Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

help please! post-mmc positive stories please!!

(25 Posts)
kasareem Thu 01-Aug-13 17:13:10

Hi guys, I really need to hear any positive pregnancy outcomes from those if you who have previously suffered missed miscarriage. I went for my 12 week scan on Tuesday. I had no pain or bleeding and my symptoms were exactly the same right through (including morning sickness the morning of the scan). My uterus had grown a expected for 12 weeks and I even had the start of a bump going on! But at the scan there was no heartbeat and it only measured 8mm - about 6.5 weeks along. It was a big shock but I think I have come to terms with it. There was obviously something wrong and nothing could have changed what happened. The continuing symptoms were a very cruel trick though and it was my first pregnancy. So sorry for the long message but I could really do with hearing from any of you who have had the same and gone on to have successful pregnancies! Thanks x

ZingWidge Thu 01-Aug-13 17:19:54

so sorry for your loss. sad

I'm not sure about the difference between a mmc or a mc, but we lost a baby at 11+5 (my 5th pg)
had 2 healthy babies since

my only advice is to allow yourself to grieve.

kasareem Thu 01-Aug-13 17:24:18

Thank you zingwidge. I'm sorry for your loss too. An mmc is a silent miscarriage, as in I had no idea until the scan picked it up. We are getting married on Saturday so have lots of distraction at the moment, but I know what you are saying about allowing time to grieve. It's reassuring to hear you went on to have more babies! Thanks x

SunshineMiddle Thu 01-Aug-13 17:26:17

I had a very similar situation to yours. I had pregnancy symptoms and had just bought maternity jeans as normal ones were starting to get snug. Then at 10 weeks I had a scan and there was no baby but everything else had grown. For some people they get pregnant straight away. We took a bit longer (6 months or so) but I am now 31 weeks pregnant. I hope you have a successful pregnancy very soon. I would agree with the advice about allowing yourself time to grieve. xxx

kasareem Thu 01-Aug-13 17:31:02

Thank you sunshine - that sounds just like what happened to me. I went out to buy maternity clothes the day before scan but for some reason I put them back. Maybe I knew deep down? So happy for you and your pregnancy and I wish you lots of luck and happiness for the future! xx

Kirrin Thu 01-Aug-13 17:40:26

Sorry for your loss.

It happened to me too, although i did suspect that it had happened so it wasn't the massive shock that it could have been.
I got pregnant again the next month and i am now the proud owner of a 9 month oldsmile

Rtfairy Thu 01-Aug-13 17:47:43

Aww I'm really sorry that this has happened to you, the same happened to me last August. exact same scenario. I'm now 24 weeks pregnant and everything has been fine this time.

Give yourself time to get your head around things, it will happen again for you x

leeloo1 Thu 01-Aug-13 17:55:59

So sorry to hear your news. I had an mmc last July - I noticed 2 or 3 spots of blood and had an early private scan to double check all was ok (I really thought it would be, like you I had a slight bump, lots of ms etc). It was all pretty grim, but I got pregnant in December - which was really nerve wracking as this time I was just waiting for something to go wrong, but I'm now 34 weeks, so fingers x'd.

I don't know what route you're taking to mc, but I took the drugs option and it wasn't too painful/distressing (in that everything is pretty miserable when you know you're mc'ing). Also, once you know you've had a mmc then they can prescribe decent painkillers (codeine) and anti-sickness tablets (metaclopromide) which really helped me, as once I'd had the 2nd scan 10 days later to confirm it really was a mmc then the all-day ms felt like adding insult to injury.

Good luck with it all and I hope the wedding goes well for you.

ZingWidge Thu 01-Aug-13 18:00:42

aha, I never knew.

at the 12 week scan the sonographer picked up a problem with the nuchal translucency, baby seemed ok otherwise, moving around and all.
we had to have a scan 2 days later, a more detailed one - but there was no heartbeat by then.

so I never had any signs of mc either until 1st scan, but baby was still alive at that point so I guess mine can not be classified as a mmc, technically.

she'd be 4. I miss her and think of her everyday.sad

so sorry for all your losses.

Slavetominidictator Thu 01-Aug-13 18:17:42

I had a mmc. Discovered at 12 week scan - had stopped growing at nine weeks. No bleeding at all. Morning sickness until 10/11 weeks, small bump. Took me six weeks to not cry every time I was alone, usually in the car.
Three months later was pregnant again. Again, MS stopped at 10/11 weeks. I had three or four episodes of bleeding. I had completely convinced myself I was miscarrying every day for 40 weeks, however, now have a bouncing 14 month old dd.
When I had dd, it also took me six weeks to become emotionally stable again. I really think hormonally, give yourself the time to recover. Do hope your wedding can be a great focus for you both.
There is definitely hope.0

TotalShock Thu 01-Aug-13 19:09:14

I had a mmc In feb, baby stopped growing at 7 weeks but my body hadn't realised. It was my first pregnancy also. I had an erpc but I'm now 8 + 4 so I know how your feeling

Easier said than done but try and stay positive x

Alexandra6 Thu 01-Aug-13 19:43:27

Really sorry flowers A good friend had a mmc and got pregnant again and now has a lovely little one month old. I hope you enjoy your wedding and wish you lots and lots of luck for next time x

LittlePeaPod Thu 01-Aug-13 20:38:36

So sorry for you loss. It's heart breaking to lose your baby. flowers

I mc in February this year at 7 weeks. We continued ttc after the mc and got a BFP in May. I am now 18 weeks pregnant. There are lots of us that understand your pain Op but there ar positive outcomes. My thoughts are with you and your DP.

kasareem Thu 01-Aug-13 22:01:15

Thank you all for your positive comments and support. It's so kind of you all to share your feelings and experiences. Knowing others out there have been through it and things have got better really helps. I'm lucky that I have a lovely supportive hubby to be, and support from friends, family and mumsnet! xx

AmandinePoulain Thu 01-Aug-13 22:10:35

I'm sorry sad

Have you had your options explained to you? I went for the medical management (I was 11+ weeks when I had a tiny bleed, a scan showed an 8 week sized foetus with no hb). I'm happy to answer any questions if that's what you've chosen.

It took me a while to get pregnant again (9 months) but I now have a baby who will be 1 next weekend smile. I bled during her pregnancy (as did I with my older dd) and had an early scan as a result - I walked into that room expecting to be told it was over but there she was smile.

Good luck with your wedding, and expect to feel a rollercoaster of emotions over the coming weeks, I can honestly say the time between my mc and getting pregnant again was the hardest period of my life; but it was worth it in the end.

debz6108 Thu 01-Aug-13 22:19:07

I'm sorry for your loss. After taking ages to get pregnant I had to successive mcs and reached a point were I thought I'd never be able to have kids. Since then I've had 2 successful pregnancies. After deciding to have a third I got pregnant quicker than before but had a miscarriage I'm now pregnant again and have reached 14 weeks and I'm feeling very positive again. Don't lose hope I know of lots of positive outcomes from people who were even told by drs it was unlikely they could have a baby. I hope things work put for you soon smile

kasareem Thu 01-Aug-13 22:20:37

Leeloo and amandine,
Thank you for your support with the medical management, but I had to opt for surgical in the end. We were meant to be leaving to travel to our wedding venue straight after the scan, but had to put it off to go in for surgery the next day. If I had gonewn the medical route, the Dr said I would probably be miscarrying on my wedding day. In a way it seems easier as it's over and done with but I'm knackered from the anaesthetic and feeling pretty sore!

kasareem Thu 01-Aug-13 22:26:01

Thanks debz, it must be do hard to go through more than one MC - this first is bad enough. It's great hearing positive outcomes from people. A good aspect of the whole thing is that the sonographer had a good poke round and checked my ovaries looked good etc. plus we know we can get pregnant now - just need to keep it going next time!

dufflefluffle Thu 01-Aug-13 22:26:31

Positive story: when I got pg after three years of ttc I was over the moon. Thought: it's been a long hard journey but here we are at last. At 9 weeks I mc'd. I was devastated and the thought of another 3 or more years ttc with no success was so disheartening. 11 months to the day from my original due date I had my DS (no help conceiving him either!).
In the meantime: I was told at the time of mc that it gets easier after the due date and it did. Knowing that gave me a date to hang onto and to mourn without feeling guilty that I wasn't "getting over it".
I wish you every success in ttc and sympathise for your lost baby.

Myliferocks Thu 01-Aug-13 22:29:29

My 2nd pregnancy ended in m/c at 11 weeks.
I went on to have 4 more children, the first of which was due pretty much a year to the day of the baby I lost.

TangfasticMrFoxalastic Thu 01-Aug-13 22:31:29

So sorry for your loss sad it's so hard to deal with, I mourned the loss of the baby and the life I was anticipating with the baby...

Mmc first pg here, pg again and had massive early bleed but all turned out fine and he's snoring away in the next room. Now expecting no.2 in 5 weeks. Every time I got pg straight away, though I think I'm one of the lucky few in that sense x

surprise11871 Thu 01-Aug-13 22:44:54

So sorry for your loss i have had 2 mmc one at 11 weeks baby stopped developing at 7 and one at 10 weeks the pregnancy sack grew in comparison to dates but baby didn't grow past the 6 week stage. Just because you have unfortunately gone through this terrible experience loss once does not mean you will again our third times a charm is upstairs in bed waiting for his first tooth to finally cut through properly. Make sure you take the time to grieve how ever you decide to do this in the way that is best for you. Things can work out i was a nervous wreck however my lo was definitely worth it i wish u all the luck in the future and be kind to yourself. We took a year out of trying then we were lucky enough to get pregnant the first month we started trying x

kasareem Fri 02-Aug-13 07:18:30

Oh surprise, I'm sorry for your losses, I'm not sure how I would handle the same happening twice. so happy that you have your lovely little one now though xx

upsydaisy33 Fri 02-Aug-13 19:03:46

1 mmc
1 dc
1mmc
Now in third trimester.

It is hard, do look at the miscarriage association and the mc boards on mn. You may find it hard to enjoy any future pregnancy as much as others do, especially the first trimester. Take care of yourself and let others be kind to you too. Will be thinking of you.
Xx

kasareem Fri 02-Aug-13 21:12:55

Thank you upsydaisy for your kind words, and I'm sorry for your mmcs. Wishing you every luck with the rest of this pregnancy xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now