Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Can I take anything for a cold?

(54 Posts)
StillPukin Tue 24-Sep-13 19:36:58

I've got a horrible drippy nose and a raw, painful throat. At 25 wks, is there anything I can take or any natural 'remedies'?

dizhin79 Thu 03-Oct-13 15:50:51

i'm just getting over a cold and have discovered Belvoir ginger cordial, mixed with honey, lemon and hot water it really soothed my throat smile also and i'm not on commision but avon heavenly hydration planet spa facial oil has repaired my nose every night!

It is so miserable having a cold sad

babybarrister Sun 29-Sep-13 21:05:59

Whole garlic cloves - peeled! I have read the thread and live with similar side effects thanks to DH!

Xollob Sun 29-Sep-13 20:44:12

babybarrister 'garlic gloves'? whole gloves? That sounds painful! I take it you meant 'garlic cloves'!

He obviously hasn't read the garlic cloves and worms thread that much be in classics by now - hilarious if you have a spare hour!

babybarrister Sun 29-Sep-13 11:34:00

DH is a great fan of garlic gloves up the posterior as a cure all!

Add grated fresh ginger to your honey and lemon in hot water, use manuka honey if you have it.

This is brilliant to soothe and open up your throat, and clear your head, also smells nicer than onion or garlic remedies! I had it all the time when pregnant, it also is great for any nausea, so double whammy.

Get better, colds are yuk!

Xollob Sat 28-Sep-13 01:08:55

Some health food shops do a honey and ginger syrup that you dilute - it's very hot but very good.

Even though our youngest is in juniors, I'm still really grateful every time I am ill I can have medicine, after 10 years of not being allowed it - being pregnant and being ill is horrible. (I wasn't pregnant for 10 years! but breastfeeding and pregnancy etc combined).

I just suggest hot ribena and ice cream - so soothing

laughingeyes2013 Fri 27-Sep-13 17:28:34

Studies show vitamin c makes recovery much faster. During pregnancy you can safety take 1000mg with a cold. Although vitamin c can be found in diet I don't think an apple a day will quite cut it for the dosage needed.

Nursee007 Fri 27-Sep-13 09:28:02

Spoonfuls of manuka honey have a good antibacterial property. Rinsing the nose with a low pressure, high volume sinus washout kit (such as neilmed bottles, found in pharmacies) are good for relieving blocked noses and sinus pain. Steam and Vicks can help chesty coughs. Sleeping propped up will help tickly coughs from postnatal drip. Garlic tablets will do the same as eating raw garlic. Lots of vitamins, specially vit C and zinc. You need at least 1000mg of vit C, and it's water soluble so very unlikely to overdose as you just pee out what your body doesn't use. Hope some of that helps!

colleysmill Thu 26-Sep-13 22:22:57

It just didn't occur to me - I even checked it didn't have ibruprofen in as I can't take that normally!

I'm off to hibernate smile

Herisson Thu 26-Sep-13 22:13:25

You'll be FINE, colley, and so will your baby. And heartisaspade too. Try to relax, have lots of hot non-caffeiney drinks, hibernate.

colleysmill Thu 26-Sep-13 22:01:47

Oh Lordy I took one beechams capsule today without even thinking sad

I'm 26 weeks and have a rotten, rotten cold. Saline spray does nothing. Last night in desperation I had a squirt of Sudafed spray (oxymetazoline) and have been feeling guilty since. I was desperate for a night's sleep, as I have a 3 year old and had to work today, and am just recovering from a bad back which ruined sleep for 3 weeks.

On the bottle (and on NHS choices) it says not to take if you'e pregnant. this is because it works by constricting veins so could theoretically reduce blood flow to the placenta/baby. However, a bit of online research shows that in many other countries including USA, Canada, New Zealand and India, oxymetazoline is actually recommended for use in pregnancy, as long as you use it with caution and in moderation.

Rang my midwife who was very cagey and said to ask GP. Argh. I did use it just once in my first pregnancy (also late on, in third trimester I think) and had no ill effects.

Wish the messages weren't so contradictory and confusing! And wish this cold would go sad

MoosheKoochak Thu 26-Sep-13 20:37:54

I don't know what the reasoning is for olbas oil not being recommended, but Vicks works just the same and it's supposed to be safe, so why not just use that instead. I had a vicks inhaler when I was pregnant, you just stick it in your nose and sniff!

im in the same boat but im 35 weeks with thsi nasty cold bug and really sore throat
and running/blocked nose

and i have gestational diabetes so cant really evenhave honey and lemon!

puddleduck16 Thu 26-Sep-13 17:23:12

I've heard of people putting half an onion in a bowl near their bed overnight. This apparently absorbs a lot of the bugs. If its worked then it will be brown in the morning.
Have never tried this before though!!!!

milk Thu 26-Sep-13 08:55:03

Not pregnant, but I'm drinking hot water with mint and honey smile

what worked for me for the throat is dispersible paracetamol gargled and swallowed. a steamy bath and sounds daft but putting a radiator on low and putting a damp towel on it to humidiy you room will help sleep

TooTryHard Wed 25-Sep-13 22:40:11

Salt water with honey makes gargling slightly less gaggy.

Difflam saved my throat with my cold.

www.netdoctor.co.uk/aches-and-pains/medicines/difflam-spray.html

I kept milk next to me to drink at night as it made the throat less sore than just water. Hot milk and honey before bed too.

Keep hydrated to lessen the effect of a sore throat.

Sleep well!

Also, if you can bear it, raw garlic is a fantastic anti-viral. I once went to a lecture on it and now cut it up into pill sized chunks and swallow them. Works well but for some reason people edge away now when I talk to them wink grin

I looked up on a website that publishes peer reviewed scientific papers (Medline, via Pubmed) what the best remedy for coughs were. Turns out that study after study say that honey is better than anything else you can buy.

They don't publicise that quite enough so I thought I'd help smile

dontyouknow Wed 25-Sep-13 22:01:02

Drink loads and loads of water and cups of (decaf!) tea to try not to cough too much.

When I was 35 weeks I got a really bad cold and could not shift the cough for weeks - then I got a terrible pain in my side and the GP said I'd torn the muscles down one side from coughing so much. Easily sorted with anti-inflammatories, which you can't take when pregnant. I was given some painkillers which did nothing.

I was in absolute agony - it was almost as bad as when I actually gave birth a few weeks later! I ended up in A&E as it was so painful I could hardly breathe, but there was nothing much they could give me.

So please drink loads if you are coughing and I hope it doesn't last too long!

EeyoreIsh Wed 25-Sep-13 20:52:28

my understanding is that olbas oil contains essential oils that are not safe for use in pregnancy. But you can still use steam, and I think menthol.

mrsannekins Wed 25-Sep-13 19:56:14

Trebor extra strong mints are amazing for a blocked/stuffy nose!

MrsPatMustard Wed 25-Sep-13 19:38:06

My GP said I'd 'probably be OK with olbas oil'. So much conflicting information - how are you supposed to know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now