Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fanjo feeling bruised/swollen........

(11 Posts)
Franykins Sun 29-Sep-13 21:22:03

I am 31+1 with twins and my fanjo feels bruised/swollen. Is this normal? Twin 1 has always been very low down do could this be something to do with it? Do i need to call my midwife? This is my first pregnancy so don't know what to expect really.

Thank you in advance.

Misty9 Sun 29-Sep-13 23:13:02

Whereabouts do you feel bruised? If it's the pubic bone area it could be the start of SPD... Best to chat to your mw if you're worried though.

GreenGiant3 Mon 30-Sep-13 00:34:42

Mines feels the same pretty much all of the time I'm due in 4 weeks! Don't worry the increase in blood flow ect is what's causing it, do call your midwife for reassurance though, xx

Cavort Mon 30-Sep-13 03:14:47

My SPD started at around 30 weeks with a feeling that I had been kicked between the legs.

Franykins Mon 30-Sep-13 09:29:11

Thanks for the replies ladies smile I had a feeling it might be these things but wasn't sure. Its worse if I've been standing or walking a lot and I end up with a waddle. I'll ask my midwife or consultant when I see them, if it gets a lot worse before then I will call.

UrethraFranklin Mon 30-Sep-13 09:54:15

Yeah sounds like SPD! Mine would be really bad after walking around for a couple of hours (e.g whilst shopping) and in bed.

I told my midwife and there was nothing she could do, unless it's bad enough for physio or crutches.

Franykins Mon 30-Sep-13 10:19:37

It is worse if I've walked a lot and I was shopping on Saturday and Sunday. Rather silly of me I guess but there was a few things I needed to get. Won't be doing it again in a hurry. Its ok when I'm in bed and have an easy day. I was wondering if one of those wheat packs you warm in the microwave might help?

Excited2meetmyprincess Mon 30-Sep-13 10:29:37

I have had the same but also have a stabbing pain down there and when I looked it up the Internet says it could be the start of dilation but this can take weeks so not to worry as not everyone dilates in hours.
But I was diagnosed with SPD at 27 weeks so it could also be that. But the pain has me literally crying, so I am seeing my physio on Wednesday and gonna ask them but if they can't sort it I'm gonna go back to midwife.
Would defiantly speak to your midwife and see if she can refer you xx

Lorelei353 Mon 30-Sep-13 10:33:01

If it's on the outside of your fanjo it might just be a bit of swelling of tissue. I could actually feel it was all puffy when I was pregnant and it was sore to touch, like I was riding a bike for hours. You can get varicose veins down there too so keep an eye on it.

Misty9 Mon 30-Sep-13 20:25:50

Yep, sounds like SPD if it's worse after walking I'm afraid. Referral to physio would probably take until after the baby's born at this stage ime, but if you can afford it osteopaths are brilliant for this. I'm pregnant with no2 and after being in so much pain last time with SPD I'm trying to head it off with regular osteopath sessions from next week smile

Few things: avoid walking long distances, avoid standing on one leg (sounds silly doesn't it? But sit down to get dressed etc) keep your knees together as much as possible if we'd done that we wouldn't be in this situation... avoid carrying heavy things like toddlers especially if it's off centre, use heat and cold to ease pain, and try a support belt if you can get hold of one.
HTH

Franykins Tue 01-Oct-13 09:33:28

Thanks ladies.

I'm going with SPD then sad I got home from work yesterday dished up dinner (luckily i'd put a stew in the slow cooker so was ready when I got in) then just got into bed with a heat pack. It's not as bad as it was.

I also checked for varicose veins Lorlei353 that was a tad difficult and can't see any so hopefully not got them.

Misty9 I've been wearing a support belt/band for weeks and weeks due to carrying twins and little girl has always been VERY low down so bump has felt heavy for ages. For a lot of my scans they had to tilt the 'bed' so my feet were in the air to get her measurements! Have a feeling we have a little diva on her way wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now