Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What counts as heavily pregnant?

(46 Posts)
DaleyBump Sat 24-Aug-13 00:19:15

When do you think being "heavily pregnant" starts? 26 weeks exactly and I feel huge. I have to roll to get off the bed. Flights of stairs give me a feeling of dread, and I've mastered the art of picking things up with my toes, because if I bend down I'll never get back up.

So what do you think? smile:

Feelslikea1sttimer Sat 24-Aug-13 08:56:43

themarriedwoman it was a long time since I had my boys, I've conveniently forgotten those last few weeks of pregnancy and I am staying in my 28 week bubble for now ;) a 9.4 baby for my 1st... I'm sure I was HEAVILY pregnant but i can't remember ;-)

SmallBee Sat 24-Aug-13 09:15:29

Poppy- I've been doing exactly the same thing! I never realised how annoying long hair can be.

chillisbopper Sat 24-Aug-13 10:47:39

The married woman I think in my case it's currently closer to 26 being only 26+2 grin, I tend to think from +4 as almost the next week.

bonzo77 Sat 24-Aug-13 10:54:15

It counts when the pregnant woman says it does! IME much earlier when you also have a toddler to look after! With DS1 I never felt heavy, though he was IUGR and had low fluid, and I got to 39+1. With DS2 I was really uncomfortable by 30 weeks, despite having the same issues. By the time he came at 35+5 I felt grotesque, but looking at photos of me waiting to go to theatre I barely look pregnant!

MrsKwazii Sat 24-Aug-13 11:04:22

When your toddler has gone out with DH and you find yourself still watching Peppa Pig because the remote is on the other side of the room and you can't face heaving your bulk up to turn it off wink Not what I'm doing at all at the moment. Oh no grin

Helentres Sat 24-Aug-13 11:14:50

Chillisbopper - unbelievably, DS2 (the 10lb 6oz baby) was actually the easiest! He kind of pushed himself out haha. I had assisted deliveries with the other 2 yet no problem with him. And he was the quickest labour too. I was already 8cm dilated by the time I got to hospital! I'm surprised at myself for being able to even carry him as I'm only 9.5st myself lol. DS1 was the worst and her was the smallest at just under 8lb. I nearly ended up with an emergency c section with him because I was just too tired from pushing for what seemed like hours.

Sleepathon Sat 24-Aug-13 11:17:05

So when does the third trimester officially start? Lots of resources have variable weeks!

Helentres Sat 24-Aug-13 11:45:15

I'd say third trimester starts at 6 months. 0-3 months is first trimester, 3-6 is second and 6-9 is third x

badguider Sat 24-Aug-13 11:48:25

It's a totally individual thing - I didn't really start feeling it till about 32 weeks (I know how lucky I am). Sometimes now 38wks+ I feel 'heavy' and other times when I've had enough rest and my stomach muscles are working again and pelvis feeling ok then I don't feel heavy.

plentyofsoap Sat 24-Aug-13 12:30:06

Im 26 weeks today and carrying very low this time. I think its when you cannot paint your own toe nails anymore. I am very nearly there wink

suntodayplease Sat 24-Aug-13 13:07:50

33 weeks, I can no longer get passed the 'D'H in the hallway without wide load comments. A bigger house could be an option, or I could kick him out till baby arrives. the later would be preferable
Cheeky sod said I was definitely bigger this time round despite me measuring smaller and having put significantly less weight on. Because of course he's an expert?!

suntodayplease Sat 24-Aug-13 13:09:04

Oh and when you have to hand over maintenance 'down there' to a 3rd party. That's definitely being heavily pregnant.

princesscupcakemummyb Sat 24-Aug-13 13:21:42

i didnt feel "heavily preggo with my 2nd at all as i had a small bump and now im expecting dc3 i again have a small bump now 30 weeks still dont feel "heavily pregnant but i guess it depends from person to person i felt really "heavily from 28 weeks with dc1 i was really big had excess fluid

scattered Sat 24-Aug-13 19:32:55

I had twins, combined weight 14lb 3oz so it was about 5 months on!! No seriously it was when I could sit in a bathtub and keep the water in without a plug smile

MummyPig24 Sat 24-Aug-13 19:42:19

I would say 35 weeks or more. I would never have said I was massive but definitely felt big after then.

42andcounting Sat 24-Aug-13 20:14:00

When you have to buy proper maternity knickers to go for the physio you need because being pregnant has buggered up your back - and your DP instantly christens them "parachute pants".

When a kind man in the queue at asda offers to pick your basket off the floor for you, saying "you shouldn't be doing that love, you look like you've got triplets in there!" (I'm 30 weeks with one baby who is 50th percentile).

When one of those grabber things becomes essential equipment, and you have a little cry because you're upstairs and you've left it downstairs. Then realise what a knob you're being, so you go downstairs and have a cake instead smile

Queazy Sat 24-Aug-13 23:24:42

3rd trimester starts at 28 weeks, so a for the duration of the 7th, 8th and 9th month of pregnancy (and beyond for those of us with babies who want to stay put!!).

MildredH Sat 24-Aug-13 23:34:14

I'm 26 weeks and wouldn't yet count myself as "heavily pregnant" however I think it's pretty personal & variable..

I am just beginning to feel heavy, like I want to sit a bit more than usual & last week I noticed I had swollen cankles- only with the aid of a mirror as its been a few weeks since I saw my feet without one.

Razzdazz Sun 25-Aug-13 10:01:06

My god!! I have felt 'heavily' pregnant since 24 weeks when I measured 32!! Am now 33 and measuring 44!! Polyhydramious is to blame!! Makes your bump totally solid so no bendage at all!!

I am 26 weeks tomorrow and I feel heavy. I wouldn't count myself as heavily pregnant but I am having to haul myself about a bit. Turning over in bed is a trial and bending down is difficult. Fed up already and slightly traumatised at how long I have to go and how much bigger I'm going to get. I was huge with ds and I can only assume ill be the same or worse with this one.

hettienne Sun 25-Aug-13 17:40:54

Definitely an individual thing. First pregnancy I didn't feel properly pregnant til about 6-7 months and didn't feel heavily pregnant until 8 months.

Second pregnancy I am already feeling massive at 4 months hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now