Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vaginal scan

(24 Posts)
Mrsstandard Mon 16-Sep-13 20:28:49

I am going for a vaginal scan and want to know what it involves. Does it hurt? How far in does it go? And most importantly so I will ask again, will it hurt? Thanks just very nervous.

pudseypie Mon 16-Sep-13 20:34:31

Doesn't hurt just a bit uncomfortable. They will put plenty of jelly on it and you just have to relax as much as you can. I had one after birth and it was on par with a smear test

Tiredmumno1 Mon 16-Sep-13 20:34:53

No it doesn't hurt, it's like a longish plastic stick? Sorry couldn't think of how to describe it. It is not inserted very far. It seriously does not hurt, it is very slim, and they use the jelly so it just slides in, just try staying relaxed, you'll be fine, it'll be over before you know it.

A smear test is a hundred times worse just so you know, it really isn't that bad. smile

BearPear Mon 16-Sep-13 20:37:10

I'd rather have the scan than a smear - it was fine & not painful at all, not even that uncomfortable to be honest either. Good luck

peppapigmustdie Mon 16-Sep-13 20:37:40

As has already been said it is a thin wand type instrument, uncomfortable but not painful.

FatPenguin Mon 16-Sep-13 20:39:20

It's fine, not painful just uncomfortable. And a bit cold at first shock it shouldn't hurt, if it does tell them straight away. The sonographer will talk you through what their doing. I personally found a smear test a more uncomfortable experience.
Hope all goes ok for you.thanks

It doesn't hurt any more than an external scan where they press down hard to try and get a good picture. Sort of uncomfy pressure rather than hurt/pain.

They use a long thin wand covered in a condom and plenty of lube, they pop it in and then wiggle it about until they get the image they want.

It is fine.

ChunkyPickle Mon 16-Sep-13 20:41:21

I didn't even find it uncomfortable - and I'm very sensitive with vaginal examinations normally.

Smears are worse, an external scan when they push hard is worse, a vaginal examination is way worse.

The wand was able the size of a book light when they did mine - with a condom on and lubed up, no hassle or discomfort at all.

defineme Mon 16-Sep-13 20:44:35

I had loads as I was part of a study. Doesn't hurt in the slightest. Smears, on the other hand, do hurt me and usually make me bleed.

Mrsstandard Mon 16-Sep-13 20:45:00

Thanks all very reassuring smile

PrincessFlirtyPants Mon 16-Sep-13 20:47:04

Oh no, I wouldn't describe it as painful!

Uncomfortable? Yes. A bit embarrassing? Yes.

vaticancameo Mon 16-Sep-13 20:49:36

Ah, good old dildocam grin

No, doesn't hurt at all. It only goes in the lower bit of your vagina, nowhere near your cervix. They don't need to use a speculum - for that reason alone I found them much easier than a smear!

You'll be fine.

Tiredmumno1 Mon 16-Sep-13 20:54:41

They also try to be very tactful, if it is a male doing the scan then he will usually turn away whilst you get undressed, and you will be covered, saves embarrassment from both sides, he may need a quick glance under the cover, but I am sure they've seen it all before and are experienced in doing it, hopefully your mind is put at ease.

You'll be fine smile

bonzo77 Mon 16-Sep-13 20:58:24

Far easier than a smear. Doesn't go that far up. I thing the wand is about 1 inch diameter, maybe less. I know a smear is worse if you haven't pooed that day, not sure about a dildo cam.

Mrsstandard Mon 16-Sep-13 20:58:43

Dildo lol? I would say it is a bit different

curlew Mon 16-Sep-13 21:01:32

You can also ask why they think it's necessary and refuse if you want to. Not saying you should, but make sure there's a good reason.

princesscupcakemummyb Mon 16-Sep-13 22:09:13

have to say Uncomfortable i agree with :/ And embarrassing yes deffo but try not to think about it to much all will be okay

MummyJetsetter Mon 16-Sep-13 22:13:30

I had one and you can barely feel it, it's very thin and they don't put it far in. It's better for seeing very early on in pregnancy. Don't even worry about it honestly it's nothing. x

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 16-Sep-13 22:22:14

Dildo cam round here too! If you can manage a willy up there you will be fine! wink grin

Mrsstandard Mon 16-Sep-13 22:26:01

Haha thanks xx

Willdoitinaminute Mon 16-Sep-13 22:28:13

Not painful and it is done when your bladder is empty so is much more comfortable than abdominal with extra full bladder.

Mrsstandard Mon 16-Sep-13 22:32:31

Your comments are all really reassuring, not as worried now especially saggyoldclothcatpuss!

eurochick Mon 16-Sep-13 22:35:50

It is known as the dildocam in fertility circles. I must have had 20+ by now.

They are really fine. The wand is quite thin. It's covered in a sheath (it's slightly odd when they put it on as it is a condom!) and then lubed up so it is not uncomfortable.

I actually find it quite interesting to have them as they give a very clear view of what is going on in there.

MummyJetsetter Tue 17-Sep-13 09:57:56

Was trying not to be crude and say it's much smaller than a willy but apparently it's fine to say that on here! Love freedom of speech! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now