Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(994 Posts)
LucindaE Tue 15-Oct-13 19:53:28

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable for sufferers, with information about medications, coping strategies, hospital admissions, useful links, advice for family members, and much more.

I would like to thank MOH and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on this and on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

eggybrokenoff Thu 17-Oct-13 10:36:21

thanks trying. i think in some ways although it was by far the worst pg, it was easier with ds1 cos i kept thinking it woukd stop. kept saying 'just got to get to 12 weeks then it is easier' then 16, then 20, then i was halfway etc. now i know it wont stop! but i have meds. i can do this.

Tallyra Thu 17-Oct-13 13:31:47

eggy I don't know how you are coping without mum - I couldn't! you are amazing!

I am still having good days, and trying not to jinx things. I had 3 meals yesterday and the day before. 14w today - maybe that means something, maybe not. I've not been allowing myself to believe it'll stop so if it does that'll be a bonus. I'm still taking the steroids and antiemetics and not planning on stopping just yet.

LucindaE Thu 17-Oct-13 13:58:08

Choc Sorry to hear about that on the April thread - are many suffering badly?
Meerka and Totes and Trying I* so agree about those good and bad days. Everyone gets anxious about them, which is a shame as they can't enjoy the respite. sad
Jen That does sound sweet. When is the wedding?
Eggy Poor you, hugs, sorry about bad day, it will be so nice to confide in your mother.
Tallyra I am glad your mother is looking after you. Three meals sounds hopeful that things are looking up a bit.
Apologies to anyone overlooked.
Lucinda
xx

tryingtokeeppositive Thu 17-Oct-13 13:58:47

You can do it eggy.

I need some hand-holding. I've been sick 3 times today, but I feel completely fine. A little tired, but completely fine. I'm worried about mmc. Got a scan tomorrow am. Just feel deflated.

MurderOfBanshees Thu 17-Oct-13 13:59:28

eggy I know what you mean, there was hope it would end with the first pregnancy, that hope doesn't exist in pregnancy number two. Plus you then have to listen to well meaning fools telling you it might stop. hmm

tryingtokeeppositive Thu 17-Oct-13 13:59:47

How good were everyone's good days? Just as a kind of reference point?

eggybrokenoff Thu 17-Oct-13 14:03:52

trying - i think everyone with hg worries if symptoms ease up for a while but they are meant to at this stage - and if youve vommed 3 times its not like all symptoms have suddenly left - v unlikely to be a mmc at this stage and still being sick. fwiw i had a blighted ovum mmc between ds1 and 2 and i just knew thibgs werent right. i had no symptoms whatsoever at all the whole time. thinking of you x

tryingtokeeppositive Thu 17-Oct-13 14:07:00

Thanks eggy. I have just felt from the start of this pregnancy that this was not going to work out, which is so terrible and I hate that I feel this way but it's just constantly there. I wanted this so badly but from the start it's just felt impossible.

eggybrokenoff Thu 17-Oct-13 16:00:18

i felt like that with last pg coming so close after mc. it worked out beautifully - sometimes intuition is crap i promise x

eggybrokenoff Thu 17-Oct-13 16:08:38

i have a new snacking choice - little cheeses. i dont mean sml pieces of cheese but the kids lunchbox stuff - babybel, dairyleas, sticks of v mild crap cheddar. why would that be? anyway doesnt look like ds is gping to get a babybel tomorrow.....

tryingtokeeppositive Thu 17-Oct-13 18:32:22

Thanks eggy. Just got back from a scan, all is well. Got to get better at dealing with the anxiety now, it's ridiculous!

I have a big thing for cheese at the moment - my mouth is watering writing this. Enjoy!!

Totesamazeballs Thu 17-Oct-13 19:33:54

Hi all! Great news on the scan! I tend to be sceptical that I will get a healthy baby at the end I this too. And the up and down thing is normal for me. Having very bad mouth taste day today...just cannot find anything to relieve it. And I am with you on the cheeses. Dairy lea and baby bel.

SicknSpan Thu 17-Oct-13 19:51:03

Hello all. I'm feeling so rotten, the ondansetron is slowing down the sickness but has not stopped it, i have been sick about 15 times today. No significant ketones (managing to keep the odd haribo down for long enough) but I am so so thirsty - only iced water will will do and now we've bloody well run out of ice. I would cry but there aren't any tears in me. What can I do now that the ondansetron isn't working? I can't think properly. sad

MurderOfBanshees Thu 17-Oct-13 20:03:51

Sick Steroids seems to be the next step after Ondansetron. Might be worth asking your gp?

The nausea is now at a bearable level for me, so managing food and drink. Getting the typical SPD pain though, so no real break.

jenpatnim Thu 17-Oct-13 20:33:02

God, everyone is feeling so rotten! I am so sorry! I have nausea going on but no vomiting, so I should count myself extremely lucky. I am totally knackered, though.

Lucinda, the wedding is on 4th July, and so baby will be there! I can't wait, I would marry OH tomorrow.

Champagnebubble Thu 17-Oct-13 20:52:49

Hello, just marking my place on this brand new shiny thread, so much talk already.

Sorry to hear people feeling rotten. thanks

ChocChaffinch Thu 17-Oct-13 21:49:50

I have a thing for cheese too - think It's because yogurt and milk are uneatable and body knows it needs the calcium from somewhere smile

sorry so much sicknesss

hold on, sick n span - how much doseage of ondansatron are you on? sorry it's not working so far, I occasionally throw up if I let my tummy empty whilst taking it
lactulose easier for me to take via a bottle slurp rather than the cup thingy - bit of a rough measure but far less heaving..

ChocChaffinch Thu 17-Oct-13 21:52:14

aaaahhhh Jen 4th July lovely summery date

and a cute little baby! such beautiful wedding outfits available for LO's the clothes in asda and mothercare and tkmaxx at the min are gorgeous. asda has some girl's leggings with bunny faces on the knees..too cute! tkMaxx has little Christmassy party dresses in red with ruffles and sequins...

<reminds self may be a boy>

SicknSpan Thu 17-Oct-13 22:10:02

Been on 4mg 3 X a day, meltlets. now been given 1 x 16mg suppository a day. Can't remember what dose i had with ds1 or ds2. My stomach hurts so much from retching sad

jenpatnim Thu 17-Oct-13 22:53:05

Mine is a boy, Choc.

Ugh I feel so sick tonight...... save me..... am afraid to go upstairs in case I barf.

Sally8655 Thu 17-Oct-13 23:16:34

Sorry your all so poorly. Not alot of relief for anybody right now it seems.
Eggy- babybel was a thing for me early on, would eat about 5 a day. As it was the only thing I ate, i was pleased to be able to manage something. Can't stand the sight of them now.

Jen- July wedding sounds lovely! Very excited for you xx

I'm still suffering :-(
Had appointment with midwife this morning, was not impressed at all with her. Waited 30 min past my appointment slot, when I did get to see her she didn't have time to do anything but measure my belly. No urine check or anything. She wasn't even going to give my my mat b1 form until I pushed for it. She didn't have time to give me my diabetes results and asked me to make my next consultant appointment as she was running late! Fuming!

Baby is measuring large so scan in 3 weeks time. Physio for SPD and PGP arranged as I'm in agony. Finally managed to go to the loo though!
Really suffering with nausea and sickness. And my mouth tastes like I've been sucking coins.

So totally fed up really :-(

eggybrokenoff Fri 18-Oct-13 07:51:17

oh god everyone is having such a rough time.
sick n if it carries on that bad maybe they should admit you to rehydrate you and try some
other treatments?
hope today is better for everyone

jenpatnim Fri 18-Oct-13 07:56:52

Ugh Sally you are not having an easy time.

I did vomit last night, and still feel nauseated today. We'll see how work goes, yay. At least it is Friday.

Sally8655 Fri 18-Oct-13 09:40:07

Jen hope work passes quickly, still don't know how you do it xx

tryingtokeeppositive Fri 18-Oct-13 10:12:37

Agree with Sally, don't know how you're working Jen. Hope it goes quickly x

Sickness is back today with a vengeance. The dr gave me buccal tablets which I swear are making me so much worse. Getting migraines now too.

Here's to a better day for everyone x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now