Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Crying on the bathroom floor.

(62 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Mon 02-Sep-13 09:48:43

Morning everyone, I don't really know what I need, advice or reassurance but I just need to have a release.

Due to health issues I have it was a long journey get the "ok" from my Consultants to try and get pregnant and me and my husband couldn't believe it when we then got pregnant on our first month of trying. I am excited, I really am, but I'm miserable too.

I naively thought pregnancy would be a magical time but I'm only 10 weeks in and sick of it already. I've had two separate occasions of bleeding, the first one turned out to be ok but I'm currently awaiting my 2 ND scan so make sure baby is still ok. I have felt ill for the last 4 weeks, I'm absolutely exhausted and I haven't seen friends and family for so long because I just can't bring myself to leave the house. I'm having painful restless legs, heads, nausea and all I seem to be living off is cheeses and onion crisps and crackers. The house is an absolute mess but I jut don't have the energy to care or do anything about it.

I woke up this morning with my usual nausea but then I realised that it wasn't just nausea this time but that I was actually going to be sick. Quick dart to the bathroom and then the vomiting started.

When I stopped being sick I just curled up on the bathroom mat and started crying. My crying episode lasted for ages. I only started feeling better when one of my gorgeous cats wondered in and was available for cuddles.

I feel awful when so many women would give anything to be pregnant, but I'm just so tired and ill. I want to have a happy pregnancy, not a miserable one. I just can't see how I'm going to cope with feeling like this for much longer.

Thank you for listening x x

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 02-Sep-13 10:58:10

grin
Try eating before you get up if you can. I'm a firm believer in food fighting nausea. Eat whatever your stomach tells you it can face.

PrincessKitKat Mon 02-Sep-13 11:18:12

OMG Saggy! I'm going to cease my moaning, you poor thing!

Ah.... do you remember just normal non-pregnancy, easy, regular poos? And when putting your make up on made you look 'made up' and not just alive?

Those were the days my friend.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 02-Sep-13 11:19:52

Lol! I don't wear makeup! I may have to resosrt to a paper bag with two holes cut in it! wink

Writerwannabe83 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:20:19

Lol Princess regarding easy poos smile

No sickness now for half an hour so I've braved a few sips of squash and now I'm munching on a dry cracker....

CrispyFB Mon 02-Sep-13 11:26:00

This is my fourth baby (due two days before you!) and yep.. first trimester is the worst time by far. Not only do you have the uncertainty of things not working out, but you feel like absolute crap and no energy. And when you feel like that, everything feels impossible.

Weirdly I find the nausea is more constant earlier on, but by 9-10 weeks there is less of it, but more intense. I threw up for the first time at 9-10 weeks after thinking I was nearly over it!

Most people find they feel better by 12-14 weeks or so and get more energy back, I hope that's the case for you.

Good luck with your scan when you have it!

vkinski Mon 02-Sep-13 11:58:05

The first trimester is by far the worst! Keep going, it will get better. This is my second pregnancy (now 30+1) and in my first trimester I fainted twice and generally felt pretty rubbish. Luckily for me it passed around week 10 and I have (so far!) kept really well. Now I'm in my third trimester, I am starting to feel a bit uncomfortable but for some reason it is easier to deal with when you can feel your baby moving and see the bump. Keep resting, don't beat yourself up about not being a pregnant glowing woman (I don't think she exists anyway!) and keep in your head that you will start feeling better soon xx

Bumpsadaisie Mon 02-Sep-13 12:16:03

Bless you love. The first 15 weeks of both my pregnancies were just as you describe.

You feel dreadful and you are depressed and have no motivation to do anything. I was throwing up about 20 times a day, so debilitating.

They say pregnancy is not an illness, and yes, for many women, it isn't, they just feel more tired than normal. But for some it really is an illness, esp in the early stages.

Good news is that by 15 weeks or so you will be feeling much better. By the time you get to your 20 week scan I am sure you will be feeling more you.

And the last trimester will be a breeze for you - as you will be able to look back and say, well I'm uncomfy but its nowhere near as bad as the first 15 weeks! (While all those other women who breezed through the first trimester are reeling with the shock!)

Good luck. Just go with it, don't worry, and it will pass soon.

Bumpsadaisie Mon 02-Sep-13 12:18:35

PS my two children derived their earliest in utero nourishment from crackers, copious amounts of coca cola, and fruit sherbets.

Needless to say they are absolutely fine in fact they are hale and hearty kids.

Bumpsadaisie Mon 02-Sep-13 12:20:03

PPS dont think about 29th March. Just think about this week. You've got to pace yourself!

coffeewineandchocolate Mon 02-Sep-13 12:26:42

I'm 7+4 and experiencing sickness too. I had it badly until 11 weeks with my first and then it just disappeared overnight. The sickness is caused by a fast increase in hormones as your baby grows so try and see it as a positive thing. Have you been to the gp to see if they can prescribe anything?

Just eat and drink what and when you can- the baby will get all its nutrients from you. Hopefully the sickness will stop soon and you can eat more healthily!

Writerwannabe83 Tue 03-Sep-13 07:09:40

Morning everyone, I'm feeling a bit better today.

I took some of your advice and decided to set my alarm early to enable me to slowly have something to eat whilst lying in bed. So I've had a lovely strawberry yoghurt and now I'm munching my way through some Rich Tea biscuits. I'm off work at the moment (due to the bleeding) so at least I can leisurely let it digest. I've got to be at the hospital for 9am tomorrow and Im dreading having to rush about or the potential sickness. I'm not sure how I'm going to drink 2 litres of water without it coming straight back up again...... hmm

MrsSpencerReid Tue 03-Sep-13 07:23:37

Hi writer, hope you feel a bit better today, if your scan is at 9am could you not just skip your first wee of the day? Then you prob won't have to drink extra smile my DS was grown on lettuce and vinegar for the first 12/16w and I don't think it did him any harmsmile am 18w with dc2 and this one has been grown on snickers!!

Writerwannabe83 Tue 03-Sep-13 07:32:35

Haha Mrs Spencer - I feel a bit better now about all the pointless food I am eating : dry crackers, dry biscuits, chocolate milkshakes, yogurts, apples, custard and cheese and onion crisps smile

I actually can't remember the last time I ate a meal hmm smile

That's a good idea about my wee, thanks smile

PrincessKitKat Tue 03-Sep-13 08:09:44

Pleased to hear you're a bit better today writer. I'm having my anti-sickness Cheerios in bed too smile

Let us know how your scan goes tomorrow please? Good luck.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 03-Sep-13 08:28:26

Course I will princess - I'm actually feeling pretty positive about it as I didn't have any bleeding yesterday. Still having the odd stomach ache and twinge though, but time will tell.

The problem I have now is trying to work out whether I'm hungry or I'm going to be sick. I have this horrible feeling in my stomach and can't decide whether to have another biscuit to see if it settles down or whether I need to make a dash to the bathroom.... hmm

Writerwannabe83 Tue 03-Sep-13 08:55:08

Spoke to soon - brown stringy mucus on the toilet paper... hmm

PrincessKitKat Tue 03-Sep-13 09:17:00

Could it just be the remains of the bleeding the other day being flushed out?
Try to keep calm & call your MW or GP x

Writerwannabe83 Tue 03-Sep-13 09:39:47

I won't bother with the GP/MW - after all, I have got a scan in the morning, I'm not sure what else they could do?

I'm just staying in bed all day and resting and willing my Bean to hang on.

My Big Boss just called (who is lovely) and said under no circumstances am I to return to work all week. She said that my baby is what's important and if me going off sick for a month is what's needed then that's absolutely what she wants me to do smile She is so supportive. It really helps that I know I don't need to worry about work alongside everything else x

x0gawjus0x Tue 03-Sep-13 10:06:16

Youre lucky with work, i am 14 weeks today and cannot sit or stand without being sick. I was hospitalised last wk for high fever and was on a drip im now bed bound and been signed off work for a week my manager basically hung up on me when i told her so not only do i feel like im in my death bed ive got constant worry about work now too i sure hope theres light at the end of this tunnel n hope you dont suffer as much as some x

PrincessKitKat Tue 03-Sep-13 10:17:31

Great to hear that you're getting support at work Writer. Try to relax today.

Everything crossed for good news tomorrow.

ZingWantsCake Tue 03-Sep-13 10:59:50

writer <waves, 'tis me Zing! x>

first 3 months are tough going
and for me 8-11 weeks were typically the worst ( head in the loo 5x a day).

when the nausea an vomiting ease up you will fell better and the 2nd trimester tends to be lovely and you'll get a bit of your energy back.

you have plenty of time to enjoy your pg - but try to be level headed and not have expectations of what pg should be like!
also some people might look lovely, but could suffer terribly!

Remember that line from Friends when Phoebe gets a compliment about how she's glowing?
she snaps back at Joey that her cool pregnant lady "glow" is from throwing up all morning. grin

keep that in mind. good luck thanks

TarkaTheOtter Tue 03-Sep-13 11:10:34

I agree, the end of the first trimester is the worst bit of pregnancy for me. Just eat what you can and survive it. You can catch up on 5 a day later in pregnancy.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 03-Sep-13 18:30:34

Well I have made it through the day with no vomiting!! grin

I haven't had any tears either...

Maybe yesterday was just a one-off ..... fingers crossed!!! smile

FatPenguin Tue 03-Sep-13 19:37:38

Well done! grin the good days make the bad days easier to deal with. I managed to go to Morrisons earlier and didn't heave once, go me! I did however stand sniffing the fabric softeners for 10 minutes.

Good luck for scan tomorrow, let us know how you get on?

FatPenguin Tue 03-Sep-13 19:41:16

gawjus - don't you worry about work, you and baby have to come first. You are pregnant and your employer has to accept you are not fit for work. It will get better x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now