Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you pack your hospital bag?

(37 Posts)
suntodayplease Fri 23-Aug-13 09:32:56

Out of interest? I keep reading about people having packed their bag by 32 weeks. Fully understand if you're high risk etc that you need to be ready earlier. But if you're low risk when realistically do you need to have it packed by? This is DC2 so you'd think I'd remember!

Queazy Tue 27-Aug-13 07:01:03

I packed at 36 weeks. I know a number of people who've have had babies around the 36-37 week mark, so ideally I would have done it by 34/35 weeks. I wrote lists much earlier and bought the stuff...peaked a bit soon and then couldn't be bothered to pack the bloody bag!! smile

CogDat Tue 27-Aug-13 02:44:07

I just picked up my toothbrush, shower stuff, my book, PJs and a change of clothes on the way out. And something to eat.
I could have done that weeks before, but I didn't see why it would help me.

PeriodMath Tue 27-Aug-13 02:34:49

I'm 38wks and have just started putting a few things in a small case.

I don't know why people get so stressed about this. It's just a bag of stuff, hardly any of it essential, most people take 5 times what they'll actually need, none of it couldn't be brought in quickly by someone else and anyway - with a first baby you have usually got HOURS at home to throw if together before you even need to go to the hospital. Plus, if you have a normal delivery, you'll barely be in for 24 hrs and will be carting it all home with you!

I know, I know, it's all part of the ritual. I was much more "prepared" first time round but when you've done it once you realise your bag generally stays untouched till the point where they ask you to get your vest and sleepsuit out. As for the clary sage, massage beads and hypno cds, do me a favour!

Ignore me, I'm just cynical - second time round, give me the drugs! wink

babyicebean Tue 27-Aug-13 02:19:32

The first time I packed it at six months but only because we were having to move in with the MIL and she would have wanted to pack it for me as she knew better.
Second time I didn't pack anything because she was an emergency c-section three weeks early.
Last time himself suggested I might want to pack something to take with me on the morning of the booked section.

LongTailedTit Tue 27-Aug-13 02:08:28

I packed mine after my waters broke at 35+5! Had been planning to do it that week, but then DS decided to jump the gun, so packed random crap while waiting for DH to get home to take me to hospital. Took waaaay too much stuff, and not all of it turned out to be useful.

Will get it packed around 34 weeks this time I reckon, just in case #2 is early too.

Cloudkitten Mon 26-Aug-13 15:55:21

Well, it's not hard to pack the basics in a bag and shove it in the wardrobe... just in cases smile Then you know you've at least got pants/nightdress/nursing bra/nappies/babygros somewhere to hand, collected all in one place.

Realistically though, if you were taken in by emergency, shops are open 24/7 and there's nothing that you would need that couldn't be bought very quickly and brought in, by anyone, even a friend or neighbour (pretty much everyone would help out in a situation like that I'm sure).

All I would do is think about anything really personal that couldn't easily be bought eg maternity knickers, or a nightdress that fits nicely that you like. Pack those. Everything else can be picked up very easily.

vkinski Mon 26-Aug-13 15:38:29

I'm 29 weeks and will probably wait another couple of weeks before starting to pick up some bits and pieces for my hospital bag. Although my nick-name is Monica (from Friends due to my fondness of cleaning, making lists and organising things), so I might give in earlier!

I would second making sure there are a few snacks or drinks in your bag. I didn't think of this with my DD and after she was born, I was starving and they brought me a very rubbery looking hamburger (with no bun), served with fried sliced potatoes?! The most horrible and bizzare dinner ever put down before me, so DH got sent off to Greggs and I pretty much lived on Oval Bites for 2 days! At least if I had of put some healthy snacks (and treats!) in my bag, I wouldn't have been so ravenous!

CheeseFondueRocks Mon 26-Aug-13 15:04:00

I can't remember with DD but I aim to have my bag ready when I reach full-term so 37 weeks as DS could arrive any day from then. Remember that 40 weeks is only your average pregnancy length. DD was born at 38+6 so I'm glad I didn't wait too long.

jammiecat Mon 26-Aug-13 14:56:33

First baby I had a few bits in the bag from about 35 weeks but didn't finish it until after my waters broke at 38+5 when baby was clearly going to make an early appearance!

Might try and get a bit more organised this time round just in case...

GlitterFingers Mon 26-Aug-13 14:27:47

I pack whilst I was in labour on my due date grin it worked quite well I never forgot anything apart from scratch mittens. Dd was sick on first pair took them off and she ruined her face

PinkParsnips Mon 26-Aug-13 14:19:45

I'm 30 weeks this week and am just starting to think I should think about making a list and washing some baby clothes to go in :-)

knittingirl Mon 26-Aug-13 13:54:02

I packed it at 26 weeks - was having problems with anxiety and the mw suggested it would help allay some of my worrie to get ready.

dexterpat Mon 26-Aug-13 00:03:10

Started mine today @36 weeks - I've had really strong bh last couple of days - baby is banned from appearing till September though ( good for school age and my maternity pay) but I'm so convinced ill go over I've not done anything really yet ( ds1 was 40+16 induced,ds2 was 40+14 naturally ) - I thought I'd chuck the stuff I've got in a bag then ill know what I need to get- so mine is started but bit finished ds3 has nappies and outfits but not much else !

chickydoo Sun 25-Aug-13 23:37:14

Never! ( well not for DD 1) she came at 36 weeks, nothing in bag at all!

Fakebook Sun 25-Aug-13 23:35:34

I'm 30 weeks on Friday and haven't even thought about packing anything yet. I've got babygrows and first clothes bought and ready though. I cba this time.

Beckmum4 Sun 25-Aug-13 22:57:38

Iv just packed mine I'm 36 weeks I still think its to early lol

annamelissa Fri 23-Aug-13 19:41:45

35+3 and haven't packed anything yet, oh and am high risk too! Think I might get cracking this weekend...

suntodayplease Fri 23-Aug-13 17:22:01

I think I'm going to go for the laid back 38+ weeks approach. We've done nothing to prepare for this baby other than get pregnant! Quite possibly in denial about the whole thing!

wispa31 Fri 23-Aug-13 17:18:06

38+2 here and nothing packed and fuck all bought. :O only because we are about to move into our own house, which has been getting work done and was supposed to be finished weeks ago but theres been delay after delay so im currently sleeping in pils spare room which is tiny and anything ive bought for house/baby is packed up so cant see what ive got. i get paid next week so there will be a massive spree then. and hoping i now go overdue so that me and dp cant get some time to ourselves before baby appears. havent had a shag in months!!

TWavre Fri 23-Aug-13 14:36:16

I'm 33 weeks & packed my bag this week after we had a little scare (everything is fine) & had to go in to the hospital on the weekend.

The only problem is I'm still using some of the stuff I'd like to pack so I've got a little list on my mobile with stuff I need to remember to chuck in. I just feel a bit better knowing its done even if its not 100% there. This is our first though so I'm probably doing everything too soon!

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Fri 23-Aug-13 14:31:51

Dc1: 33 weeks. My bag included a soothing lavender mister, some arnica cream, a variety of organic snacks and a DVD box set in case I got 'bored' whilst in labour.

Dc2: packed bag at 39+1 whilst in labour. Took a large packet of salt and vinegar crisps and my birth plan which said 'I intend to have an epidural' in bold and underlined.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Fri 23-Aug-13 14:23:40

I haven't packed mine yet and I'm 30 weeks with DC2. I think I'll do it around 32 weeks. I've got most stuff to go in and we are ten mins' walk from the hospital though so fingers crossed it wouldn't be a problem if baby came early.

Now, DH's plan that I walk to the hospital rather than us driving - that needs a bit of work!

plentyofsoap Fri 23-Aug-13 14:22:47

nearly done mine, 26 weeks now (early last time though) I have been buying bits I have seen on offer. 3 for 2 on pads at Boots now so its worth getting when I see it. Good reminder about snacks.

mumingball Fri 23-Aug-13 14:22:03

I'm 33 weeks and haven't packed yet because the simple idea makes me feel very anxious. I know I should do it soon though!

My second child was born at 26wks, so usually I pack at around 25wks or so loosely, but adding smaller stuff in until it's complete a few weeks later, which has worked well for the other three pregnancies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now