Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

High BP: methyldopa vs labetalol

(4 Posts)
LadyMedea Thu 26-Sep-13 19:20:54

I'm 30wks with pre-existing high blood pressure. I was switched to methyldopa when I found out I was PG. It seems to be working ok to control the BP so far but it make me feel really crap, all sort of dizzy and spaced out. I was able to reduce my dose in 2nd trimester as my blood pressure lowered and felt tons better, but now back to 750mg per day and feeling rubbish. Also worried that if the dose needs to go up (max is 3g so I'm nowhere near) I will feel even worse.

I know the other drug commonly used in pregnancy is the beta blocker labetalol. Has anybody experienced it? What were the side effects? As if it's a less crappy option I might ask to switch.

MisselthwaiteManor Fri 27-Sep-13 06:36:05

labetalol made me feel terrible, dizzy, nauseous, and depressed. I haven't tried Methyldopa though so can't compare.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 27-Sep-13 06:48:59

I was changed onto nifedipine and still am, 10mg controlled my bp until about 32 weeks then I had to go upto 20mg and mine is fine on that dosage now but not had it checked for a few weeks (ds3 is now13 weeks).

PseudoBadger Fri 27-Sep-13 06:53:07

I had methyldopa in my first pregnancy, switched to labetalol after delivery. No problems with either.
This pregnancy (currently 38 weeks) my BP shot up again at 36 weeks to 180/110 so I had a dose of nifedipine and was then put on labetalol. I asked why not methyldopa and they said that labetalol is 'a better drug'. This time (I've been on it since last Tuesday) I felt spaced out for about 5 days (not helped by a dose of steroids that made me quite ill) but now feel absolutely fine - I'm on 200mg 3x a day.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now