Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

how dangerous is sleeping on your back?

(18 Posts)
ZeroTolerance Tue 03-Sep-13 00:08:48

Honestly, don't worry about it. Do you really think you can control how you sleep ALL night long? Sleep in whatever way is comfortable. It really won't make any difference.

harverina Mon 02-Sep-13 23:54:11

No idea if it is dangerous, but I frequently waken on my back and I am 31 weeks. I start on my side but waken frequently to change sides as my hips and pubic bone get so sore and numb.

I tell dh to waken me if he notices I am on my back as it makes me very breathless hmm

I am DESPERATE to sleep on my tummy!!!

sweetiepie1979 Mon 02-Sep-13 23:45:51

I'm 35 weeks I try to sleep in my side but I always roll on to my back it's more comfortable and I never feel breathless.

DaleyBump Mon 02-Sep-13 23:40:38

I have a funny feeling that trills was being sarcastic grin

Newmum0113 Mon 02-Sep-13 23:36:00

Seriously trills what a stupid comment.

There is no problem with sleeping on your back, unless it causes you pain or discomfort, or the baby traps a nerve or blood vessel. This won't always happen every time you lie on your back. Even if you are asleep, your body will move into a more comfortable position if necessary.

You will not wake up dead.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Mon 02-Sep-13 21:29:53

I'm 25 weeks with no3 and love sleeping on my back but do start to feel a bit breathless after a bit however I've slept on my back with the last two and no problems there! Is helps if you prop yourself up on pillows so you don't get so breathless.

Trills Mon 02-Sep-13 21:26:34

Extremely dangerous. If you go to sleep on your back you'll wake up dead.

The research evidence is limited and inconclusive, there's a summary here.

A five foot long bolster pillow can be really helpful in keeping you on your side and keeping you comfortable.

Fakebook Mon 02-Sep-13 21:24:43

I'm the same OP. I have SPD and regularly wake up during the night on my back (my natural sleeping position). I think your body will let you know when you've been on your back too long. I get out of breath and my heart starts feeling heavy.

Chances are that when you wake up on your back, you haven't really been in that position very long at all, so I wouldn't worry.

CitrusyOne Mon 02-Sep-13 21:18:58

I obsessively tried to sleep on my side. The long thin pillows can help make you more comfortable- not expensive, from Argos. I wasn't sure of what would happen if I slept on my back though. Until I had to go into hospital for monitoring. 15 mins lying on my back and I was fainting. Apparently the baby puts pressure on some blood vessel or another (technical) and restricts blood supply and oxygen.

blondebaby111 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:13:26

I've never heard its not safe to sleep on your back, atm that's the only position I find mme comftable. Hopefully its an old wives tale as no-one has ever mentioned it to me shock

TruJay Mon 02-Sep-13 21:02:30

Hopefully not very, I'm 31 weeks and always on my back confused

susan1989 Mon 02-Sep-13 20:47:27

Thank you very much ladies this is very helpful. I never used to sleep on my back but now when I wake up in my back its the few blissful minutes of comfort lol I think my little girl is going to be a diva with the amount of grief and panic she has caused so far lol smile smile x

MissRatty Mon 02-Sep-13 19:08:50

I sleep on my back mostly, and am 26 weeks. Some say its an old wives tale, as blood flow is marginally better if you sleep on your left. I asked my ob and he just said sleep however you can, if your body doesn't like a position you will naturally move.

I get breathless in minutes lying on my back so I avoid doing so. Gutted because it is my natural sleeping position. sad

rallytog1 Mon 02-Sep-13 17:25:40

It's not dangerous. It's just marginally better for blood flow if you sleep on your side. It's more dangerous not to get any sleep so if it's more comfy to lie on your back then I wouldn't worry.

If you're really keen to sleep on your side, you could try propping yourself in place with pillows.

princesscupcakemummyb Mon 02-Sep-13 16:11:25

hi susan1989 i dont really know tbh ive slept on my back alot in pregnancies hope you get the answer your looking for take care smile

susan1989 Mon 02-Sep-13 16:01:40

I know you shouldn't sleep on your back (im 30 weeks) but I've got bad PGP, I always go to sleep on my side but wake up at least 3 times a night on my back, I obviously don't know how long im laid for like that at a time. but I just wondered how dangerous this is or if anyone has any tips for a comfy nights sleep! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now