Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pregnancy massage - if you had one, how?

(17 Posts)
fuckwittery Mon 16-Sep-13 20:50:03

I had one today which I thought was rubbish. Before I complain can you tell me if you've had one, and if so, what position were you in, and how did the therapist make you comfortable?
thanks!

ksksnod Mon 16-Sep-13 21:06:41

i had a rubbish one as well. lied on the side, no special bed with hole for bump. therapist so gentle that i felt she was almost just touchng me for the hour.

BigKicker Mon 16-Sep-13 21:07:16

I had one a few weeks ago and it was bliss. I was sat on pillows on the floor and sat back into a beanbag. She worked on one side at a time by letting me lie on my side against the beanbag with a pillow between my legs and she did her magic by starting at top of my neck and working all the way down to my feet. Once both sides were done I sat back into beanbag and had facial and scalp massage. Ahh would love another right about now!

ksksnod Mon 16-Sep-13 21:11:36

bigkicker may we know where dd u hv urs? does sound like bliss!

Discogeek Mon 16-Sep-13 21:17:01

I had a clarins mum to be massage a few weeks back and it was heaven. I was laid on a table but the therapist used cushions to prop my belly up, the treatment included a back massage as I lay on my side, a leg and foot massage with cooling gel, a tummy massage and a tummy mask then a facial. It was so lovely I immediately booked in for another & convinced my DP to pay for me wink
So, so worth it if you get a good therapist who understands how pregnancy can affect your body.

fuckwittery Mon 16-Sep-13 21:18:07

That does sound amazing bigkicker.

Mine was sat on the side edge of the treatment bed, so nothing to lean forward onto. Did have a stool for feet (no foot soak as advertised), I said I was a bit uncomfortable sitting bolt upright for massage and she gave me a pillow to lean on?! A pillow at 34 weeks pregnant did not cut it! I had back ache at the end of the massage and couldnt relax at all as I had to sit upright and hold my head up, (this is surely the definition of a first world problem, my massage was not relaxing enough smile)

I was massively disappointed as this was a famous spa and cost 55 quid so I cant believe the only equipment was a pillow!

Secretswitch Mon 16-Sep-13 21:20:29

I had a few during my pregnancies. They were fab. All done on a table with a cut out to accommodate my bump.

fuckwittery Mon 16-Sep-13 21:25:31

My chiropractor has one of those cut out cushion things and its bloody brilliant, I love flopping forwards on it (but her manipulations are not v relaxing!). I reeallllly want a massage on one of those cushions and thought there would definitely be some fancy bump equipment in this place!

UniS Mon 16-Sep-13 21:26:09

had 2 or 3 in late PG ( DS was 12 days late), BLISS. special table with removable bump shaped shole. So chilled out after the last one that I went home , lay down for a doze and water broke.

cookiemonster100 Mon 16-Sep-13 21:38:41

Hey!!
I had one a few weeks ago. She comes to your house & has a table with a hole for bump. She did a full body for £48 & she gave a good firm massage. 3/4 of hour the time you are on your front ( which is bliss!) and 1/4 hour on your back.
Based in Surrey so if anyone wants details PM me I def recommend her. smile

Mamabear12 Mon 16-Sep-13 21:46:51

Had one yesterday at the manderan oriental - pregnancy rose massage.mi have gotten a few pregnancy massages and by far, this is the best one. It is a bit pricey though 210. But worth it! U can use the relaxation room before, water pool (just don't turn on jets. The temp is warm - Luke warm). They give u teas, juices, cookies and fruits before and after ur massage. I had full body scrub before my massage (part of treatment) and then fully body massage, with special pillows so I can lie on my stomache. Basically, it's has holes in right sections - breasts and tummy. Super comfy.

My other pregnancy massages have been on the side, which were okay. I bought a course at amida spa bc I'm a member the connecting gym and it's five mins walk from me smile the price for that is 55 for pregnancy massage.

katemeister Mon 16-Sep-13 22:34:17

I had a lovely one recently, I lay on my side with a nice log body pillow wrapped in a towel to help me get comfy, then she did back, shoulder, leg, arms etc down one side then I turned over and she did the other. The bed was adjustable so I lay on my back sitting up a bit while she did front of shoulders, scalp and then a light massage of my bump (she asked if this was ok first).

BigKicker Mon 16-Sep-13 22:37:36

Mine was in the West of Ireland so I'm guessing a little far away for most on here! smile

louloubellamozzarella Mon 16-Sep-13 23:18:57

It's worth searching on the CTHA website (sorry can't link at the moment) - you're more likely to find a therapist who has has pregnancy massage training and does it a lot. Rubbish massages are annoying especially when you pay a lot for them hmm

I had a lovely one. First on one side then the other, with a wierdy bump cushion and a bolster for my top leg so my back was in a straight line. I had it at 38 weeks and it was utterly blissful, I still remember it over a year later!

FairyTrain Tue 17-Sep-13 13:02:40

Had one at the Spa just voted best in uk 2013 by Conde Nast, ( I normally love this spa) but HATED the pregnancy massage. It was awful. Couldn't relax sat upright on bed.
Now pg again, I only have facials as it was so bad! Although still the best place on earth for non pg massage.

I had one just last week, in Devon - lady came to our holiday cottage. She did a great job, I was on my side with a pillow for bump, and one between knees, did my whole back, focussed on my hips (which have been sore from sleeping on sides), and arms, nothing on my front. It was £38 - google 'pregnancy massage devon' (I think that was the website, certainly something similar). It was relaxing, and she had three smells to pick from, all pg safe, and she was v in tune with what was enough pressure/what was too much - I think it helps that she was a physio for the NHS as well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now