Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you get a bump?

(38 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Mon 30-Sep-13 08:21:19

Morning all,

I'm currently 14+3 and desperate for a bump to appear!

My husband thinks I look a little bigger, but I don't want to look 'bigger', I want to look pregnant.

I'm off a slim build (5ft 6, 57kg, BMI 20.7) and it is my first baby. Don't know if any of that makes a difference??

I'm trying not to worry about it but I really thought that by now I'd be showing??

ChairOfTheBored Thu 03-Oct-13 10:37:45

22 weeks - and then it appeared almost overnight.

Prior to that I was bloated (so felt bigger) but was still able to wear my old clothes/skinny jeans etc.

I now only have 2-3 things to wear for work which still fit, so shopping calls...

Writerwannabe83 Wed 02-Oct-13 21:40:51

Hi stroke - yes I do remember you from previous threads. I hope you are having a happy and blossoming pregnancy smile

OMG - 2 days after I post and I have woken up with a bump!!!

I can't see my feet when I look down - how has this happened? grin

I went to visit my grandparents today and the first thing my nan said to me was, "wow, look at you with your bump!"

It felt wonderful to hear smile

Quodlibet Wed 02-Oct-13 21:25:41

OP I am pretty much the same build as you (an inch or so taller) and I was still not 'obviously' pregnant to some people even in a bikini on holiday at 26 weeks! It was obvious to me of course. But then bump suddenly appeared in a very short time. Like you I was impatient in the 'tubby or pg' stage, and it lasted waaaay longer than I thought it would!

Strokethefurrywall Wed 02-Oct-13 21:11:59

Hey writer, I think we were on the JS thread together a while back and on a few of the antenatal threads together. I'm 14+4 so just a day ahead of you!

With DC1 I didn't start to "show" until about 21 weeks but didn't get an actual bump until 28 weeks which is when I went into maternity clothes.

Thought I was showing far earlier with this one but it turns out it was just bloat. Since losing the nausea and aversions I'm back to pretty strict paleo so funnily enough have started to lose the weight I put on in the 1st trimester and still in my normal clothes.I'm 5ft 8" though so I think my height helps hide it a little more!

I didn't have a big bump with DS, don't anticipate having a large bump with this one either, we don't tend to have large babies in my family despite being tall.
I'm looking forward to the bump because I know once the bump is here, so will the kicks - truly the best part! grin

roweeena Wed 02-Oct-13 17:58:18

20 weeks ish

oscarwilde Wed 02-Oct-13 17:22:53

20 weeks with my first for a bump to appear, but normal trousers wouldn't do up properly after about 12 weeks. Just waist "thickening" - lovely term isn't it. I am 5.6 too

Cupcake11 Wed 02-Oct-13 17:00:03

Haha - my brother guessed I was pregnant because in his words 'I looked like shit'. Roll on the glow!

Brodicea Wed 02-Oct-13 16:30:45

That's me cupcake - I'm only 9+5 and someone in my office guessed last week because of my tum! I'm 5.5 and (was) as size 6-8. I feel like everyone must think I've let myself slide too blush So embarrassing - can't wait for 12 weeks!

Cupcake11 Wed 02-Oct-13 12:51:31

Thanks LittlePea - it's become a bit of a joke with me and DH as no one (of the people we've told) can believe how big I am.

But it's true, everyone is different! smile

Can't wait to get to 12 weeks to be able to tell people - at the moment they must just think I've really let myself go with my dark roots and my pot belly grin

LittlePeaPod Wed 02-Oct-13 12:38:22

Sorry hat shoud b 5"2 nt 5"4. Lol

LittlePeaPod Wed 02-Oct-13 12:38:01

Cupcake I wouldn't worry. Everyone is different. I am 5"4 and a size 8 but didn't show till 20 weeks but I did have a bigger tummy than normal in the first trimester. But it was actually bloating whic I got quite bad. And lots of other ladies hav said they showed early so I wouldn't worry.

Congratulations by the way flowers

Cupcake11 Wed 02-Oct-13 12:03:29

Blimey - I'm only 10+2 and I have a bump!

I'm 5.4 and size 6 (not skinny, just petite) and I have had a noticeable bump since 8 weeks. I know it can't be baby but it doesn't go down!

Feeling really weird now...

Writerwannabe83 Mon 30-Sep-13 21:31:18

Hearing everyone's story has got me all excited about my bump-to-be grin

Misty9 Mon 30-Sep-13 20:00:30

With first baby it was around 16 weeks I think - though people were uncertain whether I was fat or pregnant from 12!
This time, I've had a noticeable bump from about 10-11wks - as in people have been asking how long I've got left! I think my stomach just remembers what to do and figures there's no point in waiting grin I also had diastasis recti last time, so my tummy muscles are still shot to pieces really.

jellyandcake Mon 30-Sep-13 19:13:47

20 weeks and overnight with my first baby. I was keeping it quiet from the kids at work (teacher) and didn't have a bump - woke up on the first day of the summer holidays and it had suddenly appeared! People did say I had a small bump until the end though and I felt like they were saying I just looked fat rather than pregnant, which was depressing! Hoping to show earlier this time around but at nearly ten weeks now I am bloated and none of my clothes fit and I definitely just look like I've piled on weight!

About 20 weeks with DD, she was my first & the bump appeared almost overnight while we were on holiday.

Earlier than that with DS, maybe about 17/18 weeks.

Congratulations smile

amandine07 Mon 30-Sep-13 19:02:24

I got a bump at 21 weeks which coincided with when I discovered that I was pregnant!

Prior to that I had some bloating in my abdomen but no specific bump- mine literally appeared overnight too!

Chatting with friends who have had babies I realised that this wasn't that unusual or freaky as I'd first thought, especially with 1st pregnancies.

EeyoreIsh Mon 30-Sep-13 18:51:51

I've not had much of a bump yet. I'm 22+1, and since week 18 the bump has slowly grown. It's still not much bigger than most normal tummies, I've only had one person guessing without being told.

I'm quite glad really, a small bump is quite practical.

ThedementedPenguin Mon 30-Sep-13 15:34:36

First pregnancy I didn't have a noticeable bump until 30ish weeks.

This time I'm 13+2 and have had a bump for 3-4 weeks.

Franykins Mon 30-Sep-13 15:26:57

My DP noticed a change in me at 11 weeks. I could only really see it after he pointed it out (must admit to being a 14/16 when I fell so wasn't little) By 13 weeks I had a noticeable bump! We did find out at the 12 week scan we are having twins though smile I am now 31+2 and am measuring 36, looking full term. However bubbas combined weight is now about 8lbs so no surprise nothing at all to do with the cake and chocolate I am obsessed with!

Lj8893 Mon 30-Sep-13 12:18:04

Saying that, even now at 36 weeks some people still say to me "you don't really look that obviously pregnant" which is mad because I'm fairly certain I'm huge!

Lj8893 Mon 30-Sep-13 12:17:11

Noticeable in certain clothes to people that knew me and knew I was pregnant. But I didn't get a proper obvious bump till about 23 weeks.

My dp was away for the weekend and when he came back, he kept looking at me really weirdly and when I asked why he said "you look really really pregnant, I've only been away 2 nights!"
He was right, my bump sprouted overnight!

K8eee Mon 30-Sep-13 12:00:49

I'm just 15 weeks but from about 13 I found it really uncomfortable to wear normal jeans and I think from now I am going to have to whip out the maternity ones I bought last week blush I spoke to a friend and she's had two lo's; she reassured me that this stage is the 'awkward' but where you just feel (and maybe look) like you've piled the pounds on but your tummy is just swollen. Congrats though! smilethanks

elcranko Mon 30-Sep-13 11:21:44

I started seeing a bump at around 15/16 weeks. By about 28 weeks I was HUGE and looked full term. People would be visibly shocked when I told them I still had 3 months to go! grin By the time I was two weeks overdue I looked like I was carrying twins. I'm only 5ft 2 though with a short torso so I guess there was nowhere else for my bump to go but OUT! DD was a big baby too.

sunflowered Mon 30-Sep-13 09:15:29

Sorry that should say I'm now 19+2. I wish I was tall and slim enough not to have seen any sign of a bump until 19+2 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now