Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pounding heart feeling ill

(14 Posts)
Hyperhelpmum Fri 27-Sep-13 11:10:17

I've had this on and off since 20 ish weeks (now 33wks) and been tested for anaemia, I was, been taking spa tone and iron levels have risen but this week in particular I feel SO unwell with this heart issue. It wakes me up at night and I feel exhausted and breathless just unpacking a dishwasher let alone going upstairs. GP says nothing to worry about but I feel rotten sad anyone else had this and any tips? Maybe in just over doing it? Two DC age 5 and 3 and DH works 6 days a week.

Wantohope Fri 27-Sep-13 23:24:13

Hi,

I have just noticed that no one has replied to this and thought I should give it a bump hoping someone might have some word of advice.

Unfortunately I never got so far in my pregnancy and therefore can't really relate to this, but sadly I am very familiar with the symptoms and I have learned one thing: it is never as bad as I make it feel once I start focusing on the heart and the symptoms. The more I try to check my pulse/breathing and other symptoms the worse they get.

Have you tried to take your mind off it? I know it is hard, but it really really helps, I promise; whatever you do try not to worry as you might get in a vicious circle.
Mine are caused by anxiety/stress.

I do apologise if this doesn't apply to you and hope that there are ladies here that could reassure you.

All the best.

bsc Fri 27-Sep-13 23:30:43

I would say go back to GP (pref a different one at your practice!)

They should be checking this out properly and running a few simple tests to ensure it isn't actually anything serious.

Try and rest too, when you can.

Hawkmoth Fri 27-Sep-13 23:35:34

My GP also said that my shitty iron levels were nothing to worry about but then I had a PPH and have felt awful ever since (baby now three months). Take something stronger than Spatone.

bsc Fri 27-Sep-13 23:51:43

Don't forget that your heart has a lot more work to do when pg- the volume of blood it has to pump has increased.

I am not sure what iron supplements are okay when pg- check with your midwife, they should know.

LadyMedea Sat 28-Sep-13 11:55:28

Palpitations are pretty common in pregnancy and I second the other poster who advised trying not to think about it too much.

However, if they are bothering you they should be checked out - that was the advice from my consultant when I asked about them at 20 weeks as I was suffering but not badly.

Either go back to your GP or probably better your midwife and ask for a referral to the consultant clinic to talk to someone who will know more than your GP. Or when you are bad ring the triage/maternity assessment line as they might take you more seriously.

It is probably nothing and just a result of the increased blood volume and anemia.... But there is a small chance it could be something so I would push a bit.

Buchanon08 Sat 28-Sep-13 20:23:19

I have been suffering periodically with this. I think it's just due to extra blood volume and I find drinking a lot of water helps. I tend to suffer most when I first get up but a litre or so makes me feel much better. BP and iron levels all normal but it does make you feel awful. Hope this helps!

Jorior Sat 28-Sep-13 21:04:25

I'm on my 3rd pregnancy and I've been experiencing exactly the same thing. I had to give up swimming because I didn't have the lung capacity and I have to sit on a bed for a minute after going upstairs. The palpitations have worried me too at times but I've just slowed my pace right down and that's helped.

Hyperhelpmum Sat 28-Sep-13 22:43:55

Thank you so much for your replies. GP did thorough check and after I described my lifestyle she said she thinks I'm over doing it. My mum has come for weekend to help look after my boys as DH working all weekend and I feel better already. I think I just need to listen to my body and slow down a bit! I agree focussing on it makes it worse so am trying to ignore it! Thanks all.

Spookey80 Sat 28-Sep-13 22:50:14

Bump- cant post now but want to.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Sat 28-Sep-13 22:54:10

I'm on pregnancy no3 and find what makes it worse is having lower iron levels, being dehydrated or doing housework/walking straight after eating. So now I take 2 sachets of spa tone everyday, slow my pace right down and just sit and relax for 30mins after eating. You do have to listen to your body and take it easy more, it's hard if you are usually on the go but all your body systems are working extra hard so you are going to feel it more.

Gowaygoway Sat 28-Sep-13 23:07:17

I had this due to anaemia. I have been prescribed iron in tablet form and feel so much better after 2 months of taking it. The tablets are 220mg each so it's a lot more than you will be getting from Spatone. My iron level was 8.8 and the midwife told me it needs to be higher than 11 to be considered normal in pregnancy. At 8.8 I felt like hell but it's now up to 10.2 and I feel so much better and not having any palpitations at all. I don't feel anywhere near as tired either and I'm now 36+6. I would speak to your GP/midwife again. As Hawkmoth said above, if you have a pph or end up having a c section, low iron levels will leave you feeling awful. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

TheBreastmilksOnMe Sat 28-Sep-13 23:16:46

Goway- the iron in spa tone is much better assimilated then the iron in tablets though, and doesn't cause any unpleasant side effects. I've used it with great success getting my iron levels up from a very low 7.

Hyperhelpmum Sun 29-Sep-13 18:00:00

Yes I find iron tablets make my hyperemesis return with a vengeance so can't really take it. Spa tone twice a day has taken level from 8 to 10. Will keep on with it as having an elcs. I think dehydration definitely makes it worse as does eating oddly?! Thanks all .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now