Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Point of preg nausea and vomiting????

(10 Posts)
MrsPatMustard Thu 26-Sep-13 19:55:17

Lived on McCoys crisps for 6 weeks but couldn't bear even looking at fresh vegetables. Makes no sense...

fourbythree Thu 26-Sep-13 18:00:57

Side effect is a good way of looking at it - but I'm not sure quite how nutritious my current diet of toast crisps rice apples and lemonade is- aren't I supposed to crave good food to build my baby?!!!!!
As an aside with my eldest son I craved orange juice - never liked it before or since - but he's obsessed with it.... I wonder ......

quackojuliet Thu 26-Sep-13 17:36:50

As Felyne says, I think there's some truth in it being a throwback from cavegirl days. I couldn't stand green veg (bitter - indicating poisonous as far as primitive taste goes), garlic or onion smell/taste (have trace amounts of a poison apparently)
interesting, but pretty useless these days.
apparently in japan, where fish consumption is so high, women suffer particularly badly with ms. some are lucky to escape it here.

thecakeisalie Thu 26-Sep-13 17:31:31

I figured it was a side effect rather than it being a benefit to the body. It just the way some of us react to the surge in hormones. I've always been sensitive to hormone changes and as a result can't use hormonal contraception as it causes so many side effects for me.

I like the idea that our bodies naturally avoid food that could be harmful for us (though I'm still craving runny eggs despite the listeria risk!). On this logic maybe constipation is natures way of getting us ready for all that pushing?!

tgamble13 Thu 26-Sep-13 16:46:48

its the hcg hormone some are affected badly by it like yourself while others not too bad! the joys of pregnancy! smile

Felyne Thu 26-Sep-13 16:38:14

I reckon it's to do with your body trying to not want to eat things that could be bad for the baby or pregnancy, and so you become hypersensitive to particular chemicals in certain foods etc.
I couldn't stand most foods in the cabbage family when I was pregnant, (even someone saying 'cauliflower' would make me retch!) and I looked it up and those sorts of plants do contain something that can inhibit the action of estrogen (which you need in pregnancy) so that may be why my body didn't want to eat any.
It's annoying though, isn't it?

But I had a heightened sense of smell as well which made things worse, I don't know what point that serves...

I don't think there is a point. I think it's a side effect of the effort your body has to put in building the placenta.

BummyMummy77 Thu 26-Sep-13 16:26:09

Other half and I had this discussion LOTS when I spent over 4 months constantly vomiting. We didn't come up with a single reason that made sense. Nice one God.

fourbythree Thu 26-Sep-13 16:22:46

What is the actual POINT of it? I know most things have a point as far as nature goes - but what is the thing with nausea and vomiting? It just makes you feel crap and eat crap food?????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now