Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help ! how can I help my pregnant friend ?

(16 Posts)
PinkWitch803 Mon 30-Sep-13 23:57:18

Maybe take her kids off her hands for a few hours on the weekend so she can crash. But make sure she isn't using that time to do the housework!

GreenGiant3 Mon 30-Sep-13 23:57:14

You sound lovely OP! Wish I had had a friend like you round at the start!!

Some very good tips above, what a lucky friend to have, good luck thankssmile

sittinginthesun Mon 30-Sep-13 21:58:07

Cooking! I couldn't stand the smell of raw meat, oil, butter etc for weeks.

RufflingFeathers Mon 30-Sep-13 21:55:51

It's partly to help hubbie out as well - he's a really nice guy but works long hours and is prepared to carry the lion share of stuff when he's around - her other pregnancies have been equally as hard and they seriously considered not having any more kids - it's such a massive deal isn't it !!

cravingcake Mon 30-Sep-13 21:47:13

Yes to cooking meals but if she is feeling really sick she may not be able to eat what you make so would suggest something that could be easily frozen (shepherds pie, lasagne etc) so she could just defrost & heat on a day when she's not feeling too sick.

And yep, any housework would be appreciated. I hated loading the dishwasher as the smell from the dishes already in there (even if rinsed & only just put in) was enough to make me run for the bathroom.

Maybe a big grocery shop or if you are passing her way just see if theres anything she needs and you can drop it in.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 30-Sep-13 21:15:12

And I would have loved someone to have done a mini shop for me. I was so desperate for bland foods, biscuits, crackers etc - just anything that I could possibly keep down - but I couldn't get out of bed, let alone go to the corner shop sad

Writerwannabe83 Mon 30-Sep-13 21:13:37

I would have given ANYTHING for someone to do some of my housework whilst I was suffering with sickness!!!!

Also - I used to be so, so desperate for showers but never felt like I could take one unless someone else was in the house because I always felt so faint when I stood up sad I was scared that I'd pass out and nobody would be there to help. On one occasion my friend did come round purely for this reason and she sat outside the bathroom door for me and talked to me to make sure I was ok smile I always felt so much better for a shower!!

bundaberg Mon 30-Sep-13 20:52:13

for me it would be cooking my kids evening meal. the smell of the oven just makes me want to puke. i'm not so bad once it's cooked and on the table mind you.
but yes... food for sure.

cleaning if you're up to that too!

RufflingFeathers Mon 30-Sep-13 20:48:52

I think I'm just secretly relieved to be past all that - of course, it's totally wonderful to be pregnant but I'll never forget the tiredness, and the discomfort and the savage hormones !! urggghh.

Okay, so seabands, bin emptying, distracting her other DC - what about making evening meals - I obviously don't mean all the time, but just here and there. (I think I'd quite like that myself, and I'm not even preggers!!)

Stom91 Mon 30-Sep-13 20:41:10

I wish I had a friend like you op.
Hope your friend feels better soon x

SaucyJack Mon 30-Sep-13 20:40:13

Empty the bin bag for her. Bad times.....

DIYandEatCake Mon 30-Sep-13 20:28:20

Distraction is good if it's not too serious - just seeing friends and chatting cheered me up loads when I was feeling rough, and made the time go faster. And I loved the friends who brought their dcs round to play with dd so I could sit down and have a bit of rest. You sound like a lovely friend!

RufflingFeathers Mon 30-Sep-13 20:26:28

It just seems to miserable ! I honestly don't know how you ladies do it -
Keep the ideas coming - I wonder if she's tried the sea bands things, Sarahmains40 - it's worth a shot isn't it....

Sarahmains40 Mon 30-Sep-13 20:21:51

Buy her some sea bands for wrists they don't cure sickness but I noticed days I forgot to put them on I've felt much worse. I literally take them off for a bath and they stay on lol ,

Sarahmains40 Mon 30-Sep-13 20:20:15

Aww you sound like such a fab friend helping her out with cleaning sounds like a fab idea, I've suffered really bad with sickness and washing the pots and putting the Hoover on have sent me running to to loo, (smells of dust and dirty dishwater)

Just help any way you can. Buy her a big bag of boiled sweets as there the only thing that's seemed to take the edge of sickness.

It's friends like you that make every thing seem better. smile

RufflingFeathers Mon 30-Sep-13 20:14:39

I've had plenty of DCs but never suffered from morning sickness (phew). My BFF is now pregnant with her 3rd, v.early days and suffering badly (not anything serious, just run of the mill horrible sickness !!). I can't help with the school/nursery run for her older two girls as they live a little way away, but ladies who have suffered, how best can I help her out for these first few months ? cook meals? clean her house ?!!! any ideas welcome !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now