Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Please help re catheter for c section (poss sensitive/trigger)

(45 Posts)
HeffalumpTheFlump Thu 26-Sep-13 15:06:13

I have chosen to have a c section due to past abuse. I was terrified that a vaginal birth would be triggering and traumatic due to the vaginal examinations, the loss of control and the exposure of the pushing stage if that makes sense.

My concern re the csection now is the catheter. I can't cope with the idea of them doing it when I'm numb. I need to know what they are doing. Also the idea of being so exposed and having it done in theatre with lots of people around is filling me with dread. I have been so anxious about it, I'm making myself ill.

I want to ask to have it done before I go down to theatre hopefully with only one midwife present. Is there anyone who knows if this will be possible? I need to know that if I freak out, there will be time to calm down before my baby is born. I desperately need it to be separate from my baby's birth. I know it will be physically uncomfortable/painful but I can deal with that.

Is there anyone who has had a catheter fitted and could explain to me step by step what happens so I can try and prepare myself a bit? Will I be able to ask to be covered with a sheet to stop me feeling so exposed and vulnerable?

I'm having signs that labour is approaching and this issue is stopping me from being excited about it. I'm falling apart to be honest because I don't know how to cope with it. Any help/advice you can give me would be very gratefully received.

humphryscorner Thu 26-Sep-13 16:01:49

goodluck heffalump flowers

I had one when I had ECS and didn't even know about the vaginal clean! shock hope every things smoothly for you, im sure they will!

RubyrooUK Thu 26-Sep-13 16:09:14

I had a section in March due to a previous botched vaginal delivery leading to some pretty nasty injuries.

I didn't have issues with people doing necessary medical things to me while I was numb but I did want to know exactly what was happening at each stage (this gave me a sense of control that had been entirely missing from my first birth where the doctors and midwives had panicked and argued over me).

I explained my situation to the section team. I explained exactly what had happened before (which they also knew from reading my notes) and I found them very kind. For example, the epidural for my previous birth had been very painful and I was reassured by being talked through every step. During the operation, the consultant made sure he kept telling me what was occurring (within reason) and the anaethetist stroked my hair and kept me warm when I shook.

Although I felt very very negative beforehand and shook uncontrollably at the start of the section to think that anyone would be touching me again, I found that being talked through each stage along with the calm professionalism of the team made me able to trust them.

I really hope you find that too.

(For what it's worth, I may as well mention that I freaked out at the epidural being in after the surgery - I couldn't bear it when I stopped being numb - and the midwives got authorisation from the doctors to remove it early too.)

I haven't been through your experience so I can't speak for you, but I found I was able to trust in the team doing my section which really helped my anxiety over what was being done to me.

Andanotherthing123 Thu 26-Sep-13 16:10:19

Just wanted to say that I've had a catheter inserted without pain relief and it really, really didn't hurt one bit. In my c-sections I've had it done after anaesthetic but when I had one for another reason with no pain relief I was truly surprised to find it was fine.

Hope you have a nice birth and all goes well for you. Am sure the team looking after you will do all they can to make you feel more comfortable as they'll understand just how hard this is for you.xx

Ireallymustbemad Thu 26-Sep-13 16:11:01

Just another one to say I had the choice of having it done in the pre-OP ward in privacy with just the mw or in theatre with everyone there but numb. I chose numb as I thought it might be uncomfortable and knew others had seen it all before. That said I have no triggers or reason to worry about it. The important thing is I'm another one who was given the choice. I'm sure you'll be able to ask.

Good luck.

HeffalumpTheFlump Thu 26-Sep-13 16:15:53

Thank you so much for all your replies. It is so reassuring to hear that those of you who have been anxious for whatever reason have felt reassured by the midwives and doctors. Thanks very much for telling me about having catheters fitted too. I really do feel the more I can know beforehand, the better I will cope in the moment.

I am seeing the anesthesiologist next week, and having the pre op appointment. Do you think I will be able to ask about all these things then? Or will I have to wait until the day and speak to the midwives then?

Can I ask if you have discussed your worries with a midwife from the delivery ward? I am not a midwife, but I was a nurse, and I can say without equivocation, that I would have done everything possible to make things as easy as possible for someone with your needs.

As a nurse, my first thought is that it would be helpful to you, if you had a midwife to act as your advocate during the whole process - one person who knows your concerns and the background to them, who can accompany you all the way and mediate between you and the rest of the medical staff, someone you can trust, who will carry out as many of the necessary procedures as possible for you. Maybe having just one person doing that for you, someone you had got to know beforehand, would make things a bit easier for you.

I will be sending you lots of supportive thoughts.

Madratlady Thu 26-Sep-13 16:20:36

I'm a nurse and regularly put in catheters. Especially in younger women I can pop one in in a couple of minutes no problem. They should tell you exactly what they are doing, step by step, as they put it in too. It might feel a bit odd because the urethra doesn't usually have a tube up it, but shouldn't be painful.

I see no reason why you can't ask the anaesthesiologist but do talk to the midwives about your concerns as well.

Rainbowshine Thu 26-Sep-13 16:24:22

Hi OP, I thought I would add that when I had a catheter, there was a lot of checking it afterwards, e.g. How much urine was being passed, was it still in place. You could address how they will deal with this in your meetings too, so you are able to feel reassured that will also be dealt with in accordance with your needs. Good luck, and flowers

ConfusedDotty Thu 26-Sep-13 16:25:50

Hi. I have recently had a catheter, although it was nothing to do with giving birth, it was for major surgery and being bed bound.

Really it doesn't hurt and it was very quick. The nurses are very understanding and if you let them know you are nervous they will be more so.

You can't even feel it once fitted and the removal is a couple of seconds and also painless.

Good luck in the birth of your beautiful baby.

valiumredhead Thu 26-Sep-13 16:29:02

Oh don't forget that the anaesthesiologist will be up your head end and chatting to you etc. the surgeons kind of get on with it down the business end, but it was the anaesthesiologist who talked me through everything. Yes bring it up at your next meeting. I didn't have a midwife in theatre with me do can't comment on how helpful they would be normally.

HeffalumpTheFlump Thu 26-Sep-13 16:30:39

Stgd - I haven't come into contact with any midwives from the delivery ward, but my community midwife is aware, the consultant has written a letter to go in my notes and the mental health team have written their care plan with an explanation and requests too.

Would I be able to explain things to a midwife on the day or is there some way I could speak to one before? The only thing is, if I were to speak to one before, there is no guarantee they will be on shift if I go into labour before the c section date. It would be fantastic if I could arrange that though, an advocate sounds brilliant.

Thank you madrat and rainbow smile

HeffalumpTheFlump Thu 26-Sep-13 16:33:50

Thanks confused, I'm glad it's not too horrible having it done without being numb!

Valium - hopefully the anaesthesiologist will be able to answer some of my questions then and perhaps put me in touch with someone else to answer the rest.

valiumredhead Thu 26-Sep-13 16:38:53

Tbh it was the anaesthesiologist that seemed to be 'to dog' in my case so I would tell them any concerns you have.

VivaLeThrustBadger Thu 26-Sep-13 16:39:22

Heffalump, you'll be able to talk to your midwife on the day. To be honest when you get there you'll probably find they have a bit of an idea about you. But any details re your wishes they may well not know so do talk to them.

When I look after ladies who are having elective sections I start work at 8am, the same time they arrive. I have to get the 2 or sometimes 3 women all admitted and ready for theatre for 9am. So I don't have lots of time to read through notes. But I will always ask women if they have any questions or specific wishes. If someone had quite a few things like this to discuss I'd be more than happy to take the time to talk it through.

valiumredhead Thu 26-Sep-13 16:45:20

Top dog

HeffalumpTheFlump Thu 26-Sep-13 16:46:07

That's brilliant Viva. I can't fault the midwives I have come into contact with so far, I seem to be quite lucky with the service in my area. Hopefully this will continue and I will have a good experience on the ward.

Thank you so much for all the support on this thread. I started it in tears and terrified, but now I feel much more prepared. Thank you.

Heffalump - I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to talk to the senior midwife on the delivery unit to discuss your worries and needs, and how best these can be met.

HeffalumpTheFlump Thu 26-Sep-13 17:01:45

I will ask when I have my pre op appointment next week if that would be possible. Thanks sdtg.

Anothermrssmith Thu 26-Sep-13 20:08:54

OP I have no experience in what you've gone through but had a catheter fitted a couple of years ago when I had surgery, it was fitted after I was asleep but removed the next day on the ward by a nurse. I just wanted to say when she removed it I was told exactly how it would be removed, I only had to move the blankets aside so was still pretty covered up, was sitting up rather than lying down so could see everything,i didnt have to spread my legs, just part them slightly and it didn't hurt at all. It also was out in less than 30 seconds. I hope between now and the birth everyone you see puts your mind at rest and everything goes exactly how you want on the big day x

hellymelly Fri 27-Sep-13 00:21:53

For my second section I had a meeting with the consultant anaesthetist a few weeks before I was due.( I'd had a crash after the first that was really frightening and wanted some insight into why, I was really worried it might happen again). Anyway, I am sure given your reasons for a c-section that it would be easy to arrange a meeting, then you could go through all your questions point by point. I think you would find it really helpful . The mental health co-ordinator should be able to sort it all out for you. It was hugely helpful for me as he had more information than the midwife had been able to give me, and he was also able to put a plan in place so that I was watched very closely to make sure there wasn't a repeat.
The more you feel listened to and the more information you have the better you will feel. You don't need to feel at the mercy of the medics, if you get help now with all your worries then hopefully you will feel that your birth is shared with them rather than controlled by them. I do hope so! I am wishing you the best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now