Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

What needs packing in the hospital bag?

(20 Posts)

You knot a couple of tennis balls into a sock, put it between your back and the wall, and sort of roll them up and down. DIY massage. Or get birthing partner to do it. Very hard massage but really useful counterpressure against labour pains.

PinkApple86 Fri 20-Sep-13 07:39:42

Tennis balls in a sock?

Yy to carrier bags for dirty things.

I found it helpful to have before/after bags. My labour bag was snacks, birthing clothes, tennis balls in a sock, etc, plus baby's first outfit; ward bag had all the pads, nappies, etc, pyjamas/d gown/slippers for me, vests and sleepsuits for him, book/ipod etc; then I had a "going home" bag with real clothes for me and a complete outfit for him.

The plan was that DH would swap bags at the appropriate times, eg bring going home bag in from the car with the carseat when he came to take us home.

It would have been perfect if he had bloody remembered to bring it (don't ask me why it wasn't still in the car hmm ) so I staggered out to the car in my pyjamas, his jumper, and my slippers. As did the other woman who was discharged that evening. We had a giggle about it though.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Thu 19-Sep-13 22:28:14

Thank goodness for this thread, I'm packing mine at the moment and just can't remember what I need.

The only thing I could remember from last time was loving lots of lucazade while in labour.

vaticancameo Thu 19-Sep-13 17:29:02

Flip flops for the shower. Dry shampoo.

Isisizzie Thu 19-Sep-13 17:27:43

Carrier bags to put dirty stuff in.

27mummmy2boys Thu 19-Sep-13 16:55:53

Flannel**

27mummmy2boys Thu 19-Sep-13 16:55:00

Vaseline is a must on my first child my lips cracked and bled so bad. I also found a flanned handy for a wash down if your not up to a shower afterwards xx

MiaowTheCat Thu 19-Sep-13 16:31:43

I put loose change as and when I had it into mine to avoid having to do last minute cash point detours and breaking into notes to pay for parking and vending machines in the dead of night when dh was starving.

PolyesterBride Thu 19-Sep-13 16:30:58

Lansinoh! And several pairs of pjs and dressing gown. Phone charger. Slippers. Flip flops for the shower.

juniper9 Thu 19-Sep-13 16:23:41

This is my list:

My bag
----
iPad and charger
Phone charger
Dressing gown
Hairbrush and bobbles
Makeup bag
TENS machine
Vest tops
Pyjamas x2 at least
Dslr
Magazines
Inhalers
Towels (check with hospital)
underwear
Disposable knickers
Maternity pads
Little pot of Vaseline for baby’s first poopy bottom
Flip flops
Slippers
Breast pads
Shower gel
Baby lotion
Toothbrush
Elasticated trousers
Headphones
Deodorant
Shampoo
Toothpaste
Ear plugs
squirty water bottle (for squirting whilst weeing)

For baby
-----
Baby wipes
Nappies
Vests x 7
Baby grows x7
Hats x3
Socks x6
Mittens
Sudocreme
Jacket for going home
Blanket
Car seat
car seat base

MacNCheese Thu 19-Sep-13 15:32:40

Don't forget the lansinoh nipple cream if your planning to BF!!

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Thu 19-Sep-13 15:29:05

Dressing gown, towel and slippers/flip flops. Disposable maternity knickers for during labour as well as afterwards. It's messier than you might imagine!

lockie1983 Thu 19-Sep-13 15:16:30

Excuse the terrible typos.

lockie1983 Thu 19-Sep-13 15:15:09

I think this is a really tough one. Pondered my bag for ages and baby came at 38 weeks (and bag wasn't finished as I thought I had plenty of time to get it right) - I was literally running around the house at 3 am saying I haven't packed my straighteners, do you think I need to bring my hair dryer? (I was in the delirious part of labour but didn't know it...baby was almost coming out lol)

I did multiple bags.

A small one for me for labour, things that would make me happy / keep me calm: hand cream, lip balm, hair bands. Plus a nightie to give birth in, cossie for the pool, clean nightie, big knickers and a few pads for immediately after.

A small baby bag, blanket, hat, couple of baby grows and nappies. Kept this in the car so my hubby went for it after baby was here - hospital put on first nappy and wrapped him up for a while.

A bigger bag with clothes for me, wash bag, hairbrush, more knickers, pads, make up etc. was a while before I had a shower as I spent a long time holding the baby, feeding etc. again, dh brought this in after birth.

A man bag for dh with iPod, magazines, some little toiletries and toothbrushes, clean t shirt, camera and change for parking. Plus emergency numbers.

Them a box of snacks in the car - mini cheddars, pretzels, wine gums, cartons of squash, dried fruit.

During labour we had my little handbag and dhs man bag and a big pack of apple juice cartons. The only thing I asked for during labour wash apple juice. Nothin else was touched.

Sounds like overkill I know, but I felt really prepared and all the stuff was in the car if I neede it. Got complemented on how light we traveled (good Job they didn't look in the boot lol)

Good luck !

duvetheaven Thu 19-Sep-13 14:00:19

nice food, nice food, nice food. Hospital food not so nice .

moanymandy Thu 19-Sep-13 13:28:14

I have packed with hindsight from ds and not got as much as last time.

towel for me
2× nighties
big pants
maternity pads
breast pads
dressing gown/cardi
shower gel
dry shampoo
toothbrush/paste
lip balm
moisturiser
face wash
(all miniature ones from asda)
shower puff
a fee nappies
wet wipes
2×outfits for baby
scratch mittens
warm coat/jacket for baby
blanket
comfy clothes to come home in
camera
snacks

sounds like a lot but honestly when ds was born I went a bit mad so only packed the essentials this time and will send dh home for supplies if I need to stay in longer than expected. But im hoping to be in and out! smile

PinkApple86 Thu 19-Sep-13 11:36:51

clothes to go home in, snacks and lucozades for labour, I put a book and puzzles incase I have to stay in, baby blanket, old top to give birth in (that I can chuck if necessary after) Also I have a small holdall for labour with one set of baby clothes and what I'll need in labour and immediately after to freshen up, then another bag with a bit more of everything incase I need to stay in longer which I'll leave in the car and only get if needed. I'm due today so I've had lots of time to ponder over it and prob packed way too much grin

What are you packing in yours?

So far I've put in pack of newborn nappies
Two packs of huge maternity pads
Breast pads
Toothpaste and tooth brush
Shampoo conditioner and shower gel
Pjs
Pants

No baby clothes yet, ,as I'm drying them ATM

They massive hold all is already stuffed
But what else do I need to pack other than bAby clothes ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now