Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SPD - I've woken up and can't walk

(15 Posts)
YouKnowOfTheCrunch Tue 20-Aug-13 05:47:20

I've had SPD for weeks, yesterday it ramped up the pain a lot. It's as though overnight I've fallen apart. I'm 36+4 and usually go 2 weeks past 40 weeks.

I need to get to the physio tomorrow. But I can't walk that far. Driving (even in an automatic) is agony.

I feel trapped and frightened. I need to be able to move to look after my other dcs.

Would they consider letting me have a c-section?

Or should I hold out for my lovely planned home birth? sad

I don't want to wait and do myself more damage.

Help.

AndThatsWhatIThinkOfYou Tue 20-Aug-13 06:15:02

I would ring your midwife my friend ended up in a wheelchair at 34 week's , she had a c section at 37 week's.

Good luck and congratulations

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Tue 20-Aug-13 06:22:25

Thanks ATWITOY. I think I'm going to have to do something that isn't just gritting my teeth and trying to keep quiet every time I move so I don't frighten the dcs.

I've got a high pain threshold but I'm at my limits.

McBaby Tue 20-Aug-13 06:44:24

Rest, Physio, acupuncture, painkillers, crutches, support belt from hospital, helped me get someone over to help with the kids as battling through is likely to make it worse and you need to get your self sorted.

Taxi to Physio as driving could be dangerous.

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Tue 20-Aug-13 06:48:45

Thanks McBaby.

As soon as everywhere is awake I'm going to be on the phone.

If you'd told me a week ago that today I'd be considering begging for a c-section, I'd have said you were mad.

I was on crutches last time, but they're so impractical for getting around the house. Probably better than my current technique of dragging myself around on the furniture though.

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Tue 20-Aug-13 09:42:15

Physio can't see me until the 2nd of Sept as everyone is off on holiday.

Now what?

Feeling really useless and scared. I know it's the pain. I know I get embarrassed admitting the pain. But I keep coming back to "if they want to see me how will I dress, let alone walk to the ward from a car" whilst the other part of me is berating me for being melodramatic and telling me to "suck it up, don't complain, it's only another 5 weeks at most".

Stupid brain.

flatmum Tue 20-Aug-13 09:47:41

I've been there. rest. ibuprofen gel (with caution, not recommended) get to an osteopath ASAP. have the natural birth smile

Lovemyprincess4eva Tue 20-Aug-13 09:49:56

Have you called your midwife? I would contact them or your GP and advise that physio can't see you and how much pain you are in.
Hope you get sorted xx

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Tue 20-Aug-13 09:53:57

Thanks flatmum, am currently taking the useless paracetemol.

Lovemy, it's next on the list. Just trying to sort dcs first (very slowly). They're being so good and patient with me.

00hbehave Tue 20-Aug-13 15:57:06

this is my 3rd preganancy and have had it with previous 2,i got induced with both pregnancies.
I have been diagnosed at week 23 and referred for urgent physio this morning,i work full time on my feet and could not move last night when i got home from work,i cant take painkillers as have a reaction to them so for now all i can do to ease it it sleep with pillows between my legs untill i get my physio. i would push for an induction if you are really struggling,al they can do is say no xxx

ilovemulberry Tue 20-Aug-13 16:51:05

book a private appt with a chiropractor or osteopath. My friend had sciatica and felt better straight after her osteo appt. Worth a try.

justhayley Tue 20-Aug-13 16:56:27

Acupuncture is the way forward. You could maybe get a therapist to come over if you explained the situation.
I was in agony - had one session and was running a marathon the next day - ok not quite a marathon but I could walk to the kitchen to get biscuits without pain grin.
Only you'l no if you can hold out for the birth you want. Contact your MW & discuss your options

JanePlanet Tue 20-Aug-13 16:57:08

I spent ££££ on a chiro and a private pt. Tried this and it helped so much. I can walk again!! Hope you get some relief soon.

Mogz Tue 20-Aug-13 17:08:36

Oh poor you, that sounds horrid, I hope you've managed to talk to the midwife or doc about getting something to help.

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Tue 20-Aug-13 22:12:03

Thanks everyone. MW finally got back to me at midday, she tried to get a physio apt for me too, but no joy. She's happy to go with whatever I want. Which is good. She hopes it's that baby has shifted slightly as she's engaging and will shift again and relieve the pressure a bit. Fingers crossed. I do see an osteopath occasionally for my back, but I'm a bit nervous about having any manipulation on a joint that is so painful. Hopefully there'll be a change soon. It's really getting me down now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now