Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Don't make the same mistake as me (tmi)

(13 Posts)
GemmaD12 Sun 29-Sep-13 13:23:25

Hi ladies,

Whatever you do - don't make the same mistake as me today!

DH and I have been out for the morning, and for almost the whole time I have been having the 'urge' to go to the toilet.

However, due to my reluctance to 'go' anywhere but at home, I have ignored it all morning.

Now I'm home, have tried the toilet, but because I have waited so long, my bowel has frozen up, I feel constipated and I can't go! The muscles just won't work properly. blush

So if there is one thing to take away from this post - when you feel the need to go to the toilet, make sure you go straight away!!!

Ledkr Sun 29-Sep-13 13:25:08

Warm bath and something to eat! Also sip tepid water.

Thumbwitch Sun 29-Sep-13 13:29:55

I have to admit, because I was prone to constipation anyway and knew that pg could make it worse, I made sure I went whenever I needed to when I was pg with DS1. Didn't stop me getting some really bad constipation episodes, one of which was just terrible and I nearly broke my bum sorting it out.

So when I was pg with DS2 I made even more sure that I didn't get caught by going AS SOON AS I felt the urge - mostly worked.

Having a step under your feet can help, helps to open up the pelvis.
Prune juice may work in a couple of days.
Do NOT take liquorice AT ALL.

GemmaD12 Sun 29-Sep-13 13:38:22

Thanks for the tips Thumbwitch! smile

I hate constipation - it's the straining to go that is the worst!

How bad did it get for you?

Thumbwitch Sun 29-Sep-13 13:44:49

Soo bad. I actually got a bit impacted, the resultant effort was the size and shape of a large apple. That's when I broke my bum (I did actually end up with an anal fissure, but only a small one). I think I pretty much gave birth to that one squatting on the loo seat, which was pretty good going at 7+m pg!! I remember being worried that I might actually give birth before that poo came out...

PinkWitch803 Sun 29-Sep-13 17:22:06

I have to say this is the WORST side effect of pregnancy.

HeffalumpTheFlump Sun 29-Sep-13 17:55:56

Careful OP, don't strain for goodness sake!! You will get piles!!

Prune juice! Miracle worker, trust me.

colleysmill Sun 29-Sep-13 19:03:19

The only thing I found helped me was a daily sprinkling of All bran on my weetabix.

Awful thing constipation

Windywinston Sun 29-Sep-13 20:15:59

Prune juice works every time for me and works quickly too. It tastes disgusting though!

prune juce worked for me but is hideous.
shredded wheat worked and tastes much better.

Tea1Sugar Tue 01-Oct-13 07:14:17

Drink hot water whilst on the toilet! I'm a pregnant IBS sufferer and constipation is soo much worse now that I'm upduffed. Everytime I go i give birth to a hard painful apple poo. Hate it hmm I doubt the iron in pregnancare helps

Dexidoo Tue 01-Oct-13 07:16:53

I necked half a pint if prune juice when I was constipated at 6m pg. it worked within half an hour, I had to run!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now