Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

feeling sick when eating fruit & veg - I just want junk!

(12 Posts)
Emilycee Mon 02-Sep-13 22:06:12

Im the same! I was already curvier than I should be and following weight watchers - Ive always eaten lots of fruit/veg/salads but they make my stomach turn at the moment and at 9 weeks I know I should not be as big as I have gotten but the only things that dont make me feel sick are salty stodge and chocolate. Even water is making me feel sick - squash and fizzy drinks are more bearable argh!! My mum gives me her 'pinched lipped face' when I told her this - should have kept my gob shut!!

mlbear Mon 02-Sep-13 20:39:51

phew I'm not alone smile I'm taking pregnacare tablets to undo the bad vitamin A & Iron I was taking before finding out. My fav foods at the minute are crisps, choc biscuits, pizza & cheese on toast, really did not expect these cravings at 8wks!

fatfingers Mon 02-Sep-13 20:13:06

I am the same. All I wanted to eat for the first 15 weeks was Pot Noodles, crisps and pasties. I rarely eat a Pot Noodle or pasty usually! I'm 17 weeks now and can stomach a more normal diet.

christinarossetti Mon 02-Sep-13 20:12:48

There is an evolutionary explanation for this, though I can't remember where I heard it.

Highly processed food is pretty much never going to give you food poisoning or be off, which are much more likely from fresh food. Salt preserves food.

Ergo, your body craves crap and salt to protect your more vulnerable immune system.

Crack open the Pot Noodles one and all.

EeyoreIsh Mon 02-Sep-13 20:09:59

I've been the same this pregnancy. At 18 weeks I can now manage some fruit and veg from time to time. I took multi vitamins and ate whatever I could stomach.

heidihole Mon 02-Sep-13 20:06:07

yes i was exactly the same both times. currenty 17 weeks with number 2 and can eat salad again. But i'd say the first 14 weeks i couldnt look a lettuce leaf in the face. youre not alone. just roll with it.

TallulahBetty Mon 02-Sep-13 20:03:24

I was sick every day from 10 weeks to 39 weeks when I had DD. I survived on lemonade and salt and vinegar crisps/snack a jacks. I barely ate anything else. Somehow, DD was v healthy grin

dimdommilpot Mon 02-Sep-13 19:58:28

I am exactly the same. 8+4 today. With DD i constantly ate fruit and veg throughout and this is generally my diet. This time i am finding myself starving and craving salt. All i want is salted crisps and take outs (which we never have) any will do. McDonalds, curry, pizza, chinese. As yet ive not caved with the take out but i cant stop eating crisps and the usual fruit and veg i snack on just doesnt do it sad

Dancealot Mon 02-Sep-13 19:56:50

Take a multi-vitamin and eat the junk! All I could eat for months was crisps and plain jacket potatoes.

cathpip Mon 02-Sep-13 19:56:12

Fruit and veg make me feel very sick, even the sight of them. Cheesy toast/crisps/jacket spuds I can not get enough of at the moment but I was exactly the same in my other pregnancies. As soon as the morning sickness subsided I was able to eat more healthily!

BikeRunSki Mon 02-Sep-13 19:55:57

I had hyperemisis in both pg, and all I could manage was cheese and onion crisps. I an normally very healthy and veggie eater, but pg just makes me want chresey, salty junk.

mlbear Mon 02-Sep-13 19:52:25

I've always had a good diet eating plenty of fruit & veg.
Today was my first day back at work after finding out about my pregnancy & given the sickness I was feeling last week, thought I best stock up on fruit supplies to keep me going throughout the day.

But as soon as I smell the fruit&veg I am gagging, as soon as its in my mouth I can't swallow it!

I was thinking about my delicious healthy pregnancy boosting veg filled tea all day today, however as soon as it was made all I could think about was the pringles! I forced down half of it with a glass of water, gave up & hit the last of the pringles...

Is this a phase? will I snap out of it? How do you cope with your feelings of sickness & your cravings for junk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now