Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Tell me all the shitty things about late pregnancy

(20 Posts)
MisselthwaiteManor Mon 02-Sep-13 17:30:14

I had my DD a month early (we are both okay, I shouldn't complain) but I'm missing my pregnancy. I'm gutted I missed the last few weeks and I can't seem to get past it.

Tell me how horrible and unbearable the last month of your pregnancy was? or I'm going to go and get pregnant again

Rollermum Mon 02-Sep-13 17:38:07

Aw, congratulations!

Just more enormousness, walking slower than the rest of humanity, wondering constantly when it will happen, idly pondering that you might be pregnant forever, everyone asking if you've had it yet, not being able to wear any normal shoes or even most of your maternity clothes, hip pain. Tiredness. Umm think that's it for me. Wishing I had a baby instead! :-)

TheWookiesWife Mon 02-Sep-13 17:39:49

Gosh - it's a while ago - but I remember feeling the size of a barn ! And had a sore back, was totally fed up with people saying ' haven't you had it yet ' - I thought every twinge was 'it' ( it wasn't !) I kept wandering round M&S as someone told me if your waters broke in their store they'd give you loads of freebies !! I ended up eating loads of ice cream and driving through a park with loads of speed bumps to try and coax my baby out !! Then, the day she was due - my husband had to work - overseas - so I was then desperate to keep my legs closed until he got home again !! Talk about stressfull !! ( I did manage it though - phew !)
So enjoy your little one.... Just remember - the longer they are in there - the bigger they get ! Ouch !!!

Yonididnaedaethat Mon 02-Sep-13 17:47:22

Piles, heartburn, can't walk can only waddle.......the list goes on!

Enjoy your baby smile

MisselthwaiteManor Mon 02-Sep-13 17:49:38

DD was nearly 8lb shock so I dread to think how big she would have been at full term!

Haha I heard about the freebies thing too, was tempted to fake labour in all the big stores to see what I could get grin

PoppettyPing Mon 02-Sep-13 17:49:49

"OOOOOoooh look at you, you're ripe! You look like you're about to pop!"
"Have you tried curry? Or pineapple? Or curry? Or pineapple?"
"Lots of sex! Have lots of sex! Have sexy sex sex! That'll get baby out!"
"Ooh has it dropped yet?"
"Why on EARTH would you give birth at home/hospital/without drugs/with drugs????"

...repeat ad nauseum.

congratulations btw!

Queazy Mon 02-Sep-13 17:50:45

Are you kidding?! I'm 9 days overdue, no sleep, back and pelvic pain, and booked in for the induction I'd always dreaded. I'd take a (safe) early birth and a baby any day.

FaintlyMacabre Mon 02-Sep-13 17:52:47

Congratulations! Glad to hear you're both doing well.
My DC3 is 13 weeks old now and the memory of the misery of late pregnancy is beginning to fade now (though it mustn't fade completely or I might end up with a 4th.)
I spent the last month in agony with rib pain and sinusitus, constantly coughing and unable to do more than waddle due to SPD. And of course not allowed any good drugs. grin

The easy labour and delivery that I was lucky enough to have did not make up for the preceding 4 weeks! Though of course DD is more than worth it. I have spent most of her life so far saying 'I am never doing that again'.

Is that the sort of thing you meant?

MisselthwaiteManor Mon 02-Sep-13 17:59:21

Yeah I know I should be grateful, sorry for moaning. I got pre eclampsia out of the blue and had a CS the same day so I feel like pregnancy was snatched from me and I want it back! Silly isn't it.

It doesn't sound like much fun, sorry for all the rubbish you've all been/are going through flowers

MrsWildermac Mon 02-Sep-13 18:11:01

Being huge, constipated, HOT, feeling horrendous, not managing to even make it upstairs easily, not being able to turn over in bed, no sleep, swelling - the list goes on...I loved pregnancy, but HATED the last 6 weeks and went 10 days overdue...

Cloudhoney Mon 02-Sep-13 18:13:33

There is no longer room inside you for both a bladder and a baby. I loved being pregnant except for the last month.

FaintlyMacabre Mon 02-Sep-13 18:17:27

You're not moaning at all! I totally get what you mean about missing being pregnant and feeling cheated out of it. It must have been a real shock to be told you've got a potentially serious complication then going straight to delivery. There's no time to adjust your expectations.

I did a lot of moaning about my aches and pains but really I knew I was lucky to be essentially healthy and going to term. When I said the easy labour didn't make up for the previous weeks I meant that I'd swap them for a 2 day marathon back to back labour (I'm looking at you, DS1), not that I wanted my baby to be early. Hope that makes sense.

TooTryHard Mon 02-Sep-13 19:23:38

I was so tired by late pregnancy that I couldn't cope with early labour. I just wanted to sleep. I also think that because I went into motherhood exhausted it made the early days harder than it could have been.

That's with dd being born at 38 weeks!

Kitkatinatin Mon 02-Sep-13 20:13:19

i can do noisy farts now... which pretty much sums up how i feel too...

hip ache, endless questions, fake contractions, too many people putting their hands in my foof, induction looming, piles, stuck in house, needing a 'caution this truck is moving' beeper each time I try and move in bed, not believing in any of the things that are supposed to make labour happen, but starting to wonder if I should do them anyway.

Mouserama Wed 04-Sep-13 21:07:03

I loved late pregnancy (I loved all my pregnancy). I only got uncomfortable when I hit 39 weeks, but I only had to slow down a bit and I was fine. Still up ladders and painting ceilings at 38 weeks. My DD is 12 weeks old now, and it seems a lifetime ago that I had a bump...sigh wants to do it all again immediately

Methe Wed 04-Sep-13 21:13:40

No idea about late pregnancy but ill tell you something good about having a prem.

While all your friends are complaining of their babies growing up too fast you'll have a scrummy newborn for that bit longer. Enjoy it!

It is hard, I know, I have a 32&27 weeker here. Seriously though. Tiny babies are lush! Don't not enjoy it as you're dwelling on what should have been as you'll regret it.

Xmasbaby11 Wed 04-Sep-13 21:13:46

DD was born at 42 weeks. She was 9 15.

I was HUGE. It was no fun. I couldn't sleep after about 35 weeks and was exhausted by then. I'm sure my labour was so long and slow because I was so tired by that point.

I enjoyed my pregnancy up until about 8 months but after that found it very limiting.

Feel any better yet???

Queazy Wed 04-Sep-13 22:06:30

Another one is that from 38 weeks, everyone calls/emails/texts you to ask where baby is...every day. This wears thin by 42 weeks, when you're so big that everything aches and far from feeling all giddy and excited, you actually just want your baby out of you. All hugely well meaning but makes the 4 weeks the very longest of your life...!

Mummytomilo27 Wed 04-Sep-13 23:33:00

Im due today and so far.....

Heartburn, nausea, waddling, backache, period cramps (BH), shooting pains in cervix, diarreah, watery discharge.

And also feeling huge, annoyed as EVERYONE seems to say "are u still pregnant", feel like every little twinge could be something (but never is)

Just plain fed up lol -_-

PurplePoppySeed Thu 05-Sep-13 08:51:56

I'm due next week. Bump is still fairly small for gestation but apparently baby is big with very little fluid and mostly inside me instead of popping out! So with that I'm getting horrendous back pain, PGP gone mad, waddle central, feels like zero lung capacity left, constant nausea & heartburn, as already said, no room for my bladder but also no room for bowels, so I'm waking in agony every day until I can force a movement which is also agony until passed. Haven't even got to the involuntary burping & farting!

All of that coming hand in hand with being told I don't look "that" pregnant, "it'll be ages if you're still this small" and "aren't you lucky it's small, it's so much easier" - obviously I don't know the difference, but I'm guessing its much the same as being big. I'm dreaming of dropping/popping out but don't think it'll happen now, but I'd def be happy to have an early baby based on what I know of my friends experiences, I certainly wouldn't feel cheated.

Hope you and baby are doing well, enjoy your extra time together flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now