Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Laptops close to bump. Is it OK?

(8 Posts)
fluffyraggies Thu 01-Aug-13 09:02:14

Has anyone changed the way they use their laptop now they are pregnant?

It's just occurred to me that it may not be a good idea to sit here with my laptop right by baby bump! I don't have a desk but I use my laptop for a good 2 or 3 hours a day all together.

Quick google has, as usual, produced vague results.
Heat = not good.
Radiation = seems inconclusive as far as i can find out.

What do you all do? (if you're sofa lap-toppers)

SeriousStuff Thu 01-Aug-13 09:10:35

I think the main issue would be heat. I have still been using mine on my lap just not on my bump...and now at 29+6 wks, there's no way it would balance on my stomach anyway!

LateBear Thu 01-Aug-13 09:25:46

I put a cushion or pillow under it, not sure if that makes any difference!

fluffyraggies Thu 01-Aug-13 09:53:24

late bare - grin i was thinking of doing exactly that.

<imagines contacting NASA regarding the amazing radiation protection of cushions. Astronauts need worry no more!>

if I put a pillow or cushion under mine it overheats confused I hadn't really considered it would be a bad thing to use a laptop while pregnant...hmm

grin @ fluffy. perhaps they should give you a pillow suit to wear instead of those uncomfortable heavy lead jacket things when you go for an xray...

RobotHamster Thu 01-Aug-13 10:22:56

You'd be better off putting it on a tray or large book - only because putting it on a cushion will make it overheat

MultipleMama Thu 01-Aug-13 12:34:37

I use this fan laptop table. It's brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now