Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Broken Toe - what can i take?

(4 Posts)
cravingcake Sun 29-Sep-13 15:34:29

It would appear i have broken my toe (swollen, bruised and cant move it) and am currently 23 weeks pregnant.

It doesnt actually hurt too much unless i try to put weight on it so apart from resting it and paracetamol does anyone have any suggestions of what i can do or take to encourage healing.

I have a very active 23 month old toddler to look after so resting isnt always an option.

curlywurlyllass Sun 29-Sep-13 16:29:23

Steel toecap slippers for future protection!!

I broke mine just prior to falling pregnant and found recovery took 3 months. broke another when i was 14weeks and it only took 6weeks-not as bad a break that time!

Have u got your toe bound to one beside it? That helps keep it immobile when you need to move

Hope it heals fast!

LadyMedea Sun 29-Sep-13 16:33:28

Have you seen a doctor? Really if you want to take anything stronger you should discuss it with them, you can taken stronger painkillers in pregnancy (not NSAIDs like ibuprofen, although the is some evidence it's ok in 2nd trimester) but there will be opiods like codeine, which can be fine but I'd rather take them with medical supervision even though you can get it over the counter.

cravingcake Sun 29-Sep-13 19:58:03

It happened on Friday afternoon and at first i didnt think it warranted a trip to the gp. I've had a fairly hectic weekend and have just been hobbling around on my heel.

curlywurly I've broken metatarsil bones in my feet before from simply rolling my ankle so i really should invest in some steel toe caps! Especially now i seem to have reached that clumsy point in pregnancy where you drop stuff randomly.

LadyMedea its not actually too painful thankfully so dont feel i need anything stronger than paracetamol painwise. Its more if there is anything i can do for the swelling and to help it heal faster. I will definitely speak to my gp if the swelling doesnt start to reduce soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now