Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Swollen pregnant hands - Ring stuck!

(18 Posts)
PinkApple86 Mon 26-Aug-13 15:13:25

I'm 36+4 and realised that my hands must be swollen as my wedding ring is stuck on. Will I have to remove it during labour? Or say if I had to have a c-section? Should I try and get it off now just in case? I don't want to have it cut off in the hospital shock Thanks

SmallBee Mon 26-Aug-13 15:17:57

I'd try & get it off at some point today & maybe just wear it on a necklace until after the birth? Don't try and force it off as that'll just make your hand swell more, but maybe put something cool on it to reduce swelling before you try & use some hand lotion or similar? Good luck!

Stom91 Mon 26-Aug-13 15:30:36

Try washing up liquid to get it off.. You don't want it to cut your circulation..

Usually if u have surgery they just put tape around the wedding ring. X

Yonionekanobe Mon 26-Aug-13 15:51:59

Mine did this and I got in a right panic about it in case I needed a c-section (which I didn't as things transpired). MW said that they would just cover the rings in tape.

Rockchick1984 Mon 26-Aug-13 16:04:59

Try to remove it - hands in cold water for a while, then some washing up liquid or hair conditioner. If that doesn't work then wrap cotton around your finger to smooth your finger down and slide it off.

Not wanting to worry you but I used to work in a jewellers and regularly had to cut rings off people who had insisted on wearing them while fingers were getting too big for them - have also seen where the ring has dug into the skin and cut the person's finger - I wouldn't touch those and sent the customer to A&E to have it removed, its an infection risk!

Personally once my fingers started getting larger I wore my wedding ring on a necklace, and bought a cheap silver ring in a larger size to wear until my own fit me again.

Gingerandlemon Mon 26-Aug-13 16:41:31

I had a similar panic and after trying various things, got it off with ahem lube. blush

mrspaddy Mon 26-Aug-13 16:46:15

I would try and get it off... I bough a dress ring for now as cannot wet mine comfortably.

Kelly1814 Mon 26-Aug-13 16:49:13

Mine has been off since 31 weeks as fingers too sausage like. I stuck my hand in the freezer to get it off. Good luck!

extracrunchy Mon 26-Aug-13 16:56:28

Ooh ooh mine got stuck in last pregnancy and I tried EVERYTHING to get it off and nothing worked - then someone suggested window cleaner! So weird and no idea why but a few liberal sprays and twiddles and it came straight off!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Mon 26-Aug-13 17:02:27

Take it off, I took mine off at 32 weeks as fingers were swollen and was worried it wouldn't come off.

I still can't get mine back on baby now 4 weeks, I bought a cheap silver ring last week. My engagement ring fits but not wearing that either as constantly gets caught in babies blankets, which is something I had never thought of.

extracrunchy Mon 26-Aug-13 17:03:42

and baby poo (and later food and playdough) in little engagement ring crevices is inevitable grin

Neverdonethisbefore Mon 26-Aug-13 18:09:53

Take it off now if you can. My beautiful platinum ring had to be hacked off when I was in having DD1 last year as it was cutting my circulation off. Luckily my house insurance covered the cost of getting it fixed. Now expecting DD2 and won't be put the ring back on until after deliver.

PinkApple86 Mon 26-Aug-13 18:55:08

Thanks everyone. I didn't want to take it off because I didn't want to feel like I'm unmarrying dh lol. Like the idea of wearing a temp ring for now.

Anothermrssmith Mon 26-Aug-13 21:00:36

You have my sympathies, had to take my wedding and engagement ring off and only 21 weeks (warm weather over the last few days hasnt helped the swelling mind you). Felt horrible without it on today but glad they're off now, you can still see where they were digging into my finger! Need a trip to Argos this week for a chain so I can wear them round my neck.

TobyLerone Mon 26-Aug-13 21:08:51

I barely wear mine as it is (I forget to put them on in the mornings!). Some days they fit and some days they don't. Sometimes I wear a slightly larger eternity ring instead, but most days I don't bother.

I'd take it off now. You don't want to have to have it cut off.

PinkApple86 Mon 26-Aug-13 23:19:42

I got it off with some ice cubes and washing up liquid. Actually a blister underneath no wonder it was hurting. Found another ring to wear instead much bigger. Didn't realise I was so swollen! blush

PictureMeInThese Mon 26-Aug-13 23:23:23

run your fingers under cold water or put it in a glass of iced water then use butter on it to help it slide off.

LostMySocks Mon 26-Aug-13 23:31:31

As abive and Also sit down and relax before you try to remove it again as getting worked up and pulling at the ring can also make your finger swell further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now