Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

To sling or not to sling?

(67 Posts)
Rosenip Fri 02-Aug-13 16:41:51

What are the pros and cons? I am a clueless first time mum!

Also, which one should I get, it seems there are so many options...

enormouse Sat 03-Aug-13 14:25:41

It's the look hamwidge. I think he finds the wrap style a bit girly and he wants something more blokey. I'm against them for the reason everyone's given but I'll definitely check out the ergos and Mandriva. Thanks! smile

Ergos come in khaki grin

enormouse Sat 03-Aug-13 14:38:59

*manduca damn autocorrect

Danilou22 Sat 03-Aug-13 16:04:33

I did like my sling but my partner used it more that I did. I found them difficult to wear as I have big boobs normally let alone when I am breastfeeding!! I just couldn't make the baby comfortable and it felt like he was miles out in front of me!!!

Good luck I hope you find one you are happy with x

AnotherStitchInTime Sat 03-Aug-13 17:36:12

Hi enormous, I had a Baby Bjorn, but hated the weight distribution, plus it is bad for the baby's hips and spine.

DH was the same and didn't get on with the wrap, but happily wears the Manduca (it has a newborn insert as part of the carrier, you don't have to purchase it separately). We have a navy blue one, very masculine.

Ipp3 Sat 03-Aug-13 17:46:57

You need both. I actually think ds prefers the pram as he can see me and we can interact and have a laugh and smile together and he likes looking up at the trees overhead. He can't do this in a sling. Sling is great for newborn or for older child when you need to negotiate stairs but frankly my ds looks a bit 'meh' in the sling now!

PurplePidjin Sat 03-Aug-13 18:02:54

My dp has a Rose and Rebellion in red with little jolly roger skulls on, he prefers the "pretty" side to the plain black one grin

Ipp, ds is 8 months and loves being on my back. I just turn my head and we have a wee chatter! He has to be in the right mood for the buggy but the sling puts him in a good mood as soon as he's sat on it ready to go up!

MrsHoarder Sat 03-Aug-13 18:09:16

Shreddies I would have thought front-carrying was easier in the early days for ffers. No engorgement...

afrikat Sat 03-Aug-13 18:09:57

Hi sorry to hijack but my DH is really set on a baby bjorn (a couple of our friends have them and like them and he has seen quite a few people using them so thinks they should be good) but have seen a few people on here commenting that they could cause hip / back problems etc.

Have any studies been done on this / can you link to any evidence they are not a good option?

Thanks!

http://www.hipdysplasia.org/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip/prevention/baby-carriers-seats-and-other-equipment/

Sorry I can't dm the link properly. This was a quick google but its actually a v good explanation grin

Thanks for the zulily tip Hamwidge I had just decided on a close caboo carrier after loads of deliberation so have got myself a snazzy purple number smile

minesapackofminstrels Sat 03-Aug-13 18:28:34

I opened this as it was on most active. Sadly my sling days are pretty much over as my youngest is 2 and a half and would rather keep up with her older brothers than go in the ergo.
What I have noticed here is that people favor the slightly more obscure brands that would have to be ordered online rather than found in the local mothercare. I agree with everyone that the Baby Bjorn is uncomfortable. I loved my ringsling and my ergo even more. My middle child was a lazy wotsit and I remember using the ergo when he was 3 and he is a big for his age child.
What a shame the better brands are not more widely known.

No worries Clare - they look a lot better than when I had one - mine was thick jersey these look quite different and the colours are great grin

PurplePidjin Sat 03-Aug-13 19:03:52

Definitely, minstrels although John Lewis now do Ergo iirc smile

Mothercare did a webchat a while back and got an absolute hammering over slings and cloth nappies! grin

pookamoo Sat 03-Aug-13 19:42:31

Aww, shreddies I didn't mean to suggest you weren't bonded, just that the sling gives even more bonding time, even when you're not feeding the baby (however that may be!) smile

It's sooooooo lovely having them tucked up next to you!

dizzy77 Sat 03-Aug-13 20:33:58

Hi shreddies - sling using ff'er here grin. I wonder if it's one of those things, like people often assume I'm vegetarian and would like a skinny decaf latte. Doesn't seem to be a cloth bum thing round here but a bIT aspirational/NCT, I suppose based on my circle. Causing consternation as while ff'ing ds2 now using cow & gate rather than the expected aptamil as I poured too many unnecessary ££s down the sink with Ds1!

I didn't use a sling much with DS1 - like many had a second hand Baby Bjorn which I used when hanging washing etc, when he was outgrowing it at about 4mo I came on here to find a replacement and learned how bad they were blush.

Got a second hand ergo and love it, used for practicality rather than full on "babywearing" eg at groups/coffee meets where there would have been a buggy pile up and again for housework and short errands where not worth getting the buggy out.

Borrowing a Kari-me now for ds2 (8wo) and about to take plunge to buy one (ebay resale values are good) until he's big enough for the ergo. Would strongly recommend if only to get your hands back!

Xmasbaby11 Sat 03-Aug-13 21:45:13

I didn't really get on with the sling with DD - out and about the buggy was more practical as you can get your shopping in it (maybe I just lugged around too big a changing bag!), and in the house DD was always happier lying down.

Having said that, I had a Baby Bjorn, which seems to be getting a bad rap on here. And I feel so inspired by the positive stories, I think I will go to a sling session when DC2 is born and see if there is one that works for us. Very useful thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now