Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

A thread for elderberries who are hovering in the bfp helicopter

(990 Posts)

All elderberry grads welcome and anyone who fills berry criteria: ttc #1 a long time now finally bagged that elusive bfp, over 30...

Come join the next stage of the journey and compare sickness reports!! grin

Oh no tally. Is there anything else you can nibble on. I've had a banana and currently halfway through a pack of mini cheddars here- my house is full of ridiculous snacks.

Tallyra Tue 20-Aug-13 10:23:15

I've just got a stale pack of hobnobs to nibble on - better than nothing I suppose! and a pack of grapes I just bought in the market on the way past this morning.

Tally I'm certain everyone is different and if another person suggests ginger to me I may commit murder but the couple of things that helped me were torn off pieces of dry baguette, plain crisps and white bread. Fx this is 'just' morning sickness and nothing worse

Tallyra Tue 20-Aug-13 11:39:22

thanks. I may make up a badge or T-shirt that says something like 'no, ginger does NOT help'! I've tried everything, including travel bands, and they just end up hurting after a while.

merk and tally have you tried ginger? I heard it really helps...

Haw haw haw

It's so personal isn't it? I obviously am getting off very lightly with just regular nausea and I find for me that snacking all the bloody time regularly is the only way to keep it at bay. I have packets of rich tea biscuits and bananas stashed everywhere.

Tallyra Tue 20-Aug-13 12:48:42

banana is a good idea. must remember to buy some

Shall I not share that I feel totally fine with no sickness whatsoever then? If it helps, it worries me massively that I'm NOT puking my guts up. Never happy, are we? doesn't help having vom lady putting in an epic performance every morning Tally hope this turns out to be normal ms. Here, have a gingernut <ducks sausage wang>

Hi Wimwom I'm sure I remember you! Hurrah for the bfp, are you joining us for a while so we can drive each other demented together?

So in latest news, I googled 'miscarriage with pcos'....er, why did I do that? 30-50% chance of miscarriage. Great, and I wasn't mental enough before.

Boom don't count your chickens yet, I felt fine until 6 weeks and it came on overnight

I'm getting waves of nausea every morning and then sporadically through the day. No sickness though but it's early days! When I wake up and don't feel sick I panic and I'm so much happier when I feel that first wave of nausea. Ridiculous!

Boom I was just googling miscarriage and the statistics are scary, although vary between 20% and 50% (I think that included those who never knew they were pg) but then last night I turned it round and thought, if last month someone had given me just 50% chance of getting a bfp I'd have snatched their hands off!!! No matter how bad the percentages you read, it's more likely to be good news than bad each time. So why is it so difficult to be positive?!

One thing I'm worrying about it what I can do now - and this is going to out me completely! - I have a zombie run and a mountain bike coaching weekend coming up in October. The zombie run is a 5k run over obstacles (eg walls, under rope nets etc) and the mountain biking is, well, mountain biking. Not crazy downhill racing, but will still involve pushing myself over more tricky terrain.

Part of me doesn't want to pull out of either because it might not be an issue anyway (there's that positive thinking again hmm) . Part of me thinks the zombie run will be ok as long as I avoid anything I could fall off/ensure DP runs it with me and helps me over every obstacle. I was the one who persuaded everyone else to do it and got a team of 10 together so it's going to be difficult to come up with a valid reason for me dropping out if I'm still running other races.
The mountain biking I think I'm just feeling guilty as I know the person running it and I was booked in on a previous course but had to cancel. I don't want to cancel again unless I know I'm safely pg, but I think this would be too close to the date to then cancel. I might just have to tell her the issue.

Tallyra Tue 20-Aug-13 15:53:06

barking, I read somewhere that you shouldn't start new exercise but if you've been doing it for a while, carry on. I know that isn't what is worrying you though. it's weird - some people say gently gently, and others like to say don't change a thing. I'd say the races will be fine, but you don't want to be falling over. its a difficult one!

That's the thing. I'm not going to get much out of the mountain biking course if I'm just constantly terrifed I might fall off even more than usual so it really wouldn't be worth doing. I just feel bad for canceling again. And also don't want to cancel and then the worst happens and I didn't need to. I think I'm just going to have to be honest with the girl running it - tell her I'm pg but it's early days and leave it with her.

The exercise thing is difficult. I've been running regularly again since April (before that had a long lay off due to illness/injury) and I'm back to comfortably running 10k on and off road, but was training towards a trail half marathon in October. I haven't actually booked my place yet and I think I might have to leave it as I've been struggling the last couple of times I've been for a run in California and it's not just the heat as it was really hot when we left the uk and I'd still been racing. As you said Tally all the advice is about maintaining current levels of exercise, and not pushing yourself harder.

I don't really do any exercise apart from loads of walking and I'm really struggling with that! Just don't seem to have enough puff- I read somewhere about your oxygen levels decreasing (perhaps because you are sending blood elsewhere?) but maybe this isn't right as loads of people remain really sporty throughout. Just thought it might add to why running is more difficult at the moment?

Tallyra Tue 20-Aug-13 16:45:32

I'm already having trouble with energy walking Tallydog. walked to the shops today with dh and was really out of breath, it's not usually hard work!

Thunder I'm out of breath too so maybe it is pregnancy related
I was on a very very bumpy speedboat the other day and panicked, it made me figure that it seems silly to do anything that could risk miscarriage at this stage, IMO you wouldn't want to be in a position where you looked back and wishes you hadn't done something in a what if kind of way

Yeah I think it is pregnancy related- its weird isn't it?

Because they found out last time that I have rhesus negative blood, I will need an anti-D injection later in the pregnancy if I get there. However I must also get one now if I have any knocks or bumps where blood might cross over from bean to me. A good excuse to go steady!

Agree entirely Merk. I definitely won't be doing the mountain biking course when pg, my issue is purely how long to leave it before cancelling! Again with the zombie run. Realistically there's no way I'll be taking part pg, but I'm struggling to see myself as 12 wks pg so it doesn't seem real.

My only dilemma is cycling. I cycle to work every day. In years and years of cycling as an adult I have only fallen off my bike once, and that was when a white van knocked me over in London. My commute is only very short, less than 2 miles one way, and mostly quiet back roads, but do I stop cycling just in case? Would this be taking it too far?

thunder I have O- blood, didn't know about that until you mentioned it!

When are you 12 weeks barking? How little notice does it leave to cancel?

I definitely wouldn't stop your cycling commute if it were me. Sounds absolutely fine. I am B- blood, I don't know if that is rare <goes to look it up> oo it looks like only 7% of the population are O- and 2% are B-

We are weirdos special!

Haha you bloody weirdos <laughs at own bad joke>

Glad some of you are feeling out of puff. I'm struggling with the stairs in the house - no joke! Keep getting to the top and thinking 'Phewf'! Hooray, I have a symptom and constipation

Barking I think your cycle to work is fine. Personally I wouldn't do anything that is likely to cause a heavy fall, that's why I gave up roller derby last time round fat lot of good that did me but a short gentle cycle to work is hardly high risk.

(Bwahah, how weird to be talking about cycles in any context except ttc)

What are you then boom? Some O+ commoner type?

Ha I think I'm AB pos or something boring like that. You and your posh blood will be laughing on the other side of your face when you have to have your Anti-D wink

Yeah I expect I will! They gave it to me whilst under GA last time but obviously hope I'm awake for it this time. Kind of...

<goes away to count on the calendar> I'll be 12 weeks only 5 days before the course, so too late to cancel. I'll drop her a line and explain the situation.

How close to 12 weeks do you tend to get the scan, does anyone know? Is it anything from 12 weeks onwards <prepares herself for possibly a longer wait>.

I think it's 11- 14 or maybe 13 weeks? Mine is due to be when I am 11+5.

Sounds like telling her is the best option

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now