section or pushing and it's all becoming quite scary now. Would like to do things the safest way possible for me but not getting much advice from the hospital or midwife.

Meerka Mon 11-Nov-13 20:01:42

oh heck, not allowed to take any more sickness pills? you mean you have to stop taking them, or you simply arent allowed any more? I really hope you don't have to stop taking the meds you're on right now, that would be awful

So sorry about the long wait, its murder when you are so ill. And the lack of clarity and clear guideance. Iirc you will be having the baby a bit early? how long to go now?

Handbagsonnhold Mon 11-Nov-13 20:12:31

Hello everyone

Mog great news re your scan am thinking of you
Sally sorry to hear you ended up at hospital all day ....and an internal not nice confused

Not great last few days sickness has come back full force and the nausea floors me. Positive note Dp (have upgraded his title from Oh....for now) returned home from work trip and has ploughed through 4 loads of washing....and all housework and after doing bath n bedtime is now ironing....grin

Got to get dressed tmrw as its nuchal scan...

Sending vomitless vibes to you all x

Meerka Mon 11-Nov-13 20:18:16

oh best of luck tomorrow handbags with the scan.

kalidasa Mon 11-Nov-13 20:20:52

Thanks for tips everyone on how to prepare for likely severe HG a second time. I think we are definitely going to give some serious thought to extra housekeeping help (laundry, changing sheets, meal planning, grocery shopping etc), so that I don't have to worry about all the practical stuff being neglected, and so that DH can focus his energy on supporting DS and I emotionally.

The main thing I worry about is feeling very lonely and isolated again, and I'm not really sure what we can do about that. Especially as the one friend who was really fantastic right the way through is quite likely to be heavily pregnant or to have a tiny baby of her own by then (she is ttc now).

Hope everyone is managing today and no-one is feeling too terrible or stuck in hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now