Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Can I take anything for a cold?

(54 Posts)
StillPukin Tue 24-Sep-13 19:36:58

I've got a horrible drippy nose and a raw, painful throat. At 25 wks, is there anything I can take or any natural 'remedies'?

TheBreastmilksOnMe Tue 24-Sep-13 19:39:00

You can safely take paracetamol, also hot watet, honey and lemon.

StillPukin Tue 24-Sep-13 19:40:15

Yeh, I might try the honey and lemon option, see if it helps - thanks

BikeRunSki Tue 24-Sep-13 19:40:37

Honey and Glycerine
Lockets
Paracetamol

IAmADonkeyOnTheEdge Tue 24-Sep-13 19:40:42

Olbas oil or lovely vick .... Lots and lots of hot drinks - hot ribena maybe instead of too much caffeine . Hope you feel better soon , lots and lots of rest !

GetStuffezd Tue 24-Sep-13 19:41:26

Damn - was going to suggest a creamy brandy coffee but perhaps not!

StillPukin Tue 24-Sep-13 19:42:42

Mmm, lockets!

I dont know if I could face a hot drink, my throat is so sore sad

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Tue 24-Sep-13 19:47:47

I used Tyrozets for sore throats when I was pregnant. They really help to numb your throat a bit.

cravingcake Tue 24-Sep-13 19:58:35

Hot steamy bath will help clear your nose, and ease aches & pains

StillPukin Tue 24-Sep-13 19:58:50

I'm saying 'Oohh' to all the suggestions but then realised I've none of them in and I'm already in my pyjamas. I've made a clod glass of vimto and found some lozenges in the bottom of the first aid kit, they'll have to do until tomorrow

StillPukin Tue 24-Sep-13 20:00:00

Ooh, now I'm liking the hot bath idea - anyone wanna run me one lol

EeyoreIsh Tue 24-Sep-13 20:03:23

I'm in the same situation, 21 weeks and horrible cold.

I've been having paracetomal and honey and lemon. I've been having spoons of honey as it's great for sore throats.

olbas oil is a no no in pregnancy, sadly.

StillPukin Tue 24-Sep-13 20:24:40

Boo Eeyore sad hope you soon feel better

cadidog Tue 24-Sep-13 20:37:58

I had a horrible cold last week and my pharmacist said that vocal zones (throat sweets) were fine as long as I didn't exceed the 1 every 2 hours rule

K8eee Tue 24-Sep-13 20:41:27

I'm just over 14 weeks pg, and feeling sorry for myself with a snotty nose and raging sore throat. Sent dh out to get some lemsip when I then remember I was pg hmm still plodding on! I did happily eat away at a rocket lolly and rubbed the tip of it at the back of my throat to numb it in between gagging grin relieved the stinging smile

PinkWitch803 Wed 25-Sep-13 08:50:28

I have been given a linctus bu the hospital which has been amazing for my throat. And the doctor gave me loratidine hayfever tabs in the summer which can help you survive a cold as they dry your sinus up and stop that runny nose.

Maybe make an appointment with you doc and get a couple of scripts. You may as well as you get free prescriptions while preggers

ovenbun Wed 25-Sep-13 09:37:21

Ice polls are saving me at the moment, and salt water gargles! Hope you feel better soon xxx

LadyMedea Wed 25-Sep-13 10:08:19

Saline nasal spray is really good for unblocking as you can't use decongestants.

FunnyRunner Wed 25-Sep-13 10:48:29

I coughed so badly I was almost sick when I was pregnant. Pharmacist would only give me glycerine tablets. BUT doctor told me I could take Strepsils Extra because all they have is a local anaesthetic effect. I still worship that woman!

RobotHamster Wed 25-Sep-13 10:51:18

If youve got any lemonade, warm it in the microwave and add the vimto. It'll feel all prickly but really helps your throat.

Cocolikeschocolate Wed 25-Sep-13 11:21:06

There is a company that will deliver a full cold and flu care pack to your door within 3 hours (if you live in London) or next day for outside London. Just had a look at their site and the care pack has berocca, vics, strepsils, kleenex, lemsip & nurofen (i think you can request alternative product options too for the items that don't suit pregnancy) but best of all you get a glossy magazine, a home cooked meal and a bar of chocolate and an eye mask!!! Have you rested up and spoilt in no time! I don't think that mumsnet allows you to put website urls up but the company name is Sick-Note. feel better soon! x

WhatWillSantaBring Wed 25-Sep-13 12:03:58

Why is olbas oil a no-no? Is this one of these "there are no studies to prove its safe" things or is there actually evidence that its not safe? There is a big difference between drugs that are just not licensed to sell to pregnant women (i.e. 99% of them) and ones that are actually not safe. FWIW I took Olbas oil with all colds when pg this time and last time. I also used saline nasal sprays.

Went to the GP with the last cold (3 weeks!!!!!!!) and he prescribed me codeine linctus.

And you're in second trimester so you can take ibuprofen (nurofen) if the paracetemol isn't enough.

ChocChaffinch Wed 25-Sep-13 13:12:43

god I am 13 weeks, got hyperemesis, a filthy cold and productive cough that helps make me sicker, and Ive put my back out miserable music plays

Gargle with salt water for the sore throat - my mum recommended it when I was pregnant and it really helped.

Googlella Wed 25-Sep-13 13:50:39

localfoods.about.com/od/drinks/r/honeylemongingertea.htm for a soothing drink.

I can always remember my lovely MIL giving me a bowl of cold fresh pineapple chunks and icecream when I was pg and I'll with a cold at her house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now