Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

What's the point in a top and tail bowl? Do I need one?

(39 Posts)
Madratlady Tue 06-Aug-13 13:45:06

Basically what the title says. Is there a point in them that I'm missing?

Madratlady Tue 06-Aug-13 18:35:54

Xena I found the Mumsnet list of essentials good. I also went through a few other online lists and picked out the stuff that I'd actually need and use. I ended up with 2 lists - essential and 'nice to have'.

spanky2 Tue 06-Aug-13 17:58:18

I used baby wipes. I was too worried I would get the top and tail bowl ends muddled up.

Xenadog Tue 06-Aug-13 17:55:45

I have never heard of a top and tail bowl!

Seriously I have no idea what to buy and I think I might need a list - does anyone know of a realistic and useful list for what you need for a baby?

Offcolour Tue 06-Aug-13 16:20:09

Dh and I always giggle about when I was pregnant with dc1 and I said "I'd just feel so much more relaxed if I had the top and tail bowl". Never used it for either dc. Complete waste of time. Use two different bowls.

CPtart Tue 06-Aug-13 16:15:20

I had one-barely used it.
I also had a matching baby bath and changing table, barely used those either, just dunked them in the big bath, much easier!

FoofFighter Tue 06-Aug-13 16:12:54

Yes two bowls could do the same job, but it's easier to carry the top n tail bowl ;)

starfishmummy Tue 06-Aug-13 16:06:38

Handy if you are using water &cotton wool for bum changes. Store the cotton wool, nappies and any cream and potions in one side and put water in the other. I wouldn't have bought one but was given one and did find it useful.

blueshoes Tue 06-Aug-13 16:00:18

My top and tail bowl was one of the baby things I used the most ... and I hardly used any. I used it like fluff further down the thread. Clean water in one and, in my case, wipes or tissue paper in the other. I prefer to use fresh water to clean my baby's bottom and they rarely had nappy rash.

Maryz Tue 06-Aug-13 15:57:01

According to my mum at the time, for a newborn you need a few baby grows and vests, boobs or bottles and stuff for you - nipple cream/cabbage leaves/enormous knickers/chocolate.

And a car seat for getting home. That's about it.

As your baby gets older you will be buying so much crap; don't waste money now.

Madratlady Tue 06-Aug-13 15:53:08

Maryz that's why I started this thread, the list of stuff to get is so small that I'm starting to wonder whether I've missed something! Essentials only, then maybe a few 'nice to haves' if we can afford it. It's all going to be second hand anyway.

Maryz Tue 06-Aug-13 15:24:00

They are useful for storing marbles. And for keeping lego bits in when making complicated models.

You don't need one. Or a baby bath. Or a changing table (use a changing mat on a chest-of-drawers with enough storage for nappies and other crap).

In fact, you don't need most of the stuff you currently think you are going to need.

JulesJules Tue 06-Aug-13 15:18:29

I would say no point and you don't need one.

Somethingpink Tue 06-Aug-13 15:11:11

I've just purchased one from kiddicare for £1.99. I put a bit of baby wash and warm water in one side and cotton wool balls in the other side and then clean the baby from head to toe on none bath nights or when baby has vomited a bit but not too much that a bath is needed. I found them really useful with other dc.

Panzee Tue 06-Aug-13 15:04:52

I used baby wipes for cleaning between baths.

Quenelle Tue 06-Aug-13 15:02:52

I can't understand why people are so against them, I used mine a lot.

My sister recommended it to me. She's a midwife who has had four children and is definitely not the kind to buy all the gear for the sake of it. For example, she advised to wait before getting a changing table to see if we really needed it, and we never did.

I don't know if I used the bowl 'correctly'. I used to have water in one side and the used nappy and liner in the other to take to the toilet and flush away.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Tue 06-Aug-13 14:46:43

Absolutely no idea! On my second PG now and have no idea why these are manufactured in the first place when two small bowls will do the exact same job.

Madratlady Tue 06-Aug-13 14:43:12

i've asked if I can have it. She's giving some left over open packs of breast pads and maternity pads away too. I plan to use reusable nappies, wipes and breast pads in the long run but there's no point turning down free stuff.

FoofFighter Tue 06-Aug-13 14:21:12

I've got one, cost £2.50 in Tesco, I will be using cloth nappies and cloth wipes though so maybe have more of a use for it than others would. I don't think a butter tub would work for me as it'd be a tad flimsy, this bowl is solid.

If it's free go for it smile

RunningBear78 Tue 06-Aug-13 14:16:28

I've seen them used as very convenient receptacles for storing cotton wool balls and other baby cleaning equipment, although I know that isn't what it is for.

Our maternity unit tells people not to bother with one and to use a plastic tub instead.

But if there is one going free ... I reckon it could be good for holding water in one side and cotton wool balls in the other? Depends how far you are washing from a sink/bin etc?

flatmum Tue 06-Aug-13 14:14:02

god no. just use wetwipes from day 1 (nice ones obviously)

1) to make you spend money uneccesarily
2) no

Just use any old tub and wash the top end first.

LittleBearPad Tue 06-Aug-13 14:07:28

You do NOT need one. I used to put dd on a towel and use wet cotton wool to give her a wipe.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 06-Aug-13 14:03:32

One bowl, wash face first, bum last.

fluffandnonsense Tue 06-Aug-13 14:02:59

I used mine all the time! Clean water on one side and dirty used cotton wool on the other.

If you can get one for free then why not have it to hand in case you need it grin

ChunkyChicken Tue 06-Aug-13 14:01:38

If you wash their face first, there isn't any chance of poo going near it.

Unless you use a sponge repeatedly I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now