Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Newborn/0-3m clothes - what do I need?

(56 Posts)
Madratlady Thu 19-Sep-13 22:48:35

Is it necessary to have both newborn and 0-3 month clothes or can babies go straight into 0-3?

If I do need newborn then how many of everything would I realistically need?

What about 0-3? Do I need loads of clothes? I will do washes every few days.

I need to get off eBay before I start buying cute but unnecessary stuff!

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Sun 22-Sep-13 15:55:43

Totally agreesmile

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 22-Sep-13 14:11:03

I'm quite sure that recommendation is only in a normally heated room.hospital staff tend to forget that the wards they work on maternity wise are so shockingly over heated that its really not needed.

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Sun 22-Sep-13 14:04:25

I was told that the recommendation is a hat for the first 24 hours as they are experiencing such a temperature change but only outside after that. No idea if that is right. Agree I didn't in ridiculously over heated hospital though.

TarkaTheOtter Sun 22-Sep-13 13:15:39

I agree sock, I was told to "put a bloomin hat on that baby, poor thing" by a midwife in the hospital when I was sure they're not supposed to sleep in hats indoors because of SIDS.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 22-Sep-13 11:00:02

Thinking back to my first child I'm pretty sure it was on a leaflet that was given to me when I left hospital.

One thing that I do tend to challenge is the hospitals insistence on swaddling and bunging a hat on baby inside the hospital when the heating is set on 'tropical' if your so hot you can't breathe and are getting dizzy your baby does not need a hat indoors.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 22-Sep-13 10:20:04

Mildred - I'm not sure where you formally learn about layers, but the accepted rule of thumb is one more than you!

Also, (and I know this sounds mean) but baby is better off being a bit cold than too hot. If he/she is too cold, you'll be informed, but if they get too warm it's a real SIDS risk, and they can just fade away. Not wearing a hat allows baby to regulate its temperature (unless it's utterly freezing of course!).

hmm And they do it when you're nearly, or completely, out of clean laundry. For good measure they ensure a lovely mustard dribble down the pale jumper you dared to wear yourself, and you'll be at a group of some kind where everyone else is perfectly dressed and coiffed.

Poonami, yes. Another term is of course Poomageddon.

JollySleepyGiant Sun 22-Sep-13 08:33:50

Mine usually manage to do it poonamis out of the legs of nappies, Horry

Um, I can't remember where I learned about layers. I was crap with DS1 - he was summerborn and I was so neurotic about overheating (SIDS risk) that he was probably cold a lot blush

It was probably in a book.

And Yy to taking vests off downwards after a poosplosion.

Note that (disposable) nappies are flat at the back with no elastic. When there's a major movement, that's where it goes.

JollySleepyGiant Sun 22-Sep-13 01:41:32

A tip about vests... Envelope necks are so you can remove the vest down the way if the vest is covered in something unsavoury.

I wish I had only bought sleeveless and long sleeved vests. Short sleeved ones just bug me as they don't sit right.

MildredH Sun 22-Sep-13 00:41:14

Just out of curiosity- without sounding utterly daft- where do you learn things like how many layers to put on a newborn?

Will we learn this at antenatal/nct? Or just from experience?

I realise I sound completely naive. DH & i are professional people in our 30's but more & more I realise I'm clueless about babies!

MildredH Sun 22-Sep-13 00:38:20

Thanks Xmas- another thing to add to the list. I just wouldn't have known!

Madratlady Sat 21-Sep-13 23:23:49

<happily buying baby clothes on eBay>

Xmasbaby11 Sat 21-Sep-13 22:15:48

Mildred, DD was born in winter and wore vest + sleepsuit constantly. She is now 20 mo and still wears a vest under any outfit apart from during the heatwave!

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Sat 21-Sep-13 16:34:17

Yes, find out what you and your husband weighed at birth, plus family babies if you can. It gives you a rough idea what to expect if you have a full term baby. Ours don't tend to come out lower than 8lbs this generation, so I didn't expect a wee one. DD1 was over 9lbs.

MousyMouse Sat 21-Sep-13 13:00:44

how big tend babies to be in your family?
if 3.5 kg (7.10 pounds) or bigger I would start with 0-3 month clothes. if smaller, newborn.

Picklesauage Sat 21-Sep-13 12:55:13

Next do some up to 1 month stuff. I found these the most useful size, not too big, not too small, just right grin

SaucyJack Sat 21-Sep-13 10:11:54

Deffo go for the trousers that come with feet such as Horry linked to above.

My older two were both in the 7lb range and would've drowned in 0 to 3 stuff btw.

McBaby Sat 21-Sep-13 07:52:02

8lb14 here new born never fitted and as she was long only in 0-3 months for a couple of weeks. Just get a few of small sizes there is always time to but more and they can wear bigger clothes!

Also don't underestimate how generous people are we got given more 0-3 month clothes than she could ever wear.

Ditsy79 Sat 21-Sep-13 03:36:18

My DD was 8lb 7oz when she was born, and was in newborn clothes for a couple of weeks at most. At 7 weeks, she has now nearly outgrown the 0-3 clothes. I completely agree about not getting outfits, babygros and vests are so much easier when changing nappies etc. The in-laws got us a few really cute 0-3 outfits, but when I tried to get DD in them yesterday they were too small.
I have managed with about 10 vests and 10 babygros in each size - suppose the number you get depends on how often you want to wash them.

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Fri 20-Sep-13 22:42:26

Mine went straight into 0-3, and one was only 8lbs. They aren't moving, it doesn't matter if the legs are a bit long and the sleeves folded over. And they grow so fast.

There are nice leggings with feet - warmer for winter and less faff than socks which are a PITA. This kind of thing.

Or, if you prefer socks, get Sock Ons as well. They are amazing.

Madratlady Fri 20-Sep-13 22:33:33

I've so far got a mixture of sleep suits and little tshirts, I'll get some soft trousers to go with them.

TripleRock Fri 20-Sep-13 16:35:00

DD was 6lb 12oz and was totally drowned in NB for the first few weeks. 0-3 would have been impossible. She probably could have done with some Tiny/Prem sized clothes, but we managed to get by with NB.

About 10/12 vests and sleepsuits is probably good to start with. I personally didn't overbuy in NB as I was convinced DD would be fairly big, so we had gone through most of the NB before I had even been discharged from hospital. DH had to go out on day 3 and buy pretty much same again, but it was all doable.

The vests thing ... Newborns probably need to wear as many layers as you do plus a vest. So if you're in a top and bottoms and a jumper, he's in vest and top and bottoms and jumper.

Walking counts as a layer, so if he's in the pram and you're walking then it would be vest and top and bottoms and jumper and blanket/coat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now