Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

A thread for elderberries who are hovering in the bfp helicopter

(990 Posts)

All elderberry grads welcome and anyone who fills berry criteria: ttc #1 a long time now finally bagged that elusive bfp, over 30...

Come join the next stage of the journey and compare sickness reports!! grin

It's between 11 and 13+6 if you want the downs screening, otherwise it might be a bit later - at least in our trust, scan department is overrun!

Wimwom Tue 20-Aug-13 19:18:34

Would you guys mind if I hang out with you? You're a lovely bunch and I'm too scared of the antenatal boards - they move so fast, and lots of instadiffers or numbers 2+ which I'm just not ready for yet!
I'm so impressed some of you a still up to so much exercise! IVF has really taken it out of me and have been tired for months. Give me some of your energy!
Any one having early scans? I booked one for ten days time - I'm now really worried they won't see anything as I have not felt sick today, but have poked boobs and can confirm still sore (but not growing - grrrr!)

haycorn Tue 20-Aug-13 19:18:44

Hi all!

Re. your mountain bike and zombie races barking, it's really hard to know how far to take the being careful thing isn't it? I had booked a total wipeout style assault course for a group of friends and us for my hubby's birthday at the weekend. I couldn't think of any good way of getting out of it as it was me who booked it, but I really didn't want to come clean to everyone when it is such early days, and I also felt a bit embarrassed about being a crazy lady who refuses to do anything because she is preggers, so I went ahead with it and just avoided anything that could have me to a fall by admitting pretending to be a total wuss. However, as I was going round I suddenly realised that nothing at all would be worth losing the pregnancy when I've tried so damn hard to get it. So my husband probably thinks I'm being a bit of a pansy, but it's soft exercise only for me for the moment, until I feel a bit more confident that its going to stick around.

Also, I am definitely getting out of breath a lot more easily, and my asthma has been really quite bad this last week too. Why do you think that happens? It's a bit embarrassing when all there is inside is something the size of a sesame seed! All in all I'm feeling pretty crap at the moment. Constantly knackered and out of breath and also really fat and bloated. Anyone know if that is going to improve? I always fancied being one of those pregnant ladies with a lovely neat bump and no fat anywhere else. I certainly didn't envisage being a big fat lump who can't even make it up the stairs in one go at only 5 weeks!

I was never going to be a neat bump haycorn, my arse is a wide-load anyway, but actually I've lost weight since I got the bfp which I can't believe as I've been eating like a really fat horse. Only a couple of pounds, but still!

wim yes of course, welcome (back), strap yourself into the bfp chopper! I think loads of us have booked early scans, I've got mine at about 8 1/2 weeks so still 3 weeks to go (meh).

Haycorn I'm with you, I'm not taking any chances this time. Last time I kept up all the fitness stuff I was doing, including military fitness, but I don't want to push myself this time just in case. I'll stick to walking the dogs and the occasional swim for now!

Everything I've read about exercise in pg says research shows it can help make an easier birth. It's also easier to get back in shape afterwards. I'll just stick to running, dog walking and swimming though, and the easier bike rides. basically nothing that has a risk of falling over (not greater than the risk of falling over at any other point anyway).

I'm bloody tired though. And although we're having a fantastic holiday I am ready to come home. I think 3 weeks is my limit, any longer and I start craving my own bed. Just one more night on an airbed, 3 in a tent, two on a sofa, one on the plane, one at MiLs and then I get back to my own bed!!! grin

katatonic Tue 20-Aug-13 22:04:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Welcome katatonic!
I would have thought zumba and steps are both fine. Everything I've read so far just says avoid anything that has a risk of falling, and contact sports. Everything else you were doing before is fine to carry on with, other than stomach crunches after 12 weeks not that I've been obsessing over this topic at all

Evening all

Hi kat and welcome. I think we met on the ttc after mc thread. With exercise I think the point is you don't need to stop anything (within reason), its just recommended that you don't start doing crazy new stuff.

barking hats off to you fit girl! Of course it's good news to stay active and healthy not a lazy heifer like me so you go girl. Swimming is a good idea though, am quite tempted by that.

wim stay stay stay!

<feeling smug that I got the questions nearly right as verified by professor boom>

katatonic Wed 21-Aug-13 08:25:13

I'm now stressing because I got really lax at taking my preconception vitamins (ie folic acid). After 18 months of taking stupidly expensive vitamins every day for nothing I started begrudging them and got really lazy about taking them.
So basically for the last 3 months I've been taking them now again and then on holiday I forgot completely until I got my bfp and then started taking them again.... Given the number of accidental pgs where they clearly haven't been taking folic acid for over a year beforehand that go absolutely fine I don't know why I'm even thinking about it. Someone please sausage wang me.

Right, back on the road again, another 3 nights in a tent in 3 different campsites shock .

now and again.....

<WANGGGG>

<takes barking gently by the hand, leads her to the armchair of calm (AOC) and sits her down>

Come on lady, please be calm. Millions of women get pg by mistake, millions must never take folic acid ever (my SIL was 12 weeks both times before she realised sh was pg), historically they wouldn't have had it and by the sounds of it you've probably got enough reserves to see you through the next three pregnancies anyway. (Disclaimer: I have no idea if Humans actually retain folic acid)

This is a really scary time because there is so much we are totally out of control of, but that doesn't mean that the tiny things we can do are the deciding factor on whether it works out or not. You are doing really well, just try to take each day, or half day as it comes. And do freak out out loud here!

<ducks in case barking smacks me>

PoppySeedBun Wed 21-Aug-13 19:05:44

Hello berries!
So glad to have found this thread. I dropped off MN shortly after a MMC at 9 wks in April, as I didn't want to think about TTC for a while - sounds like a similar story to yours katatonic

So now I'm 5w3 but still somewhat in denial (both last time and this time on Clomid). I'm kind of going the opposite of all the early scans and waiting for another week or so before telling my doc, don't want to have a scan before 8w and don't want to tell anyone before 12. Telling parents and in-laws about MMC last time was so hard. Had a little bit of bleeding today, so thinking I will do another test at the end of the week to see if we're still on.

Totally with you all on the 'if' thinking - can't work out how I'll reassure myself this time around, especially as MMC was 9 wks but stopped at 6.

Oh, and barking - ditto! Was being really lazy with vitamins,but now back with the programme!

Evenin' all

So I'm in a good mood tonight, just been offered a job. Going to be a real midwife! Eeek!

Barking don't worry about the folic acid. I think a lot of us me forgot them or had a tantrum and threw them away at some point. You can't build 'excess' folic acid reserves per se, but having taken it for a long time (as well as having a good diet which I assume you do because you're uber-healthy) it's likely you wouldn't have been deficient, and it's the deficiency that's an issue. Folic acid is actually more of an issue for people living below the breadline on tinned/frozen food - if you eat plenty of fresh food you probably don't even need the maternity vitamins (although don't stop taking them!)

Hi Poppy, welcome to the helicopter! Sorry to hear about the mmc but glad you made it back here again. What were you on clomid for? I don't want a scan before 8wks either, I've booked one for just after but not sure if it's too soon to be reassuring.. I've cracked and told my sister and my best mate, but won't tell parents until I'm fairly sure things are going well as they were heartbroken last time.

Hello kat loving the lopsided symptoms! Fx for your scan, bleeding can be so common, hopefully it was just part of your miniKat getting snug.

PoppySeedBun Wed 21-Aug-13 22:42:23

Hello boom. Hopefully scan at 8 wks will show good heartbeat. I didn't get to see one last time, so I'm hoping that will be a good milestone for me.
I went on Clomid to help regulate my cycles as I'm slightly PCOS (and the fact that I've got Pg twice in 4 cycles on Clomid would seem to confirm that the problem with TTC for 2.5 years was me (as my DH keeps pointing out, the tests said he has excellent sperm grin))
Sorry - TMI

Congratulations boom!! Fantastic news about the job. So the shorter interview wasn't a bad sign after all. When do you start? and when can you start letting us in after hours to do sneaky scans?

kat I also chuckled at the one sore boob. That came back to me during yesterday mornings insomnia and I couldn't work out if I'd dreamt it or not so I had to come on here to check!

Hi poppy sorry to hear about your mmc. You are in good company here for other people who have suffered and also us all just being generally terrified/in denial.

Where's tally? It's worrying if she goes quiet at the moment- are you ok lady?

katatonic Thu 22-Aug-13 09:28:51

Tallyra Thu 22-Aug-13 09:47:06

hi newbies, and thanks for thinking of me thunder. I'm in hospital on a drip. hg kicked in good and proper yesterday and I was sensationally distressed. I'm feeling a but better now I'm on meds and hopefully home later today.

Boom that's great news! Will you be my midwife? The private berry midwife?? Is it nearby and what you wanted?
Tally you poor poor thing. Do the drugs help the sickness at all or is hospital more about just replacing fluids? Thinking of you
Hi to everyone I've not name checked. Flying home tonight so hard to keep up on my phone, can't wait to be able to eat all the disgusting things I've been craving for 13 days (dairylea, walkers crisps, salmon paste)!

Argh tally belatedly realised my food mentioning will not be helpful to you, sorry

MotherOfCleo Thu 22-Aug-13 16:33:39

Hi guys, hope don't mind an old berry nipping in? Just wanted to wish you all well, I remember how hard the early weeks were and have everything crossed that all of you go on to have healthy happy pregnancies. grin

tally FX you are feeling better!

I'm actually a bit jealous of all you girls having each other to compare symptoms with/support each other, I was a bit of a loner when I graduated.

Look after yourselves and don't push yourselves too hard as the tiredness can be a bitch. Also the out of breath thing is something I suffered with really early on, think it is quite common, it went by 12 weeks but is now back with a vengeance and I feel like a big fat unfit blob attractive huh.

katatonic Thu 22-Aug-13 18:54:21

katatonic Thu 22-Aug-13 18:57:07

PoppySeedBun Thu 22-Aug-13 19:38:56

Good grief, katatonic - no food and standing on tube? Double cake I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now