Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Partner off to USA - what do I put on the shopping list?

(34 Posts)
Charingcrossbun Fri 13-Sep-13 21:02:34

15 weeks preggo. DP is off to Washington on business and says his hotel is in retail park what Target and such big shops.

Is there anything I need/will need that is good to get in the US?

GreatJoanUmber Sat 14-Sep-13 20:53:23

Justshabby - for me, "too American" is all that sports related stuff. References to baseball and what you guys think is football wink. Sometimes they have patriotic stuff too; but for me it's mostly the sport stuff. I just don't quite get it - does every little boy have to be into baseball?
I haven't noticed anything like that for girls; but then, having no daughters, I don't look at the girl clothes much!

MummyJetsetter Sat 14-Sep-13 18:31:51

Reeses peanut butter cups amazing but you can get here. Tootsie rolls yummy! Carters is such a lovely clothes shop and really different to all the usual uk stuff. x

What does "bit too American" mean? I'm American, and have heard this before so am curious what it means. Like, patriotic-themed stuff?

GreatJoanUmber Sat 14-Sep-13 15:37:53

Gymboree baby clothes. Love them - quality is good, designs are cute (though some of them can be a bit too American), almost like mini Boden stuff. Yet it's about half the price of Boden AND they've almost always got a sale going on!

Yes, Aveeno stuff!!

Stevie77 Sat 14-Sep-13 08:13:29

Also Aveeno stuff, that is great for babies, is cheaper and sold in Target.

It may be easier for you to order stuff inline and have it delivered to his hotel, just watch out for weight restrictions.

EstelleGetty Sat 14-Sep-13 08:05:45

Burt's Bees stuff is much cheaper over there and it's lovely. Lovely mother and baby stuff too! You can get it in CVS pharmacy.

Oh, and Butterfinger bars, Oh Henry bars, anything else combining chocolate and peanut butter!

Check out baby clothes at Old Navy as well as clothes for yourself!

Ooh sorry, posted too soon!

Just noticed all the love for Carter's! Lovely stuff, indeed.

All baby toiletries should be a lot cheaper over there, too.

Bath and Body Works have some lovely lotions and potions stuff if you like that kind of stuff.

So does Victoria's Secret. Their Pear Glace stuff is really nice and they have really soft pajamas.

I second Old Navy...company is owned by Gap but half the price. Have a browse on the website and make a list.

Try and get DP to find Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask in Target and Walmart. It's a face mask stuff that literally sucks out blackheads and tightens pores, and costs about £2.

Carter's baby clothes are on par with Next in quality and really cute stuff.

The baby equivalent to Infacol over there, called Mylocal or something? Was about 10x more effective at moving my DS' wind.

WorriedMouse Sat 14-Sep-13 07:20:22

Have a look on Carters - love their stuff. I recently did an order but you have to buy loads to bring the delivery price down - I managed to convince myself that by buying more I was saving money!! Stuff is so cheap and different to UK clothes.

BlackMogul Sat 14-Sep-13 00:39:05

In Washington it is lovely to shop in Georgetown. Lots of lovely things for a mummy to be and a baby. Ralph Lauren at way cheaper than here. J crew ditto. Baby Gap etc. We also liked the stationery stores for lovely baby announcement cards. Also a great choice in restaurants. Pretty area too.

lagoonhaze Sat 14-Sep-13 00:30:02

ergo didnt last my DD much past 18mths and she's a titch.Kinderpacks much comforter. Or a manduca.

marzipanned Sat 14-Sep-13 00:25:12

Why is kinderpack much better? Hadn't heard of it but just looking at website it looks like you need a different size for each age, whereas ergo does newborn to toddler.. It doesn't look quite as sturdy as ergo somehow, not as suitable for long hikes anyway...

carters are shipping to the UK now, I checked recently wink

seconding maternity clothes, I found a much wider selection when iver there this summer, and it was a lot more fashionable. if you plan on getting an uppababy pram (I might have fallen for the mumsnet hype blush) the accessories there will be more widely available and cheaper.

lagoonhaze Sat 14-Sep-13 00:01:53

kinderpack much better than a ergo and resell is fab

Lighthousekeeping Fri 13-Sep-13 23:59:48

You can get reese buttercups anywhere though. Is it really worth it?

BikeRunSki Fri 13-Sep-13 23:58:38

Carter's sell really cool.baby clothes but don't ship to.the uk.

RedRobin1 Fri 13-Sep-13 23:53:15

Changing mats - fold away ones - they have a really good selection in US and second reese buttercups

Excited2meetmyprincess Fri 13-Sep-13 23:53:09

See if there is a motherhood store nearby! I got loads of maternity stuff when we were over there and so much cheaper!! X

LostMySocks Fri 13-Sep-13 23:44:20

Old navy maternity jeans. Just like gap but less than half the price.

Fairylea Fri 13-Sep-13 23:29:21

You can't not love a Twinkie.

So bad but so nice!

marzipanned Fri 13-Sep-13 22:20:32

Ewwwwwww twinkies are the devil! I'm sorry, but they really are.

Have you seen that documentary by a kid in Brooklyn about his school lunches? He leaves food in tupperware containers to see when it rots. The twinkies NEVER rot.

charingcrossbun they are vile sponge cakes with vile 'buttercream' inside.

At my school in the US lunch was $2.00 and twinkies were 25c. So a lot of the obese kids just bought 8 twinkies/other hostess shit instead of the meal. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Taffy, grits and root beer I'll grant you.

Buchanon that's good to know!

AntsMarching Fri 13-Sep-13 22:11:38

Tell him to go to Buy, Buy Baby. It's an amazing baby superstore. DH and I found it when dd1 was 3 months old. We found things we didn't even know we needed. Thank goodness there was a weight limit on our luggage back to the UK else we might have had to remortgage the house smile

FluffyDucky Fri 13-Sep-13 22:06:22

I bought some Bodycology bath stuff in 2009 (brown sugar and vanilla 'flavour') It was amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now