Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Talk to me about your cesarean....

(39 Posts)
StillPukin Mon 09-Sep-13 19:35:35

I'm pregnant with my 2nd child - 14 yrs after my first and I've just found out that I might need a cesarean due to low lieing placenta. I know theres time for it to move but its not something I had even thought about and to be honest it terrifies me.
How was yours? Would I HAVE to be awake? How much could you feel? How long did it take to recover? Did you have stitches or staples - how/when were they removed? What do you wish you knew then that you know now?
Sorry for the question-overload sad

tinkerbell666 Tue 10-Sep-13 12:17:23

I had 4 'normal' births and one section due to placenta previa, and i must say the section was bloody awful ! the spinal numbed up to my neck ! I felt awful afterwards, really drugged and yuck, then started throwing up. I was on my feet using the loo 6 hours after, and could walk, pick up baby etc, but would never ever choose to go through that again sad

noblegiraffe Tue 10-Sep-13 09:54:42

I had a really weird sensation with the epidural that it felt like my legs were actually bent at the knee (I guess a phantom sensation from when the needle went in?) but they were actually lying flat on the trolley. It was so bizarre, like I was looking at someone else's legs. It went away when the epidural wore off, thankfully!

Meglet England Tue 10-Sep-13 07:29:15

stillpukin I've just remembered that after both cs's (both around 10am) I experienced sickness + trembling around 3pm in the afternoon. That bit really was grim, it lasted around 20 mins or so. IIRC it was a combination of the epidural + aneasthetic wearing off and the painkillers kicking it. I also reacted badly to intravenous morphine and had to stick to the tablets. But it might just be I'm a lightweight grin.

Felt more human by tea time and had toast and tea.

CrispyFB Mon 09-Sep-13 23:51:43

mrsvilliers - ouch! (or rather not ouch, I guess!) Mine have always cleared up just fine after it wears off.. I've not had them numb for longer than they're supposed to be. How horrible, I think I would go completely batty!

It is indeed like a dead arm after you've been sleeping on it. If only I could sit up and have a good old curious prod of my dead leg I would (back in recovery obviously, not during the operation!!) but circumstances of nasty incision and baby on you tend to prevent that. The pins and needles when the feeling comes back are quite nice though, or perhaps I'm a bit weird!

Never minded the catheter, although make sure they don't let it get full up because that does hurt. This has happened twice on separate occasions to me, and each time they've told me "oh, it's the incision, have some more morphine.." (oh, okay then..) despite me saying "NO, IT'S ME BLADDER" and it takes them some convincing to check the bag. They look sheepish then. And I got extra morphine.

10oclocknews Mon 09-Sep-13 22:51:13

I've had 2 sections. First emergency and second elective. .... both were fine. ... elective was much better. ...I was more nervous about the spinal block when I had my elective but it was fine can't remember any pain. .. It was a little uncomfortable but didn't hurt. .... during the section you can feel the sensation of pulling and pushing but not any pain. .... I'd liken it to when you get a dead arm and you can feel sensation but not touch iyswim....... recovery is a little slower with a section but a good excuse to rest and enjoy newborn cuddles whilst everyone else looks after you. The first few days are the hardest with a section but keep on top of the pain relief and light mobility and you'll soon be feeling great again. ..... hopefully your placenta will move but if it doesn't a section can still be very positive. .... you can be a little more organised and you will at least know your baby's birth date. ... and you won't go overdue x x

Excited2meetmyprincess Mon 09-Sep-13 22:44:08

Thanx still got a while to go yet as I'm 30 weeks in a couple of days but can't wait to have her here just nervous about the section xx

mrsvilliers Mon 09-Sep-13 22:33:21

CrispyFB I had the numb legs! In fact I had two epidurals so ended up with a dead leg for two weeks after.

OP the only thing I would say is to ask for a pin test if you are not 100% sure that you are numb. They spray you with a very cold water spray and you have to say if you can feel it. If you are not sure ask for them to do a pin prick test. I wasn't sure and ended up feeling more 'tugging' than I would have liked!

Oh I did decline with my third.

I wasn't offered one with my first at all and had no problems

I had one with my second and it stopped me being able to go home as early as I could have because I couldn't pass urine after it was taken out and had to be re inserted etc bloody nightmare thing after such an easy experience.

Baby number 3 and I said no, told them I would make sure to fill and empty my bladder and all went fine.

That was 6 years ago though.

Andanotherthing123 Mon 09-Sep-13 22:17:42

Just on the catheter, you'll have to have one for the reason noble mentions but having had them done for two CS and twice (without anaesthetic) for another hospital stay, they really don't hurt at all. I was so surprised that even sans anaesthetic, there was no pain at all!

noblegiraffe Mon 09-Sep-13 22:11:39

I wouldn't have thought you could decline a catheter as you are numb from the waist down so would have no control over your bladder and probably just wee everywhere. Plus you wouldn't be able to get out of bed to have a wee anyway!

CrispyFB Mon 09-Sep-13 22:04:50

I've had two - EMCS (although it was about as un-emergency as you could get) and ELCS. Both were absolutely fine.

I'm a big fan of natural birth and had a natural birth with DC1, but was honestly left with no medical choice after that due to cervix issues.. even me, the big fan of "natural birth whatever" knew it was a no-go.

You feel really oddly detached from what they're doing down there, and anything you do feel is not pain, just "something". It's not freaky at all.

The only bit I didn't like is when I try and move my legs and they don't move, and then of course I try again and end up in a vicious spiral of "argh, legs!" but if you tell someone they can distract you easily enough! Baby is a pretty good distraction and as mentioned shows up very early in the proceedings! And the numb legs thing applies to epidurals during a vaginal birth anyhow. And also seemingly I'm the only person who has this issue with numb legs anyhow as nobody else ever reports it..

It's all so relaxed and chilled and everyone is always super friendly and cheerful. Most of the time you can get skin to skin afterwards too, especially if you put your gown on the wrong way.

The recovery is not great obviously, but often vaginal births can be horrendous to recover from as well. And you get better drugs with a c-section.

This one has to be ELCS again.. kind of looking forward to it!

Blurry29 Mon 09-Sep-13 22:04:39

Can you decline a catheter??

I had a CS in 2006 with my son for various reasons. I am pregnant again now smile and will be having another CS after Xmas, do I have to have a catheter? Can I "opt" out of it? X

HumphreyCobbler Mon 09-Sep-13 21:06:52

there is a lot to be said for morphine, frankly grin

Thanks for your good wishes, best of luck StillPukin

StillPukin Mon 09-Sep-13 21:02:28

Hope it goes well for you Exited2meetmyprincess and that you arent too worried about it (ha, says me!). Make sure you update us on here how it goes flowers.

ohmeohmy I'm glad the staff think to distract you!

weebarra Mon 09-Sep-13 21:01:08

I've had 3 EMCS, the most recent 3 weeks ago (was schedulwd for an ELCS but DD decided to come early).
Didn't really feel any pulling or pushing with either DD or DS1, did with DS2. Worst bit was definitely getting the spinal but the theatre staff were just lovely and talked me through everything.
Spent a couple of hours in recovery then up to post-natal, catheter in overnight, got in the way a bit when showering, but not too bad!
Had stitches, removed painlessly by mw when home.
Scar a wee bit sore if I do too much (lifting the 3 yr old today was a bad idea) but ok doing school run etc.

AFishWithoutABicycle Mon 09-Sep-13 20:58:03

I too had a really good experience. I was completely pain free. My patrner was really good at taking my mind off what was happening by talking to me about stuff, can't remember what probably baby names. It's not what I would have wanted but it was totally fine. Also the baby doesnt get all squishy headed.

ohmeohmyforgotlogin Mon 09-Sep-13 20:55:51

I desperately didn't want a section but needed one and actually didn't find it that bad at all. Staff are very reassuring and distracting and it is over fairly quickly. You have your baby when they are sewing you p so have something lovely to think about. I was surprised about the catheter as no one had mentioned it. Take any painkillers offered. I found full recovery difficult and had VBAC second time round.

Excited2meetmyprincess Mon 09-Sep-13 20:53:48

I am so glad you posted this. I am having a section due to health issues and you have asked all the questions I have been thinking about! I am so nervous about what I will be able to feel so totally understand were you are coming from but after reading this it doesn't seem as bad as I am expecting. Xx

Teabird Mon 09-Sep-13 20:52:53

I had an emcs due to dropping heart rate of dd and can honestly say I didn't feel a thing, a combination of epidural and spinal block. I was awake the whole time and saw her immediately. My dh took her and dressed her and also had to do the first dirty nappy! !! I had lovely skin to skin and breastfeed her quite easily. The main thing is to take your painkillers regularly snd remember not to do too much too quickly. Just cuddle on the sofa and let people look after you x good luck x

StillPukin Mon 09-Sep-13 20:49:03

I'm stunned at all your positivity! You're all bloody amazing!

Good luck HumphreyCobbler I hope your next experience is a good as the last one smile x

HumphreyCobbler Mon 09-Sep-13 20:44:18

I was so fed up with constantly getting up for a wee every two seconds that I didn't want them to take the catheter out

I was nervous before my planned section but I remember it really happily as a lovely experience.

I am doing it again in four weeks and can't wait.

Jojo3973 Mon 09-Sep-13 20:43:30

Also, I made the mistake of only taking pyjamas to wear after, not good with a catheter, I had to sleep in just my pyjama top the first night. Not great!!

Meglet England Mon 09-Sep-13 20:42:55

Yes, catheter for up to 24hrs afterwards (I've known other mums have them in for only a few hours). I bloody loved not having to get up to wee after weeing constantly in pregnancy.

Jojo3973 Mon 09-Sep-13 20:41:37

Hi, I have had 2 sections, both were fine. You will have a catheter but you won't notice them putting it in as they do it when you're numb and the cover thing is up. First I knew of it really was when the nurse took it out in the morning. Not the nicest thing but really not as bad as I expected.

Meglet England Mon 09-Sep-13 20:40:31

In both my EMCS and ELCS the theatre staff were lovely. They answered all my questions about what would happen next / what that tube was / what that machine was for etc etc. They lowered the screen in my EMCS and let me see the placenta after my ELCS. Even though the staff in that room must have had hundreds of c-sections behind them they didn't make me feel like I was on a production line and there were many 'aaaaaws' when each baby was whipped out smile.

What I wish I knew then that I know now is to stay in your pj's and do not move from the sofa for a couple of weeks. No visitors either. It's a time for takeaway pizza, ready meals, box sets and sleb magazines.

Recovery was hard after my EMCS as I didn't rest. But I rested for at least 2 weeks after my ELCS, and didn't bother really doing much until after 6 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now