Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Skincare and cosmetics advice throughout pregnancy - should I change everything?

(19 Posts)
Earhat Mon 07-Oct-13 12:36:02

Thanks all,

Lovely safety list from katebakes will use the henna tip. I think you must be right Bodicea, surely there should be a warning if really dangerous in pregnancy.

Norfolknway and Excited will rest easy knowing that unless I drink hair removal cream and vitamin A whilst cleaning out the litter tray I will probably be ok : ) x

katebakes Sun 06-Oct-13 16:46:23

I mix my own aromatherapy oils and actually used certain blends to aid conception - for this reason I know how strong and powerful they can be. (I sound like a tree hugged but I'm really not...)

I will say that whilst essential oils are extremely powerful, the high street - even lush and Neal's Yard , sell extremely diluted products that are unlikely to cause any problems or hormonal changes. In fact lush 's concentration is 1% which can't do anything. Having said that I avoided their products till third trimester. I also avoided retin A. I freaked out majorly whilst in second trimester and avoided anything containing aloe but then came to my own conclusion. whilst it is unsafe for consumption, topical use is not a problem especially if found in high street products.

I now use:
Mama mio - nearly all the range
Palmers
Blistex
I mix my own oils but I'm careful with their concentrations
Badger sun cream
Belli face tint
Dr organic from holland and Barrett
Lush - fair trade honey shampoo and bath bombs
Kerastase hair mask
Vicks - I literally use it for feeling sick to neck ache!
Sudocream

I have avoided colouring my hair with bleach and dyes but have used lush henna twice and it's absolutely safe and makes my hair super duper shiny and lovely.

Bodicea Sun 06-Oct-13 15:33:03

Been using some spot treatment on hormonal chin for last couple of days and realised when looked at ingredients, first on list is salycic acid! Doh. Ignoring own advice! Oh well if stuff was really that bad surely they would have to put pregnancy warning label on of something.

Excited85 Sat 05-Oct-13 09:29:38

Me neither Norfolk. Didn't realise that there were things other than food you were 'meant' to avoid! Am 38 weeks so a bit late to start now. OP I wouldn't worry too much, I've just carried on as normal with the exception of soft cheese, alcohol and rare meat and I get the impression on these boards that many women are the same.

Norfolknway Sat 05-Oct-13 07:27:54

Wow!
I haven't changed anything...and I'm 36 weeks with DC2 shock

I didn't even think of make up or skin care products...confused

Bodicea Sat 05-Oct-13 06:39:55

Earhat - sorry it is mamamio not mamamip - bloody predictive text !

Lostinspace1 Sat 05-Oct-13 03:22:57

I've been using the 'Naked' range of shampoos and shower gel from Boots which are parabens, SLS free etc. Supposed to be 97% 'natural'.

I got my face cream (Vitamin Fix) from 'Green People' and emailed them asking if the Vit A was the correct one (not retinoid) and they said yes and that the levels of essential oils was very minimal and suitable for pregnant women. I also got my deoderant from them but it's not great so have been reverting on busy days back to the usual nasty stuff.

I've also been cleaning the house less...;P

Phew....I think this is about as anal/careful as I can get without going crazy!

EmB1715 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:28:07

Off the top of my head, Tresemme Naturals. Honestly, don't worry too much though, just get a sense of which chemicals and essential oils are a definite no-go!

Earhat Fri 04-Oct-13 21:16:23

Thanks EmB1715 and MrsVDB, which shampoos are paraben free?

Julietee you really made me laugh with your - 'Argh! Avoid at all costs!' I will invest in some Dr Hauschka to at least use something safe.

littleomar - going to check out Neal's Yard. This has been really reassuring thanks all x

littleomar Fri 04-Oct-13 20:23:33

Julietee I had a pretty comprehensive handout from Neal's Yard that said which oils were safe and which weren't - try their website?

Julietee Fri 04-Oct-13 20:10:54

I should mention the concrete steps I took:
Switched to aluminium free deodorant (use regular sometimes though)
Switched to ecover cleaning stuff
Natural Shampoo/ conditioner without parabens (but I don't freak out if I use regular)
Dr Hauschka moisturiser (I emailed them and they confirmed it was ok for use during preg.)

I've heard we should avoid triclosan, which is an antibacterial agent commonly used in all sorts of things, but I don't know that I want to worry myself unduly by looking it up confused

I also had an internet induced freakout about essential oils and herbs/spices. I now avoid parsley, sage and basil. You can't seem to avoid essential oils in stuff, so I try not to worry too much about using them very diluted and topically in products. Wish there was some concrete guidance on those that wasn't just 'Argh! Avoid at all costs!' from hysterical sources.

Julietee Fri 04-Oct-13 19:54:39

I had a serious panic about chemicals and essential oils in stuff a few weeks ago and it was exhausting! I also found out that even in health shops and Lush they have no idea of what's safe or not in pregnancy.

MrsVDB Fri 04-Oct-13 19:38:14

I second following nhs guidelines. I havent changed anything although did double check on insect repellent when we went on holiday

EmB1715 Fri 04-Oct-13 17:21:35

In my first trimester I switched to natural shampoos with no parabens and used baby wash etc. However this got rather tiresome and I gradually gave up! I personally wouldn't use bleaches (hair, moustache wink , tooth whitening) tanning lotion and have stopped using eye cream. Everyone has different views on it though so do your research and see how you feel smile

Earhat Fri 04-Oct-13 14:49:36

Thanks for the advice -AnythingNotEverything & Bodicea. I am not particularly concerned, just wanted to know if there was anything that was definitely off the cards. There seems to be so much conflicting advice on everything it is a wonder there is still a human race! Will look out for the vit A and salic acid now. Thanks for the Mamamip range tip too.

Bodicea Thu 03-Oct-13 18:04:11

Not soapy - so many

Bodicea Thu 03-Oct-13 18:03:41

Avoid the more high tech anti aging creams that contain salycic acid and derivatives of vitamin a.
I haven't altered much else - you can go to far with it all.
I love the mamamip range - started using there tummy rub oil and ended up buying there face cream too as it is really nice and have peace of mind it doesn't have he bad ingredients in it - they come under soapy names it is hard to be sure - bit if ou use a relatively simple cream you should be ok.
Also some essential oils can be bad too so the organic/natural route is not necessarily a safe option either x

AnythingNotEverything Thu 03-Oct-13 17:58:06

I think this depends entirely on your personal outlook.

I haven't changed any cosmetics or toiletries, but I'm not overly concerned about the risk for chemicals, or rather unsure of the difference I can make in a society reliant on chemicals. I have avoided cleaning the bathroom as often as possible, but that's because I'm lazy too.

I think the majority of people don't think twice about things like make up.

I've stuck to the NHS guidelines, which I feel are clear and reasonable. Maybe you should start there and see if you're comfortable with them?

Earhat Thu 03-Oct-13 16:55:38

Hi

I have just found out I am pregnant and would like to know how seriously to take all the advice on skincare, shampoos and the like.

Are normal moisturisers dangerous and if so can anyone advise what to use during the next nine months.

Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now