Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Breech baby after 38 weeks, did yours turn by themselves? And when?

(12 Posts)
suntodayplease Sun 29-Sep-13 11:05:10

My section is booked for when I'll be 39 weeks. The consultant said its unlikely to turn now on its own and a ECV wasn't appropriate (I would have refused in any event) but obviously there is still a slim chance that they go head down. I'm told that they will re scan literally before they start the section on the morning and if they are head down its cancelled. How common is this? Obviously it would be good to avoid the section, but equally now having a date to focus on etc and being able to arrange childcare and help after does make it easier. I can't help but think I'll be disappointed if its all cancelled on the day. Would love to hear from others who had late breech babies turn - could you tell or was it a surprise when you went for your section?

3littlefrogs Sun 29-Sep-13 11:09:40

I think it is very unlikely to turn after 38 weeks TBH. There just isn't much room by that stage.

PinkWitch803 Sun 29-Sep-13 11:10:16

I haven't got personal experience on this, but everytime I read about similar situations, someone advises to check out 'spinning babies'

They have suggestions on positions for you which might spin your baby. But I haven't done any more than scan the site. Perhaps another poster can offer you more specific detail on where to find these positions/ excercises and whether they had any success.

suntodayplease Sun 29-Sep-13 11:18:38

Thanks Pink, tried lots to get baby to shift, but it's been transverse/breech since 27weeks and obviously quite stubborn. However it's still so active and constantly kicking I keep thinking its moved!

Would I 'know' if it did go head down, bump is dropping slightly but no pressure at all and not a waddle in sight! When I feel my bump lying down there's nothing low down (never been able to tell the difference between head and bum!)

I had bad pgp in my last pregnancy but I've had no problems whatsoever this time - mw said this was because the baby hasn't been anywhere near my pelvis yet!

Its an old story but my mum in the early 80's pg with my brother, he was transverse. And she was booked in for a c-section at 38 weeks, he turned at the last minute. She was induced, only for my brother to be in distress and she was rushed for an EMCS. So it can happen. Obviously they don't all end in EMCS.

Excited85 Sun 29-Sep-13 11:30:08

Mine has been transverse for a while but now at 37 weeks midwife is confident it's turned an is head down. I wouldn't have known any different to be honest, was waiting for bump to suddenly look lower/different or to suddenly feel like I had a bowling ball between legs as people had said but none of that was true for me! Good luck which ever way it ends up going.

laura0007 Sun 29-Sep-13 11:50:10

My friend had this, her baby had been breech since her scan at 20 weeks. Never turned around, hospital tried turning him and he wouldn't go. She had a section last Wednesday at 39 weeks smile I think once they are comfy they think what's the point in turning around!

quackojuliet Sun 29-Sep-13 14:52:17

Sounds like you are resigned to the section,and that you have done what you can.
When my mum was pg with me the midwife was confident I was head down and proceeded with normal labour,only to find as she crowned that it was my bum not my head. They pushed me back in !!! Then did an EMCS. Sounds terrifying.
Much easier to have a planned section if baby won't budge.

ILiveInAPineappleCoveredInSnow Sun 29-Sep-13 17:51:51

My DS was breech and turned just after 38 weeks, so they cancelled my section. I knew he had turned, it was a massively painful movement which woke me up and make me feel sick!!! I gather it's not always like that though!!!

Anyway as it happened I was induced and then ended up with an emcs anyway!!!!

dimdommilpot Sun 29-Sep-13 17:57:49

Yes, DD was breech. When i went for my final scan to check she had turned. Good luck.

Tiredemma Sun 29-Sep-13 17:59:24

I had an ELCS planned for sept 9th due to dd being extended leg breech ( I also refused ECV). I was told by the Dr that I would be scanned on the morning and if baby had turned then i would be sent home to wait for labour to start naturally.

I ended up going into labour on the Saturday night (7th) and had EMCS. I was still in hospital on the Monday ( which would have been my ELCS day) and was in bed opposite a lady who came in on the Monday for ELCS due to breech, she said that they didnt bother scanning her and just went ahead with the c section.

suntodayplease Sun 29-Sep-13 19:49:14

Thanks for all your replies, I guess whilst it's not the norm, there is still a chance the baby will turn. I'm firm believer that this baby is happy where they are and if they do turn at the last minute then that was meant to be as well. Probably sounds mad but it's helped me accept the possibility of the section.

I'm still getting huge movements which are really uncomfortable so I'm constantly wondering if it has already turned, as far as I'm aware my next scan won't be until the morning of the section, would it be mad to ask if someone can check babies position a day or too beforehand?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now