Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

electric breastpump reviews please

(21 Posts)

im looking to get a elec breast pump soon and cant decide because of the reviews are all conflicting arghh with my second dc i bought a Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Manual Breast and it was useless could only get like 2 oz of milk after a hour of pumping & that was not due to lack of milk supply either so any reviews welcome thanks all

mikkii Sat 28-Sep-13 16:39:29

I had the avent manual pum and got on really well with it, so I bought the electric version. I found that the suction wa not as strong and so I did not produce as much as with the manual one.

Preggersandmelting Sat 28-Sep-13 16:45:38

I had tommy tippee and it was total rubbish. I then got a Medela swing electric which was amazing. It is expensive but I found it was a real investment.

McBaby Sat 28-Sep-13 16:56:41

I love my medala swing just going to buy some new tubing for etc for it for baby 2.

thanks all il have a look at the medala swing smile

HDino Sat 28-Sep-13 21:22:16

I second the medela swing too. It may be expensive but well worth it

Suzietwo Sat 28-Sep-13 21:30:40

Medela swing. The key to successful breastfeeding

CluelessNewbie1 Sat 28-Sep-13 21:32:05

I have the Philips avent. I think it's fine but I've never tried any others.

Ameda Lactaline. Fabulous, closed system so milk can't get anywhere it shouldn't be. Same technology as hospital grade pump use, with separate dials to adjust speed and strength of the pump action.

I've tried the Medela, broke two (burnt out motor on one, complete loss of suction on the other) but the Ameda has been great and is a similar price I think.

sarahleanne Sat 28-Sep-13 22:19:11

Medela mini breast pump= amazing its about £50

FairyTrain Sun 29-Sep-13 07:29:08

I asked that exact same Q here, think I'll be going for Ameda Lactaline as I did love it and used it every day ..

Marie2810 Sun 29-Sep-13 10:53:10

Was just about to ask the same thing! Was all set for Philips Avent electric but have just seen mainly great reviews for the lactaline dual pump, which is also cheaper than the Philips single! Have also seen that you can't put it in micro steriliser though so just a heads up on that one.

Mondayschild78 Sun 29-Sep-13 14:52:15

I bought Phillips Avent at first but hated it. Then got the medela swing and loved it. Will be using it again soon for my second.

thank you everyone i successfuly breastfed 2 children without breastpumps well one still breastfeeds shes nearly 2 lol but this time i do/would like the pump as a thing for a break now and again i.e night feeds or going out to town so it wont be used a awful lot just now and again im going to look into all the pumps mentioned your reviews have been very helpful all thank you

BouncingBelly Sun 29-Sep-13 23:46:28

I've only tried medela swing on recommendation from friends and it was great for me

rhiane2013 Sun 27-Oct-13 04:07:26

Manual Pump are such a waste of money. It gets tiring and needs a lot of patience. I recommend using an electric breastpump. Medela or Avent are just some of the brands that you can choose from. I know a website where you can compare features and prices. And the good thing i you can order this online. I got mine thru this.

http://www.breastpumpreviewscenter.com/

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Sun 27-Oct-13 04:28:03

I get on well with the Medela mini, I think it's cheaper than the swing but is more basic in that you can't vary the speed, only the strength of suction. I find it ok once I get a let-down started.

BTW even on a hospital pump I could rarely express more than 2oz, and from comparing notes with other BF mums in my support group that's not particularly unusual.

KarmaBiatch Sun 27-Oct-13 05:12:27

i am breastfeeding my 5 day old little girl, and my milk came in properly 2 days ago. Last night my left boob was uncomfortable to sleep on, so i got the philips avent electric pump out to empty the boob. It works like a dream and has 4 different speed/sucking options. Last night i got 5oz out of one boob in 45 minutes, not bad considering i'm a first timer and my milk just came in smile would seriously recommend the avent electric pump!

puddleduck16 Sun 27-Oct-13 09:56:13

Sorry to hijack, but watching this with interest as its a question I was going to ask.

The other thing I would like to know, are these things ok to buy second hand and sterilise? As I would love to get the medala swing you all recommend but it may be a little out of my price league.

Featherbag Sun 27-Oct-13 19:10:32

Puddleduck I've just bought a Medela Swing from eBay, it's in fantastic condition and all parts that come into contact with milk are sterilisable - the only bit you can sterilise apart from the pump itself is the suction tubing. You can buy this separately for not much money, which I'm going to do just for peace of mind. In fact, you can buy all of the bits separately, the pump itself is the expensive bit! I paid £15 for mine.

Featherbag Sun 27-Oct-13 19:11:11

Only bit you can't sterilise...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now