Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hospital bag

(52 Posts)
Loobylou123 Wed 31-Jul-13 12:42:04

Am getting packed... Only thing is I seem to be filling a usual weekend size bag with no room for any baby items yet! Don't want to look bonkers arriving with a suitcase. Here is what I have in it so far
2 nighties
Thin, short robe
Flip flops
Washbag with mini stuff and flannel
Pack of mat pads
Pack of breast pads

Does this seem like reasonable stuff to you? Also need to fit in nappies, cotton wool, wipes, vests, baby suits, hat, socks.

Can I ask what you all did/will do? I may need a rethink!

DaleyBump Thu 22-Aug-13 03:24:01

Bumping for others, finding this incredibly useful at the moment smile

Wow your hospital is generous Supermum - beware that other hosps may be much more tight resource wise. Ours disapproved of newborn wipes for DS but then was rather begrudging in giving us some cotton-wool. Sometimes the NHS really beggars belief !

freetrait Fri 02-Aug-13 11:42:49

Remember some clothes to go home in! Something nice and loose and floaty. Don't pack too many nappies, if you are in longer you can get DH to bring more in. I would take clothes for you and baby, wash bag and towel, maternity towels, I seem to remember the mothercare long bulky, soft ones were very good, softer the better! Enough pants you don't need to worry, buy one or two sizes bigger than normal. Two nighties or pjs. Breast pads-although you don't need many as actually milk comes in on day 2/3/4 so you start leaking normally when you are home from hospital, well I did. Cash for hospital telly card/internet, bit of food and drink but again don't go mad, DH can get if you need it later.
Good luck!

Want2bSupermum Fri 02-Aug-13 02:07:47

First time I brought all sort of things mentioned here. Second time, I was delivering at the same hospital and brought my laptop, powercord, a going home outfit for myself and one for the baby. I wore hospital gowns, the baby was in the little tshirts, diapers are provided (pampers ones too), you are given a toiletry bag with neutrogena products and they have bf stuff (shells, pads, cream etc). Leaving my room first time took me an hour to pack. With the second it took less than 10mins.

I love our local hospital. When I had my first the nurse came in just after I was admitted and made sure I had my socks on and my lip cream handy.

QueenofSleep Thu 01-Aug-13 22:16:18

What ladies always forget to bring, or can't find at crucial moments, are hair ties (if you have long hair), and lip salve.
Lucozade sport is always good to have on standby.
Good luck!

frankietwospots Thu 01-Aug-13 22:14:49

I echo Lansinoh - wonderful stuff. And ear plugs as hospitals are very noisy!

popocatepetl Thu 01-Aug-13 21:04:06

Oh and hand cream. especially if you're planning to use the birthing pool. My hands looked like they belonged to a 90 year old woman and were sooo sore.

IneedAsockamnesty Thu 01-Aug-13 19:58:26

Oh I forgot witch hazel that's a wonderful thing that soothes everything around your vagina and really helps after

Bejeena Thu 01-Aug-13 19:46:42

One thing that I have not seen anyone put on any of their lists or recommend is a pack of moist toilet tissue wipes and this was the one thing that I wish I had thought of but just sent husband out to shop for them.

I had our baby last weekend, I was only 36 weeks and hadn't actually packed my bag, when we realised that the period pains or wind that I had been having all afternoon might actually be contractions we decided to go to hospital and then I quickly packed my bag, or rather my mum did it for me, bless her, as she was staying with us.

blueskysunshine Thu 01-Aug-13 18:27:32

Defo sweets - and pure orange juice! My labour slowed down after my epidural and as a last ditch attempt to restart it the docs had me eat loads of jelly sweets and drink pure orange to get things moving. It worked! nb chocolate isnt a good idea, as not nice if you throw up.

impatienttobemummy Thu 01-Aug-13 16:56:50

second the black cotton huge primark pants (which I still have!) and my friend recommended to me to take frozen drinks on the big day as its so hot in hospital and you will appreciate a cold drink! This turned out to be a great idea as it was 30 degrees outside when I had DS!

Lanisoh!! and maybe even a set of nipple shields, they served me well.

Remember if you do end up staying in for more than 24 hrs or so you can always make someone (DH ?) feel useful by taking things home or bringing them in for you !

Loobylou123 Thu 01-Aug-13 14:26:26

There is so much to think about - I am a 'planner' so not knowing how long I may be there etc is a bit stressful. I will definitely be packing some snacks ... I don't think there would be much danger of me sharing my chocolate though!

Bunnygotwhacked Thu 01-Aug-13 13:03:09

Just as a warning all my babies were very mucousy post birth and needed several changes I think i brought 7 of each and needed dp to go for more. Bring three packs of maternity towels and have at least three more waiting at home so you won't have to nip out for a bit afterwards. I remember sending dp out for maternity pads whilst i was in the hospital as i had gone through my pack already was only in one night and he came back with maternity pants those dreadful drawstring ones.

Looking back I'd say some nice healthy snacks would be a great idea, and something good to read, or music to listen to, mainly for the post-natal ward.

Took masses of stuff with DC1 - remember having a nice time with SIL going through the list she gave me and ticking everything off !

With DC2 had hardly anything but was only in hospital for half hour before he was born, and then a few hours later went home. Remember someone vaguely disapproving of us using newborn baby wipes on our newborn, so you might want to take in some cotton-wool to use with water - to keep nurses happy, and your newborn's bottom !

Good luck flowers

Maggietess Thu 01-Aug-13 10:26:15

Personally for after labour I found pyjamas much more pleasant than nighties (and more "secure" iykwim?). I brought one pyjama top and 3 bottoms and was able to then change them regularly.

My hospital gave you maternity pads which looked enormous but we're far better than anything I'd brought! They were also happy to provide formula throughout and cotton wool for nappy changes. May be worth checking what your own provides.

A pillow is a good call, hospital ones are rotten. And if you're staying overnight then get your OH to take the labour bag home as well as any washing of yours or baby's so there's less to take when you're leaving with the baby.

With dd2 I knew I would be in for a few nights but I still packed minimally and had extra nightwear, pants, baby stuff in a pile at home. DH then brought home all my labour gear and washing and brought the bag back next day with all the clean stuff.

BusyCee Thu 01-Aug-13 09:30:19

Pair of warm socks. I know it's the height of the best summer we've had on eons, but my feet got fer-eeeezing during first labour. Blood is diverted from non-necessary parts of the body during labour, and consequently extremities can get jolly chilly. (Mind you, I had x2 home births, so haven't faced the sub-tropical hospital environments noted above)

Good luck! Relax and trust your body. X

Loopylala7 Thu 01-Aug-13 09:16:06

I had a pretty large case, but most things came in handy. My two best tips though, get some body form night pads, they are much more comfortable than the horrible brick things they give you in hospital, and the best brand I've tried (if they are on offer buy a few packs for home too). Also get lots of tasty snacks, hospital food can be awful. I made the mistake of packing diet drinks - don't, you'll appreciate the sugar kick! and I can remember getting my DH to go off and fetch me a pizza because the food was soo bad I was ravenous! Good luck!

IneedAsockamnesty Thu 01-Aug-13 07:57:42

I always have a bag that I leave at home full of anything I may need for an extended stay.

I take a small bag with me 1 pack of each for baby clothes cotton wool nappies. Pads nightwear any meds I need and then I just wing it.

Its never not worked for me.

But it very much depends on what the hospitals like.

Svrider Thu 01-Aug-13 07:56:25

If your dh is involved ensure he doesn't leave the ward for the night with your carefully packed bag, to "save the hassle the next day!"
Yes he really did this
Leaving me with no nappies, change of clothes etc...
I also had to beg the staff for new maternity pads every 2hours
Apparently in his mind the bag was for the labour ward, and therefore no longer required once the baby had been born!

roselover Wed 31-Jul-13 23:37:28

If you get cold sores - remember zovirax - or however you spell it - I was so exhausted by looking after my twins on my own for three days - while my LOndon hospital was so understaffed they left me to it - that I got the mother of all cold sores (no chemist would sell it for my use- and the hospital wouldn't supply it) and I passed the virus onto the twins - that I was breast feeding - needless to say they got really il - this is not a pleasant thing to write about but thankfully I had read in the Daily Mail that the cold sore virus can kill new borns - so I had a inkling about it - my kids were on anti virals for three weeks - they are three now - but it was an awful time for us - be prepared

SimLondon Wed 31-Jul-13 23:24:04

Food - after two days without eating i felt very fortunate that i had packed cake as the hospital food was awful.

Actually i had an emergency galaxy bar in my bag during labour - but felt obliged to share it with everyone in the room

Sports bottle of water. Great for drinking when you can't manage an ordinary bottle or cup. A lightweight dressing gown preferably in a dark colour so you can keep any embarrassing stains to yourself. Snacks. Something to read afterwards. Definitely more than one vest for the baby. They do poo!

BewleyBear Wed 31-Jul-13 22:33:11

A cardy to sling over your shoulders for those first mummy and baby photo's.

I remember all the rellies wanted a pic of me and dd and of course I was more than happy to oblige. However when I saw myself in the photos in those spaghetti strap nighties (soooo hot on the ward) I wished I'd covered up a bit. Might just be me though! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now